Link: Transfer QBs felt misled by Coach Saban

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
If this was just Barnett, I would write it off. Bateman was a stand up guy who didn't quit on Alabama even when it became clear that he was not going to get a shot to start. I'll accept him at his word. He felt that Saban didn't communicate things well enough with him, so Saban didn't.

If Kiffin was spinning things with the QBs (a real possibility), that is still on Saban. He knows how important communication is, and it is his program.

ETA - I have teen boys. They tend to hear what they want to hear. You really have to make sure that they hear what you mean, not what they want to hear. It takes effort on both sides to effectively communicate.
I tend to agree with this.

Bateman got beat out by a QB (Coker) who was beat out by an ex-RB (Sims). Think about that for a minute... I think Bateman is one of those guys who is a really good athlete, the best at his HS, who gets put into the QB role, but that who likely should have switched positions in college. As a receiver or possibly even a S, i think he could have been a contributor.

As for BB, like others have said, that situation is a combination of four things: 1. Jalen proved he needed to play early in camp. 2. BB did pretty well in camp, but not well enough to close the door on Jalen. 3. BB's in-game performance was not very good, where Jalen showed he was more game-ready (despite the fumble on the first snap). 4. Other adults (CLK and BB's dad) not looking at it objectively that the player that just beat out BB was headed for an all-SEC and SEC offensive player of the year honors as a True Freshmen, which I don't think ANYONE would have predicted.
Well, Coker lost the job to Sims but had limited time in the offense at that point but I get your point. I'm not at all disagreeing how the QB situation was handled but I don't think BB really got a real shot at the starting job vs USC. He got only 2 series before Jalen came in and took over for most of the game. Its not like JH was killing it after his 1st 2 series either...

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I'm not trying to play the "I'm connected" card but everyone I spoke to leading up to that game said JH would play early and often. No way that was a locker room secret. As one noted Bama fan tweeted earlier, those guys heard what they wanted to hear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I mean, same thing, I was still living in Tuscaloosa at the time so I heard the chatter that he was outperforming the other 3 in camp. How much of it was informed chatter? I know some of it was at least.

I do think that Saban was trying to mitigate pressure on Hurts and kinda ended up playing Bateman perhaps unintentionally. Blake Barnett was just being a baby. He was the real 1 v. 2 with Hurts and when he looked like a deer in headlights against Southern Cal he lost his opportunity then took his ball and went home.

superbamashane

1st Team
Aug 14, 2006
Sylacauga, AL
I might be in the minority on this, but leading into the USC game I don't think they miscommunicated anything to BB. I think it was his job to lose, and that's exactly what he did. When the lights came on, he and Hurts switched roles. I really believe the staff wanted the more experienced Barnett under center, but he faltered and Hurts surprised everyone.

Sent from my STUDIO SELFIE using Tapatalk

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
They were asked their opinions on what happened here from their perspective and they gave it. I didn't see it as bashing Saban.

They are gone and I hope they have successful lives. We play a game in 25 days so I'm not going to concern myself with them.

Last edited:

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Few writers have chimed on this:
Aaron Suttles- " Blake Barnett didn't win the starting quarterback job in 2015 and 2016 for one reason: he was a turnover machine in scrimmages."
Marq Burnett- "Bateman had every chance to start in 2015. Hurts was the best player for the team last season ( 2016). All the veterans loved him. That's it. "

Another person chimed in:
Hunter Johnson- "Every person I talked to the week of USC game said " Expect Hurts to play a lot" Bateman & Barnett heard what they wanted to hear."

So really....

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
If this was just Barnett, I would write it off. Bateman was a stand up guy who didn't quit on Alabama even when it became clear that he was not going to get a shot to start. I'll accept him at his word. He felt that Saban didn't communicate things well enough with him, so Saban didn't.

If Kiffin was spinning things with the QBs (a real possibility), that is still on Saban. He knows how important communication is, and it is his program.

ETA - I have teen boys. They tend to hear what they want to hear. You really have to make sure that they hear what you mean, not what they want to hear. It takes effort on both sides to effectively communicate.
My boy is 17 now and I am very happy to see others feel the same way.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I might be in the minority on this, but leading into the USC game I don't think they miscommunicated anything to BB. I think it was his job to lose, and that's exactly what he did. When the lights came on, he and Hurts switched roles. I really believe the staff wanted the more experienced Barnett under center, but he faltered and Hurts surprised everyone.

Saban has said he gathered from talking to the leadership council during camp last year that Jalen was winning over the team.

Don't recall seeing anything last year from Saban to suggest the staff wanted BB8 to win the job.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Given Barnett's family situation, you'd think he'd keep his mouth shut.

And to complain that Saban bashed him - if you think you're man enough to be the starter at Alabama, then cowboy up and take some criticism.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Let's see what former Bama assistant and now Arizona State OC Billy Napier decides to do with Barnett. Does he start him week one or does Barnett play backup again this year?

superbamashane

1st Team
Aug 14, 2006
Sylacauga, AL
Saban has said he gathered from talking to the leadership council during camp last year that Jalen was winning over the team.

Don't recall seeing anything last year from Saban to suggest the staff wanted BB8 to win the job.
I'm not saying they made anything public. I'm saying that from a coaches perspective you have to think that they wanted the more experienced player in the game, and break the true freshman in a little at a time. Everybody knew Hurts was good and everybody knew he would play. I don't think anybody expected a true freshman to come in and take over the starting job in the first quarter of the first game.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
I'm not saying they made anything public. I'm saying that from a coaches perspective you have to think that they wanted the more experienced player in the game, and break the true freshman in a little at a time. Everybody knew Hurts was good and everybody knew he would play. I don't think anybody expected a true freshman to come in and take over the starting job in the first quarter of the first game.

Lot of people expected Hurts to play very early in that game.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Well technically, the more experienced player (Bateman) did start the game. Then, Jalen got his chance and shined. When BB8 got his chance, he looked like he put on a football pads for the first time.

Ideal situation for the coaches would have been to RS Jalen and start Bateman or BB8 for the season. No doubt.

Jalen won over the team during summer workouts, fall camp, and the first few games. The coaches knew it, too.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL

This is also the freshman that fumbled his first college snap. For CNS and everyone else to even trot him back out the next series shows who they were more confident in to play winning football.

superbamashane

1st Team
Aug 14, 2006
Sylacauga, AL
Well technically, the more experienced player (Bateman) did start the game. Then, Jalen got his chance and shined. When BB8 got his chance, he looked like he put on a football pads for the first time.

Ideal situation for the coaches would have been to RS Jalen and start Bateman or BB8 for the season. No doubt.

Jalen won over the team during summer workouts, fall camp, and the first few games. The coaches knew it, too.
I'm not disputing anything anybody said on here. Everyone knew he was talented, everyone knew he would play early, and based on reports we all knew that the team was getting behind him. Alabama was the number one team in the country and defending national champions on a very very big stage. That kid stepped out on the field less than a month after turning 18 and took over. He did everything we all expected him to so. He just did it a little earlier than I personally thought he would.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Few writers have chimed on this:
Aaron Suttles- " Blake Barnett didn't win the starting quarterback job in 2015 and 2016 for one reason: he was a turnover machine in scrimmages."
Marq Burnett- "Bateman had every chance to start in 2015. Hurts was the best player for the team last season ( 2016). All the veterans loved him. That's it. "

Another person chimed in:
Hunter Johnson- "Every person I talked to the week of USC game said " Expect Hurts to play a lot" Bateman & Barnett heard what they wanted to hear."

So really....
These are the real story.

BB was likely told - you will start the game. What he heard was "you are our starter", i.e. you've won the QB battle, when it's likely Saban meant, you've earned the start for this game and we'll continue to evaluate how you guys react in game situations.

imaloyalone

Super Moderator
Jan 9, 2005
Northport, AL
These are the real story.

BB was likely told - you will start the game. What he heard was "you are our starter", i.e. you've won the QB battle, when it's likely Saban meant, you've earned the start for this game and we'll continue to evaluate how you guys react in game situations.
When you've got people around you saying "that means you'll be starting indefinitely - as well you should be", then it's pretty easy to "hear" that message.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.