Link: Transfer QBs felt misled by Coach Saban

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Well, he didn't deny or refute any of the statements made by the players.
Though they aren't HIS players any more, they are still players - it's never been Saban's style to throw something back in the face of a student athlete. The closest he came was giving McCarron a clap-back right after he left the program in 2013. It would be very difficult to flatly deny it without essentially indicting them as liars or looking like he is getting into a mud-slinging war with a couple of college students. I think a measured and diplomatic response was the right one and every coach across the nation is probably nodding with that "understanding" bob.

CrimsonPride

1st Team
Dec 9, 2001
Chattanooga, TN
Well, he didn't deny or refute any of the statements made by the players.
Not explicitly, but by stating what he told them and his long-standing philosophy on playing time he did. Ther is no upside in CNS calling them liars. IT would only generate more negative PR.

I honestly cannot see CNS telling Bateman that he is THE starter. He may have said you will start this game. His statement makes it sound like he was ok with competing with Barnette for the QB spot but not Jalen. This makes no sense to me.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Though they aren't HIS players any more, they are still players - it's never been Saban's style to throw something back in the face of a student athlete. The closest he came was giving McCarron a clap-back right after he left the program in 2013. It would be very difficult to flatly deny it without essentially indicting them as liars or looking like he is getting into a mud-slinging war with a couple of college students. I think a measured and diplomatic response was the right one and every coach across the nation is probably nodding with that "understanding" bob.
I get all of that, but let's be honest with ourselves. I have 2 boys. I know that they hear what they want to hear. I have learned over the years how to very clearly communicate with them. I have learned how to make sure that they are hearing what I mean, not what they want to hear. And sometimes I just let them hear what they want to hear because it is just easier. Well, that is what happened here.

Saban has dealt with a lot more young people than I have. He knows how to clearly communicate with each and every one of them. Sometimes it is easier, or just serves his purpose, to let them hear what they want to hear. It doesn't mean that Saban did anything wrong, but it does leave room for these kind of hard feelings.

Saban is the best in the business, but let's not fool ourselves. Just like everyone else in a position like his - he uses people to achieve larger goals. Not everyone is going to get to play, but he needs everyone to believe - to buy in. So he has to let these kids hear what they want to hear, or what they need to hear, from time to time. That's just the way it works.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
I get all of that, but let's be honest with ourselves. I have 2 boys. I know that they hear what they want to hear. I have learned over the years how to very clearly communicate with them. I have learned how to make sure that they are hearing what I mean, not what they want to hear. And sometimes I just let them hear what they want to hear because it is just easier. Well, that is what happened here.

Saban has dealt with a lot more young people than I have. He knows how to clearly communicate with each and every one of them. Sometimes it is easier, or just serves his purpose, to let them hear what they want to hear. It doesn't mean that Saban did anything wrong, but it does leave room for these kind of hard feelings.

Saban is the best in the business, but let's not fool ourselves. Just like everyone else in a position like his - he uses people to achieve larger goals. Not everyone is going to get to play, but he needs everyone to believe - to buy in. So he has to let these kids hear what they want to hear, or what they need to hear, from time to time. That's just the way it works.
Agreed. Maybe he knew the only chance of getting Barnett to perform was to build him up. He knew barnett was already threatening transfer. When Barnett didn't do well coach made a change and Barnett kind of checked out.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia

We aren't disagreeing. I just wanted to point out the fact that even if Saban had let them hear what they wanted to hear he couldn't flatly deny their claims in public. The optics would have been awful. I was just supporting the statement he made as it succinctly and graciously closes the book on this silly little episode between them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Ultimately, I don't give a crap what Bateman and that girl think Saban said - they both had their chance and it was obvious in both cases they didn't have what it takes to lead the team to victory. They can whine about what CNS did or didn't say, but when it counted they weren't good enough.

That's life, suck it up buttercup.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
You can't be a head coach at any level without creating some hurt feelings. This whole deal just seemed beneath college athletes. It is some real high school hurt feelings type of crying. It isn't like he started the kid whose dad bankrolls the boosters program. He started the kid who he thought would help this team win more games (and the team leadership agreed).

And I definitely think there was some mix signals for Blake Barnett because he was "Kiffin's guy" who I believe got every chance from his coordinator to win the job. I'm not sure what in the heck Bateman thought after that awful 2015 Ole Miss game and a mediocre-at-best 2016 A-Day. But if either have problems, they need to ask themselves why the leadership was going to bat for Hurts seeing the field and not them.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was reading kyallie's news items the other day about the kids that transferred and the QB's really haven't helped their argument about being able to play at a high enough level to be our QB. This just goes to show what most of us realize that Coach Saban knows what he is doing with these kids.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.