Link: Transfer QBs felt misled by Coach Saban

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Should have just stayed, could have had a ring and at least shake hands with a pro scout.
On the other hand, he freed up a scholly by leaving. Sorry to hear that it didn't work out for him, but it was better for Alabama that these guys moved on.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
Other than Cook at Memphis, the recent transfers are having zero impact

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pilot172000

1st Team
Sep 25, 2017
Winnsboro, LA
I look at all these QBs that transferred and then failed to do anything a a cause for concern. Is it because we aren't doing a good enough job evaluating them as prospects or are we bringing so many four and five star QBs and discerning who are real and who are fake? I'm very please with what we have right now, just fearful of what's going to happen when we do hit a dud like LSU has the last 5 plus years.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
On the other hand, he freed up a scholly by leaving. Sorry to hear that it didn't work out for him, but it was better for Alabama that these guys moved on.
I was trying to think through various scenarios, in terms of who I would have liked to stay. What I came up with was Bateman. Despite his limitations, he could at least run the offense and would be better than a walk-on. He'd basically just be there to preserve Tua's redshirt though. Then that gets into trying to determine the bigger priority, having the better backup ready to go, or preserving a year of eligibility. Not sure how that would have gone, but it would have been nice to have some depth I suppose... oh well.

I look at all these QBs that transferred and then failed to do anything a a cause for concern. Is it because we aren't doing a good enough job evaluating them as prospects or are we bringing so many four and five star QBs and discerning who are real and who are fake? I'm very please with what we have right now, just fearful of what's going to happen when we do hit a dud like LSU has the last 5 plus years.
I think you can look at the relative success by the starters as an indication that Alabama actually does a decent job evaluating talent once they get on campus. As you mentioned LSU is an example of how you can completely strike out. Alabama hasn't completely struck out, they've always managed to dig up a guy who can get the job done. The fact that the transfers tend to struggle is just evidence that Alabama picks the right guys to start...

Cruiser

All-American
Sep 24, 2015
Coach:" So, Blake you know that $750 crimson sweater you were going to buy?
Blake: "Yes, Coach"
Coach" So, maybe you better transfer instead?"
Blake: "You are probably right"
Coach " Yes, I am probably right, good luck"

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
"Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit"......

Glad I didn't make a bet on who would be the 1st one to do this.....I thought for sure 'BB8' was the odds on favorite.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
It's an idea that has been tossed around before. My first thought in retrospect was to suspect the same thing. But consider this:

Even decent QB's are very hard to find. The QB position is mind bogglingly difficult to play and as much as money has gone into reducing the position down to a science, most successful QB's just have to have a special knack for it. It takes a weird combination of genetics to make a decent QB. So they are rare. If you look across college football most teams don't have solid QB play. They hope to have game managers or a guy who can run around and make fluky miracles happen and they are lucky if they can get that.

Most teams end up with a WB like LSU has or like a Josh Dobbs sort. Someone who has nearly all the elements to become a good QB but is missing a thing or two and is mediocre to bad depending on the opponent.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Unfortunately Kendall Sheffield is playing pretty well at tOSU for CUM right now too...(No offense BIG)
I wouldn't go that far. Not sure if it's still the case after playing Army but at one point OSU was ranked dead last IRT passing yards allowed in the FBS. Sheffield made a few plays in the Indiana game but he's also given up a ton of yardage..

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
No other position in football has the evaluation become more difficult with these gimmick circus offenses than quarterback. Everybody throws for 5,000 yards and 40 touchdowns, every guy hits the deep ball, every guy has a cannon. The problem is most of these schools have the best players on offense so he's throwing to the best athletes on his team defended by someone not on their level of talent. They're also benefiting from the scheme and the defenses have trouble adjusting at the high school level. It's just a crap shoot for the intangibles that put the tangibles together and make the quarterback click.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
[FONT=&quot]I haven't watched either play...I was just going by what I read here, and they look pretty comparable.

Safety Jonathan Cook (Memphis)
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Most recent game: Cook posted seven tackles during a 44-31 win over Southern Illinois.
[/FONT]

Season Stats:[FONT=&quot] (Three games) 21 tackles, one stop for a loss, two pass breakups
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Cornerback Kendall Sheffield (Ohio State)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Most recent game: Sheffield had three tackles during a 54-21 win over UNLV.
[/FONT]

Season Stats:[FONT=&quot] (Four games) 17 tackles, two pass breakups, one fumble recovery
[/FONT]

I wouldn't go that far. Not sure if it's still the case after playing Army but at one point OSU was ranked dead last IRT passing yards allowed in the FBS. Sheffield made a few plays in the Indiana game but he's also given up a ton of yardage..

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Yah, we have no experience at CB so we have not been very good. But Kendall has been very solid.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
He wasn't good enough to start for us, but he'll do for y'all. :wink:

Only slightly joking. If your defense wasn't sort of retooling in the secondary he'd be riding pine there for a year as well.
We have been so solid in the secondary for the last 4 years that this is pretty tough to watch. Our d-line is pretty good, but when a QB goes fast our secondary can't make up the difference. That is how the Sooners beat us. We just couldn't get to Mayfield in time.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
He wasn't good enough to start for us, but he'll do for y'all. :wink:

Only slightly joking. If your defense wasn't sort of retooling in the secondary he'd be riding pine there for a year as well.
He'd be playing if his dad hadn't meddled but he thought his boy should be starting as a true freshman. I honestly thought he would end up at TAMU.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.