News Article: UCLA QB: "Raise the SAT Requirement At Alabama and See What Kind of Team They Have"

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Re: UCLA QB: "Raise the SAT Requirement At Alabama and See What Kind of Team They Hav

Seriously, this guy need to try what I did. Be married, have children, work 2 jobs and go to college full time. The rest of the world doesn't want to hear the whining from football players about not having enough time to be serious students. I promise you that I had far less time than any football player. I got an A in every class as an engineering major.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Re: UCLA QB: "Raise the SAT Requirement At Alabama and See What Kind of Team They Hav

I get the guy's point, but I still have an issue with putting Alabama in the context of his quote. Not so much that I am going to lose sleep over what the guy said, but he should have used UCLA in that context. But, I am sure that the Bruin locker room might get uncomfortable for him if he had used their name.
Right now, we're the bell cow. Had FSU won several NC or been in the NC game consistently, he would have mentioned them instead. I get it.

BamaInCummingGA#1

Scout Team
Jun 8, 2017
Cumming,GA

I get (and agree) with some of what he's saying (at least the way I am understanding it) in that some of these players (Alabama may or may not be guilty of it, too) are having to have ways found to keep them eligible strictly to play football. It really starts in what we now know as middle school as soon as someone identifies a child as having enough athletic talent to POSSIBLY make it to the NFL/NBA, etc. These kids are being passed along whether they truly make the grades or not. This is certainly doing a great disservice to the student and is partly a product of lazy teachers and a society in which we don't want to hurt little Johnny or Suzie's feelings by working a little extra with them so they can have a better chance to "get it"'. Another part of the problem ( and maybe the greater part) are the parents at home who don't care about the education and just want the kid to be "the next big thing".

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina

It is interesting that all athletes in all sports put in a considerable amount of time. But you never hear about swimmers, volleyball players, tennis, track, etc ...complaining about the unfair system. The few who complain are always football and men's basketball. They realize that these sports are popular with fans and make money. The other athletes put in just as much time and effort.
The players who miss the most class time are golfers -- their season goes 9+ months and they rarely have any home tournaments. Some schools actually use private jets to take them to and from tournaments to cut down the time they miss. But...their practices are a lot easier than football...

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

Seriously, this guy need to try what I did. Be married, have children, work 2 jobs and go to college full time. The rest of the world doesn't want to hear the whining from football players about not having enough time to be serious students. I promise you that I had far less time than any football player. I got an A in every class as an engineering major.
I worked 2 jobs while in architecture school. I was not married, but it cost me the 2 relationships that I did have. I have zero sympathy and empathy for these student athletes. They get to go play a game they love on the weekends. My weekends consisted of 4 hours of sleep (if I was lucky) and washing cars for ungrateful jerks and making sure every car on the car lot was accounted for. My weekdays consisted again of 4 hours of sleep (again if I was lucky) working 6-8 hours and in classes and architecture studio most of the night. I am shocked I am still mostly sane.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.

Tended bar at The Ivory Tusk for 3 years...still took me 5 1/2 years to graduate...LOVED every minute of it!!!
I worked 2 jobs while in architecture school. I was not married, but it cost me the 2 relationships that I did have. I have zero sympathy and empathy for these student athletes. They get to go play a game they love on the weekends. My weekends consisted of 4 hours of sleep (if I was lucky) and washing cars for ungrateful jerks and making sure every car on the car lot was accounted for. My weekdays consisted again of 4 hours of sleep (again if I was lucky) working 6-8 hours and in classes and architecture studio most of the night. I am shocked I am still mostly sane.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina

I hear you...worked 2 jobs (1 at night in a mental health ward at a hospital), pastored a church on weekends while doing masters and ph.d. You do what you want because you love it...and the best gift you can give to your children is a solid work ethic.

On a more humorous note -- are you sure of that last sentence? I know my sanity gets questioned periodically by my family.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama

I worked in college, too - selling cds and records in Tuscaloosa. But I mostly worked around my class schedule. Rosen is noting that football is what it is - if Econ classes won't work around your schedule, then you best find a new major. Life's about choices and tradeoffs - I get it. But that does leave athletes in a bad spot for a few years if there's a major they seriously want to pursue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

I worked in college, too - selling cds and records in Tuscaloosa. But I mostly worked around my class schedule. Rosen is noting that football is what it is - if Econ classes won't work around your schedule, then you best find a new major. Life's about choices and tradeoffs - I get it. But that does leave athletes in a bad spot for a few years if there's a major they seriously want to pursue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It does. I could not continue with engineering because so many of the courses I needed were only offered during the day at UAH, only on campus. With a full time day job that I couldn't quit, and beginning to start a family, I eventually had to give up on being an engineer. At least Rosen seems to have his head screwed on straight early on in life, and can afford to take his time with getting the courses he needs to get the econ degree. Nothing says he has to do this in 4/5 years. I started too late.

And of course, years later, I find out that Alabama offers a mechanical engineering degree online. Too late!

GreatMarch

All-SEC
Dec 10, 2010
Birmingham, AL

I worked in college, too - selling cds and records in Tuscaloosa. But I mostly worked around my class schedule. Rosen is noting that football is what it is - if Econ classes won't work around your schedule, then you best find a new major. Life's about choices and tradeoffs - I get it. But that does leave athletes in a bad spot for a few years if there's a major they seriously want to pursue.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I wonder how often football players (at UCLA in this case) take on-line classes. I am seeing more athletes take their classes via on-line because of the scheduling issues and on-line classes give them more freedom with the class and football related activities. Now, I know that on-line classes can start a whole new discussion about who is taking the class....

Cruiser

All-American
Sep 24, 2015

And, Alabama's 2016 APR is 980 and Ucla is 971; was that mentioned anywhere?
For reference; Harvard is 979.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.