Mazda announces breakthrough in long-coveted engine technology

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I'm not a car person and I really don't enjoy driving that much. But I don't think I would want a self-driving car. Not having total control would make me nervous.

I rarely use cruise control for the same reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
My wife is the same. But while I can read or do whatever while in the passenger seat and not get sick, I still wish to be in control of the vehicle if I'm in it. So, I'm not sure how I'd like a self-driving car at all.
My wife has the motion illness problem pretty badly. Flying usually lays her low for a couple of days. She's always had to drive the curvier roads. Now, after having spinal fusion at the end of November, she fell and fractured L3, the vertebra right above the two fused ones, about five weeks ago. She says that she's more comfortable now driving and wearing her back brace. So, whenever we're together, I've turned into a permanent passenger...

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
My wife has the motion illness problem pretty badly. Flying usually lays her low for a couple of days. She's always had to drive the curvier roads. Now, after having spinal fusion at the end of November, she fell and fractured L3, the vertebra right above the two fused ones, about five weeks ago. She says that she's more comfortable now driving and wearing her back brace. So, whenever we're together, I've turned into a permanent passenger...
That sounds like a lot of trouble to which to go just to keep from telling you that she hates your driving!

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Mazda will bring first Compression Injection Gasoline Engine to market

Diesel cars, no longer popular in Europe, are definitely a pariah in the US. Americans never warmed to them, and VW's scheme to dupe millions of customers and pollute the planet didn't help. But diesels provide better fuel economy than gasoline engines, even if they do emit more pollution. The ideal internal combustion engine, then, would combine the efficiency of a diesel with the (relatively) lower emissions of a gasoline engine.

Automotive engineers have spent decades trying to build just such an engine. Mazda just announced it's finally done it.

The Japanese automaker says the Skyactiv-X will be the world’s first commercially available compression ignition gasoline engine. I'll explain the tech in a moment, but the big takeaway is Mazda claims the engine is 20 to 30 percent more efficient than its current gas engines, and at least as efficient, if not more so, than its diesel engines.
https://www.wired.com/story/mazda-injection-compression-skyactivx-engine?mbid=social_fb

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Re: Mazda will bring first Compression Injection Gasoline Engine to market

Sorry, just saw this is a dupe. Please delete

Last edited:

rjtide

1st Team
Dec 15, 1999
AL
I'm not a car person and I really don't enjoy driving that much. But I don't think I would want a self-driving car. Not having total control would make me nervous.

I rarely use cruise control for the same reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have a tesla model x. And it has autopilot capability. I've tried it. Even on i 20 east of BHM at 5 am with little traffic I was extremely nervous about it. I just don't feel comfortable enough with that feature.....yet

rjtide

1st Team
Dec 15, 1999
AL
I just want pics of his ride. If the styling had been a bit different I'd probably own one right now, but the wife doesn't care for the current 'curved SUV' design.
please PM your email and i'll send the pics your way. its pretty nice. its the p100d model, ludicrous mode, 0-60 in 2.9.....i've tested it. that 0-60 time is legit

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
please PM your email and i'll send the pics your way. its pretty nice. its the p100d model, ludicrous mode, 0-60 in 2.9.....i've tested it. that 0-60 time is legit
You don't happen to live in Pell City, do you? I've seen one on Mays Bend Drive a good bit lately.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.