Dre Kirkpatrick thinks Saban was outcoached in CFPCG

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
So, take a penalty and move them that much closer to the endzone which gives them even more options on play calling including running plays against a defense that had already been on the field for 100 plays. Yeah, that's good sound strategy right there.

People, just face it. We lost the game. No excuses to that.
Sorry for discussing the loss and the various possible reasons for it.

Good thing coaches don't have that mindset.

"I believe we lost because ___, so let's fix it."

"You're just making excuses. On to the next one, pal."

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I realize it was preseason...but his calm demeanor and pinpoint passing was on display again. I am just laughing at the critics who said that he would not be a good pro...

And yes, without the pick (illegal) we win...has anyone interviewed the official who swallowed his flag on that call?
I'm a fan of his and think he will work out but I'm just saying I wouldn't laugh at anyone until it prove out on the field in the regular season.

TiderMan

All-SEC
Feb 5, 2005
Moody, AL.
So, take a penalty and move them that much closer to the endzone which gives them even more options on play calling including running plays against a defense that had already been on the field for 100 plays. Yeah, that's good sound strategy right there.

Well the strategy in taking a pass interference penalty on the last pick play that Clemson ran for a TD would be that there would have only been 2-3 seconds left on the clock at most after that play was over. The ball would have been been on the 1 or 2 yard line and Clemson would then have to make a decision whether to kick a FG for the tie or run a play for the TD and the win.

in any case, we should have called a time out and looked at all options and possible plays that Clemson might run with 6 seconds to go. We had two time-outs at that time. It also gives us a chance to re-group and get a breath on defense.

Bama1985

1st Team
Jan 18, 2006
Calhoun County
I think Saban would agree with Dre. He should have made an adjustment on the goal line especially since the refs were not going to call the pick play.

Bama1985

1st Team
Jan 18, 2006
Calhoun County
I do feel that we could have made some better adjustments in the course of the game and in that sense it seems we were out coached, but we were in a position to win at the end until some Watson heroics and terrible officiating did us in.
What defense did we run on the final drive? I noticed we stayed out of any type of prevent D. However it did seem like we did not have enough defensive backs in the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Well the strategy in taking a pass interference penalty on the last pick play that Clemson ran for a TD would be that there would have only been 2-3 seconds left on the clock at most after that play was over. The ball would have been been on the 1 or 2 yard line and Clemson would then have to make a decision whether to kick a FG for the tie or run a play for the TD and the win.

in any case, we should have called a time out and looked at all options and possible plays that Clemson might run with 6 seconds to go. We had two time-outs at that time. It also gives us a chance to re-group and get a breath on defense.
I am pretty sure the ball would not have been on the 1 or 2 yard line after a Clemson penalty.

Bama1985

1st Team
Jan 18, 2006
Calhoun County
Also Saban could have taken a timeout before the final play and insisted that the Refs watch out for the pick play. No guarantee but it needed to be on their mind. The head coach has to lobby the refs.

Notice the first thing Dabo did after the game was to talk about that play should have been a penalty on Alabama. He was already trying to change the narrative because he knew that Clemson got away with the pick.

GreatMarch

All-SEC
Dec 10, 2010
Birmingham, AL
Re: Dre Kilpatrick thinks Saban was outcoached in CFPCG

And yes, without the pick (illegal) we win...has anyone interviewed the official who swallowed his flag on that call?
I know there was an interview with an official but not sure if it was an official from the game. Everyone was more interested in the Referee's biceps than missed or controversial calls from the game.

As the official who was interviewed said, many coaches have also said and teach their WRs, when you run that play the pick receiver cannot initiate contact or appear to be blocking or the flag will come out. Good coaches and good execution results in the pick WR running at the area and turn as if to run a curl all the while pinning his guy and pciking the other DB in man coverage who has the primary WR. That should allow the primary WR to get open. We ran that play in OT against LSU in 2014 and Christian Jones ran the pick to perfection. Against Texas A&M in 2012 we lost the game because AJ threw late on the pass and the pick WR did a poor job on his "pick". The thing with Clemson is that it appears the pick WR initiated contact on his pick (appeared he was blocking) and thus the outrage for no flag. It seemed as though the official gave him the benefit of the doubt on the play.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Re: Dre Kilpatrick thinks Saban was outcoached in CFPCG

On a lighter note about Dre. Every time I hear his name the first thing I think about is he and Jerrell Harris making a defensive call at the line in practice and none of the coaches or players knowing what they were calling. And, Saban tells them to stop making Gadsden High School audibles and just walked off shaking his head!
Ha! I never knew this. This is hilarious.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
People really need to stop whining about the pick play. It's embarrassing. Multiple outlets have explained why the play was legal anyway.We lost the game because the offense couldn't control the clock and convert third downs and the defense eventually wore down because Clemson ran so many plays. That's the story of the game. Did Coach Saban fail to adjust? Arguably. But the offense didn't execute. Disappointing the way things played out with Kiffin down the stretch.

TiderMan

All-SEC
Feb 5, 2005
Moody, AL.
So you were assuming the refs did their job?
Well I think the Ref's did a pretty good job during the game. The pick play is a very gray type area. Some have said it should have been a penalty on Clemson and some said it is a no call. I just think we could have counteracted that play by grabbing their WR's or at least calling a time out to discuss. Of course there are many things in the game that we could have done better to prevent it even coming down to that play.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
People really need to stop whining about the pick play. It's embarrassing. Multiple outlets have explained why the play was legal anyway.We lost the game because the offense couldn't control the clock and convert third downs and the defense eventually wore down because Clemson ran so many plays. That's the story of the game. Did Coach Saban fail to adjust? Arguably. But the offense didn't execute. Disappointing the way things played out with Kiffin down the stretch.
Idk that people are whining but you're right. Both pick plays were borderline legal. It's one of those judgement calls.

FWIW it does kind of look like Tony Brown knew what was coming on the game winning TD. He bolts over there but slips a little so he is late getting there. It's completely possible that there WAS some sort of discussion or change made to combat the pick play but that it wasn't executed well.

EDIT: I do think the rule needs to be altered slightly but it would be hard to do because it would probably force Refs to make even more judgement calls.

Last edited:

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
Idk that people are whining but you're right. Both pick plays were borderline legal. It's one of those judgement calls. FWIW it does kind of look like Tony Brown knew what was coming on the game winning TD. He bolts over there but slips a little so he is late getting there. It's completely possible that there WAS some sort of discussion or change made to combat the pick play but that it wasn't executed well.
Yeah, that's my impression too. I've read that Alabama was expecting the play and that Eddie Jackson was on the sideline shouting "Pick play! Pick play!" before the snap.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I really don't care either way because honestly, I don't know enough about being a coach at this level to be able to pass judgement.

That said, when a coach with a lesser talented roster beats a coach with a more talented roster, I tend to give the winning coach credit for outperforming the losing coach.

Read into that what you will.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I really don't care either way because honestly, I don't know enough about being a coach at this level to be able to pass judgement.

That said, when a coach with a lesser talented roster beats a coach with a more talented roster, I tend to give the winning coach credit for outperforming the losing coach.

Read into that what you will.
Why do you hate Coach Saban?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

On the two yard line with 1 second left. I don't think Dabo is that gutsy to go for the win instead of the tie. Granted I don't think we beat them in overtime, but I doubt we are taking it this hard because we would have 1 more chance on offense.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.