Dre Kirkpatrick thinks Saban was outcoached in CFPCG

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
I watch all of our losses eventually.

I've not yet rewatched the 2010 Iron Bowl (three national titles, but never got around to it).

Or that one. I may never watch that one again.

Look, I give Clemson credit. Had they LOST that close of a game not a single soul in this country would have made a Buffalo Bills comparison.

But I feel like Whitey Herzog after the Don Denkinger call and the meltdown in the 1985 World Series. He did an interview with The Sporting News and in essence he said: "Look, it'll go down as they beat us, okay? And they DID outhit us, they outpitched us, they outscored us. But we STILL should have won the damned thing." He further went on to note that the problem (at that time) was you should NOT have AL and NL umpires, you should only have MLB umpires - he pointed out that with an AL ump behind the plate, the AL pitcher had a different strike zone than the NL guy. And I watched what he was talking about and have to agree. That problem is gone, now, but that's part of the problem with the officiating.

I mean, Big 12 officials aren't exactly up to speed on how legal blocking works....
I'll back that 100%. I know the logistics are tricky but you can't have various officiating cultures thought college football that then come out to play a role in how the national championship game is determined.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
In watching the video up above, it seems that Brown was a little flat footed and he stumbled when the receiver went under the pick. I wonder if Brown wouldn't have tripped would he have had enough speed to have made that play?
They ran the play perfectly and got away with it. Brown stumbled, but he's over 1 second late to break up the play.

Now, if they would have switched, like in basketball on a pick play, it's possible Hump breaks it up or intercepts it. But if they switch, Watson likely scrambles and who know what happens.

JaxTider

Suspended
Jan 10, 2017
As the game began you could sense all college football fans, except for us Bama Fans, was pulling for Alabama to lose the NC'S to Clemson..I have no problems stating that Dabo was the better HC that night, but, I think we were more so out "willed" by the Bama Haters that night..

As good as we played that night, there was no way n hell we was going to win the NC that night, not with all that mojo will power working against us from all those college football fans wanting Bama to lose..You could slice a piece of pie from all the Bama Hate in the air that night..That game just felt different from the 1st kick on & was just a weird feeling that day actually or I thought so anyways..
This is a particularly strange, almost metaphysical, almost paranormal take on the game.

You might be on to something. It might have been bad mojo and people throwing chicken bones. But I think I'll stick with 90 Clemson offensive snaps.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
I'm not blaming Coach for hiring Kiffin, just wondering why Kiffin was retained for year 3, and then for the first playoff game. I think we were all shocked Kiffin got a 3rd year, and I don't anticipate anyone missing him.
One single play in that game goes different and Saban's last-second move of Sark to OC is considered a genius move - ESPECIALLY the Ardarius Stewart trick pass play.

We lose and folks want to peel the layer of the onion away going back three years.

We were not the first team to replace the OC prior to a national championship game; in 1990, Gerry DiNardo left Colorado for the Vandy job and Gary Barnett's very first game as OC was the 1991 do or die Orange Bowl against Notre Dame. Granted, there is one major difference: Barnett took over on December 3, so he had nearly a month to set his own game plan whereas Sark had slightly over a week. But given that Sark had already spent three months as a consultant, it's not like he was clueless about the abilities of our offensive players.

Furthermore, 'blaming Saban' ASSUMES there's blame to be placed, and I'm not sure that approach is fruitful. It's like everyday life - folks usually do the best they can with the hand they're dealt. Yes, there are exceptions.

Now, is Saban ultimately RESPONSIBLE for who is OC? Yes, he is. But anyone who wishes to blame Saban for this better never again blame Nussmeier for the poor play calling at the end of the 2012 ATM game, either - since Saban is the one who hired him (and that's what's being said here with Kiffin).

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Like I said earlier, it was a great college football game that I probably will never rewatch and I've put it all behind me. Not saying people shouldn't chew on it but I found the meat a bit tough and I'm waiting the chef to serve up a hopefully better one.

I guess I don't get talking about it anymore. I parsed over every thing that happened the following day or two. At this point, it just feels like drumming up a bad memory where a great team had a less than great night against a great opponent.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I put this game behind me. It was a great college football game that I probably will never rewatch and I've put it all behind me. Not saying people shouldn't chew on it but I found the meat a bit tough and I'm waiting the chef to serve up a hopefully better one.
why we continue to dwell on it amazes me....

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Hey, when a former player makes a (controversial) statement about the game, it will be a topic.

Anyone not wishing to discuss it or think about it can skip the thread. It's not rocket surgery.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Hey, when a former player makes a (controversial) statement about the game, it will be a topic.

Anyone not wishing to discuss it or think about it can skip the thread. It's not rocket surgery.
[blue font] This is just a bunch of excuse-making anyway! [blue font]

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

I definitely agree, I'm surprised by the interest because I haven't gotten much out of it over the last 8 months. Ready to see this team burn away all the bad vibes.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I'm not blaming Coach for hiring Kiffin, just wondering why Kiffin was retained for year 3, and then for the first playoff game. I think we were all shocked Kiffin got a 3rd year, and I don't anticipate anyone missing him.
That's a mystery given what's already been revealed here.

Might have been the fact Saban knew he had a QB dilemma and didn't want any more distraction than necessary or a late hire who would take some adjustment......so he kept LK.

I'm of the view the hiring of Sark DURING the USC game....was with the view to later in the year if it did become necessary to can Kiffin as it eventually did.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
I don't recall any pick play against Clemson. Last game we played against Clemson, we won. ;)

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.