Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I doubt that settlement will repair their damage. They had to close two of their three plants. All the bad PR caused McDonalds, Taco Bell and Burger King to stop using the stuff. Nobody's going to eat it, when they find out what it's made of and the fact that it's treated with ammonia...

GreatMarch

All-SEC
Dec 10, 2010
Birmingham, AL
Disney is getting hit hard in the PR dept with this settlement and the new lawsuit concerning the sale of children information taken from various Disney apps.

Wilson Monroe

1st Team
Jul 19, 2016
I started hearing about this process years ago. Not long after I started hearing about it I noticed that when I pattied out hamburgers that came from the national chain grocery stores there was a large amount of fatty, sticky residue left on my hands that wasn't there when I used beef that was ground on location. I eventually figured out where I could and could not buy ground beef from.

The chemical engineers and industrial hygienists that I worked with at the time were appalled that this process was being applied to food. They referred to fast food hamburgers as "soylent beef" as a joke when they were grabbing lunch.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Disney is getting hit hard in the PR dept with this settlement and the new lawsuit concerning the sale of children information taken from various Disney apps.
I think they settled for fear of drawing a rabidly anti-media jury. I watched the ABC program and it seemed to me that they went out of their way to tip-toe around the defamation issue...

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
They lost the propaganda war. Once LFTB, finely textured beef, and boneless lean beef trimmings or BLBT) became labeled pink slime that was all she wrote.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
We have a local market, Star, for those around here, which sells Wagyu beef from a smallish local breeder. Now, it's really not full-blood, but it does have a lot of the characteristics associated with it. You know what you're getting and you know it comes from one cow, not thousands. Also, it's delicious. Now, there are only two of us and we only eat burgers several times a year, so the sky-high price isn't a real deterrent. I don't really care for their steaks. They are super-marbled. I know that makes them very juicy and tasty, but it's a little too much fat for me. Of course the ground beef is pretty fat also...

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
I don't really care for their steaks. They are super-marbled. I know that makes them very juicy and tasty, but it's a little too much fat for me. Of course the ground beef is pretty fat also...
Yeah, fatty meats don't sit well in my stomach. (I know....blasphemy, from a Texun.)

I have noticed one thing: having switched to grass-fed beef, I have a lot less gout issues. No idea why.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Yeah, fatty meats don't sit well in my stomach. (I know....blasphemy, from a Texun.)

I have noticed one thing: having switched to grass-fed beef, I have a lot less gout issues. No idea why.
We actually eat mostly grass-finished also. The Wagyu beef I mentioned is all grass-finished locally. I think the marbling is the breed, rather than from being grain-finished. Even the strips and filets, normally lean cuts have multiple veins of fat running length-ways of the cut. It's hard to describe. I'll look for a pic. After the discourse here, I called my wife and had her pick up a couple of their burgers, which were delicious, even if the bottom did drop out while I was grilling them...

danb

All-SEC
Dec 4, 2011
Hazel Green, AL
We have a local market, Star, for those around here, which sells Wagyu beef from a smallish local breeder. Now, it's really not full-blood, but it does have a lot of the characteristics associated with it. You know what you're getting and you know it comes from one cow, not thousands. Also, it's delicious. Now, there are only two of us and we only eat burgers several times a year, so the sky-high price isn't a real deterrent. I don't really care for their steaks. They are super-marbled. I know that makes them very juicy and tasty, but it's a little too much fat for me. Of course the ground beef is pretty fat also...
I was in Star Market a couple weeks ago (the one I assume you shop at in Five Points) and was eyeballing their Wagyu New York strips. My mouth was watering, and then my heart skipped a beat when I saw the $69.99/lb price! Although that is way out of my budget, I still would like to try one some time. IIRC, the Wagyu ground beef was around $12.99/lb (maybe a little higher?). I could see buying that if you're only feeding 1-2, and it was noticeably better.

I was in my late teens before we ever cooked store bought beef at home. We raised cattle when I was young, so there was always an over abundance of beef in the freezer. I can remember thinking (not saying!) on more than one occasion, "dang mom! steaks for supper again?"...I'd love to go back to those days now! There was/is definitely a flavor difference from commercially raised store bought beef.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I was in Star Market a couple weeks ago (the one I assume you shop at in Five Points) and was eyeballing their Wagyu New York strips. My mouth was watering, and then my heart skipped a beat when I saw the $69.99/lb price! Although that is way out of my budget, I still would like to try one some time. IIRC, the Wagyu ground beef was around $12.99/lb (maybe a little higher?). I could see buying that if you're only feeding 1-2, and it was noticeably better.

I was in my late teens before we ever cooked store bought beef at home. We raised cattle when I was young, so there was always an over abundance of beef in the freezer. I can remember thinking (not saying!) on more than one occasion, "dang mom! steaks for supper again?"...I'd love to go back to those days now! There was/is definitely a flavor difference from commercially raised store bought beef.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's the place. We had the burgers a couple of days ago. I haven't tried the steaks yet, but I tend to agree with '86 - only the filets really interest me. At least the marbling looks like it's somewhat under control. The strips are more fat than meat. There only the two of us, so that controls costs to some degree...

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.