Link: Confuse and Clobber How Teams are Using Bigger Sets With FBs and TEs in Spread Era

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Link

Ian discusses Matt Canada's use of this at Pitt and now possibly at LSU at the end of the article.

One of the more intriguing revelations to come out of my survey into the Appalachian State upset victory over Michigan back in 2007 was this quote by then QB coach and now HC Scott Satterfield:

"The game has evolved since then," Satterfield says. "Most everyone is doing some version of the spread now. The defenses have tried to catch up, and to a certain extent, they have, by putting more speed on the field. We've kinda gone back to running the football and a little bit more slowing the game down and limiting the offensive possessions for the other team, and that's helped us since we moved up to the FBS level. But the game is always evolving."

In 2016 App State nearly pulled off another big upset in their season opener against the Tennessee Volunteers. However their approach on offense bore as many similarities to the Michigan team they beat in 2007 as it did to their own winning style from those days:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I think there will be some growing pains at L6U, but I still think hiring Canada is good for them and bad for most of the SECW.

Interesting read.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
This was predicted on here shortly after the spread became the "new toy" of college football. That as more defenses got smaller (in order to get faster) to defend the spread. There would be a vulnerability that would naturally happen when going against at team that still ran power football. TA-DA!!!!! It's here and Alabama is primed with big backs to do just that.

In just a few weeks it's going to be the beginning of five months of non-consensual enemas for those lined up across from the Crimson Tide of AAAAAAAAlabama!!!!!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.