Alabama Players in the NFL

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Julio has been hanging out with Terrell Owens and it seems to have rubbed off on him. I never thought in a million years Julio would turn into that kind of player but here we are. That is all I will say about that

Power Eye

All-SEC
Aug 3, 2005
Julio has been hanging out with Terrell Owens and it seems to have rubbed off on him. I never thought in a million years Julio would turn into that kind of player but here we are. That is all I will say about that
As a Falcons fan, I've been following his holdout from OTAs and now minicamp. When Julio signed his deal a few years ago, he was the 2nd highest paid WR behind Calvin Johnson. Now he is like the 8th highest paid receiver and all of his guaranteed money has been paid out. He has 3 years left on his deal, which would put him at 31 years old when he would be re-negotiating since you typically redo the deals with a year left. The problem for Julio at that point will be that neither the Falcons, nor any other team are going to give him nearly the guaranteed money someone a couple of years younger would get, especially with his injury history.

The Falcons just signed Matt Ryan to a huge contract, so I understand why the best player on the team wants his piece of the pie as well. I don't think Julio is looking to be the highest paid WR in the league, I just think he wants some more years of guaranteed money since he knows he won't get it 2-3 years from now. On the other hand, I also understand the frustration from fans who look at someone holding-out with 3 years left on a contract they agreed to
A

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Yah, Julio attempting to renegotiate his contract definitely makes him the exact same type of player as Terrel Owens. (Blue font)

I get what you mean, but let's get some perspective. This is the first time in his entire football career Julio has done anything that could be considered in the same universe as selfish and he immediately gets compared to TO?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If Julio were injured tomorrow his career would be over, with no more guaranteed money. He doesn't necessarily want more money - what he wants is a new contract with some guaranteed money. The way that Julio plays, any play could be his last. He really goes all out on every play. The NFL structures these contracts so they can cut players with no financial impact once the player gets a little older. Julio is trying to stay in front of that.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
He is asking at the wrong time. He did not have a great year last year. He was 2nd in dropped passes, He barely touched the endzone at all. There many times he was not even on the field at crucial moments in big games. He has 3 years left and this has never happened in the NFL. No one with 3 years has ever asked for a new contract. It is his and his agent’s fault for asking for the long term contract. He should have signed a shorter one. That is on him and his agent. Yes now he is the 12th highest paid receiver, but again sign a shorter contract next time with more money upfront. This cannot sit well with his teammates that preach “brotherhood”. I meant the T.O. thing as tongue in cheek but he cannot be a good influence on anyone (Roddy White too for that matter). This is a diva move when he has never acted this way ever. So what has happened that changed things? Is he the best player on the team? Absolutely. Can the Falcons win a Super Bowl without him? Nope. Contracts are what they are. If he is not careful the Falcons will do something incredibly stupid and trade him.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
He is asking at the wrong time. He did not have a great year last year. He was 2nd in dropped passes, He barely touched the endzone at all. There many times he was not even on the field at crucial moments in big games. He has 3 years left and this has never happened in the NFL. No one with 3 years has ever asked for a new contract. It is his and his agent’s fault for asking for the long term contract. He should have signed a shorter one. That is on him and his agent. Yes now he is the 12th highest paid receiver, but again sign a shorter contract next time with more money upfront. This cannot sit well with his teammates that preach “brotherhood”. I meant the T.O. thing as tongue in cheek but he cannot be a good influence on anyone (Roddy White too for that matter). This is a diva move when he has never acted this way ever. So what has happened that changed things? Is he the best player on the team? Absolutely. Can the Falcons win a Super Bowl without him? Nope. Contracts are what they are. If he is not careful the Falcons will do something incredibly stupid and trade him.
If he gets traded, he gets paid.....

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Sark... Remember him? The OC for Falcons?

I think he earned it. No issue with this. He just want to make sure he's secure for life. Nothing wrong with that. He is one of the best player in NFL.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Julio had 88 catches (3rd highest in his career and more than 2016) and 1444 yards (3rd highest in his career and more than 2016). Julio is a top 2 WR (Antonio Brown) in the league. Not saying he should be doing what he is doing but it is not a 'bad time' to be asking.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Cleveland .
Well, there's that. :eek2:

The reality is that the Falcon's can't do much this late in the process to restructure his contract. At this point in the "season" too much of the salary cap is already spoken for. Hopefully Julio's agent is making him aware of the realities of the situation. If Jones wants a big payday, he is going to have to wait until next season.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

The reality is that the Falcon's can't do much this late in the process to restructure his contract. At this point in the "season" too much of the salary cap is already spoken for. Hopefully Julio's agent is making him aware of the realities of the situation. If Jones wants a big payday, he is going to have to wait until next season.
Plus he has 3 years left on the current contract. No one has ever asked for a new contract with that much time left. The Falcons really brought this on themselves with Matt Ryan new contract. Does anyone actually think Matt Ryan is the best QB in the NFL? Well he is getting paid now like he is. He is currently the highest paid QB in the league. He is not even the best player on his own team.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Plus he has 3 years left on the current contract. No one has ever asked for a new contract with that much time left.
You seem hung up on this. Do you really care what happens between billionaires and millionaires?

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA

Yeah, Matt Ryan and Devonta Freeman ate a lot of it up...............I think the Falcons gambled on spending so much on those two, and didn't contemplate what it would cost to deal with the rest of the team.............they have quite a few coming off rookie seasons, and they will be looking for a big payday as well

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I just want Atlanta to finally win something and it is not going to happen with their best player sitting out and not practicing.
Julio will play, and you have Ridley. The Falcons are going to score points. They need to work on the other side of the ball.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.