Rioting at Charlottsville Va (UVA) by white nationalists and counter protesters

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
To be clear, Trump has spent more time criticizing Merck's CEO than an act of domestic terrorism perpetrated by white supremacists that resulted in American deaths.
This kind of behavior is what makes the National Review commentary ring so hollow: "It is not the responsibility of the president of the United States to make specific statements every time..."

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
This kind of behavior is what makes the National Review commentary ring so hollow: "It is not the responsibility of the president of the United States to make specific statements every time..."
If only Trump could denounce Nazis with the same intensity that he directed at Nordstrom when they stopped carrying his daughter's merchandise.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I would honestly agree with that statement. It would be a breathless and unceasing stream of comments. Given everything that SHOULD be dominating the President's attention I do believe it should only be large scale issues that he or she comments on. Let the governors or mayors handle smaller incidents. I believed the same even when Conservatives were haranguing Obama for not publicly mentioning EVERY time a police officer was shot or attacked. There just simply isn't time.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I would honestly agree with that statement. It would be a breathless and unceasing stream of comments. Given everything that SHOULD be dominating the President's attention I do believe it should only be large scale issues that he or she comments on. Let the governors or mayors handle smaller incidents. I believed the same even when Conservatives were haranguing Obama for not publicly mentioning EVERY time a police officer was shot or attacked. There just simply isn't time.
this is a president that finds the time to tweet about d list celebs, he has time to call out hate

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
It isn't that what they said is false. I would rather see much more restraint from presidents in general regarding chiming in on every single topic that comes up, and to make thoughtful measured statements when warranted. But Trump in his seemingly infinite childish narcissism, seems incapable of that.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
this is a president that finds the time to tweet about d list celebs, he has time to call out hate
I'm not speaking about this event specifically, just the notion that A President, ANY President, has to release a statement or comment on EVERY incident that occurs across the country. I disagree that French's statement clarifying that point causes his article to ring hollow. He's been very consistent and I agree that the President could have been more direct with his language.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
It isn't that what they said is false. I would rather see much more restraint from presidents in general regarding chiming in on every single topic that comes up, and to make thoughtful measured statements when warranted. But Trump in his seemingly infinite childish narcissism, seems incapable of that.
I agree. But I would frame French's comments in that same idealistic fashion as you have - he made that statement in view of how he WISHED the office functioned (and has functioned in the past) and not how it currently functions. To wit, I don't think he was making excuses for the President but just wistfully hoping for the office to return to the way it should be. We could possibly be splitting hairs here as I think we generally agree but maybe just read French's comment differently.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
It's called "impulsiveness," and it was one of my big fears about him coming in, along with an abnormally short attention span.

When I look at myself in the first grade and I look at myself now, I’m basically the same. The temperament is not that different.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
I agree. But I would frame French's comments in that same idealistic fashion as you have - he made that statement in view of how he WISHED the office functioned (and has functioned in the past) and not how it currently functions. To wit, I don't think he was making excuses for the President but just wistfully hoping for the office to return to the way it should be. We could possibly be splitting hairs here as I think we generally agree but maybe just read French's comment differently.
You're right. I didn't read the article or even the entire quote. I was focusing mainly on the first sentence, which served to set up the main point, which was followed by "But...."

He then proceeds to echo the sentiment we have been repeating:

if there ever was a time in recent American political history for an American president to make a clear, unequivocal statement against the alt-right, it was today. Instead, we got a vague condemnation of “hatred, bigotry and violence on many sides.” This is unacceptable, especially given that Trump can be quite specific when he’s truly angry. Just ask the Khan family, Judge Curiel, James Comey, or any other person he considers a personal enemy.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Good. Mamma always said sunlight is the best disinfectant.

After months of criticism that GoDaddy was providing a platform for hate speech, the Web hosting company announced late Sunday that it will no longer house the Daily Stormer, a neo-Nazi website that promotes white supremacist and white nationalist ideas.

GoDaddy said in a tweet that Daily Stormer had been told it had 24 hours to move its website domain to another provider because it had “violated” the Web host’s “terms of service.”

GoDaddy’s announcement was in response to an appeal from a Twitter user who called attention late Sunday to an online post by Daily Stormer founder Andrew Anglin. The post disparaged Heather Heyer, the 32-year-old woman killed Saturday in Charlottesville, police say, after a man plowed into a crowd with his vehicle.
LINK

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I think "issuing a statement" is the trendy cultural thing right now. Especially among public figures of any type (celebrities, public officials, sports figures etc.) And if someone doesn't issue a "statement" declaring their thoughts on said topic then they are automatically put into a category and labeled by the court of public opinion as a villain and demonized. Then to add to the madness if in their public statement there isn't a minimal level of outrage (predetermined by some mysterious/faceless group) then they are deemed a [insert villainous label that is appropriate with said topic]. It's a cool social exercise that has become quite popular.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Things President Trump Has Condemned Other Than White Nationalists

— Opinion polls that are unflattering to him;

— Nordstrom;

— The “fake news” media;

— Specifically “CNN, ABC, NBC, CBS, NYTIMES & WAPO”;

— Meet the Press host Chuck Todd;

— The New York Times;

— The “fake” reporting on his campaign’s potential collusion with Russia;

— The “witch hunt” that is the investigation into his campaign’s potential collusion with Russia;

— #FraudNewsCNN;

— Leakers;

— Anonymous sources;

— Senator Lisa Murkowski;

— Senator John McCain;

— Senator Lindsey Graham;

— All Senate Republicans;

— Congress;

— Former Attorney General Loretta Lynch;

— His own attorney general, Jeff Sessions;

— Acting FBI director Andrew McCabe;

— Former FBI director James Comey;

— The FBI;

— “Fake tears” Cryin’ Chuck Schumer;

— Nancy Pelosi;

— Congressmember Adam Schiff;

— Senator Richard Blumenthal;

— Barack Obama;

— Hillary Clinton;

— John Podesta;

— Democratic congressional candidate Jon Ossoff;

— Democrats in Congress;

— Obamacare;

— North Korea’s unsuccessful missiles;

— North Korea;

— Qatar;

— China;

— Mexico;

— Canada;

— London mayor Sadiq Khan;

— “Crazy Joe Scarborough and dumb as a rock Mika”;

— Morning Joe;

— Arnold Schwarzenegger;

— Snoop Dogg;

— Mark Cuban;

— “Celebs”;

— Kathy Griffin;

— The Ninth Circuit Court;

— Transgender military service members;

— Chelsea Manning;

— M3-13 gang members;

— The idea that his first 100 days in office were of symbolic significance.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
posted without further comment

Donald J. Trump‏Verified account
@realDonaldTrump
Follow
More
Intelligence agencies should never have allowed this fake news to "leak" into the public. One last shot at me.Are we living in Nazi Germany?
4:48 AM - 11 Jan 2017

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Anonymous has actually taken over the site.
Anonymous is actively denying this on twitter. And given that the only apparent change to the site is a blog post and the rest of their content remains available, I tend to believe their denial right now. It wouldn't surprise me if they're having a hard time finding someone to host their site before it's taken offline this evening.

Edit: sniped by 92

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.