Rioting at Charlottsville Va (UVA) by white nationalists and counter protesters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Is your issue with the day they chose? or that they are celebrating the freeing of slaves?
Neither really. Just that celebrating the freeing of the slaves would be a different date. Texas commemorates the arrival of the news of the EP with a holiday called "Juneteenth." Of course, Texas is a big state and different Texas communities got that news on different dates, but the observation is on Juneteenth.
I do object to Thomas Jefferson's entire life and service being boiled down to one thing: slaveholding.
If someone were to make the argument that MLK's entire life and service means nothing but plagiarism and womanizing, I would say that such an argument is made in really bad faith. There was so much more to the man, and while we can be disappointed in his personal failures, we do well to remember his achievements and virtues.
Likewise, distilling Jefferson to the sole fact that he was a slaveholder is a really bad faith argument. There was so much more to the man, things worthy of memory. One would think his home town would lead in the remembering.
Because if you want to hold holiday's accountable for being accurate dates then take on Christmas.
This does not bother me much. It is simply Christ Mass, when the church observed Jesus' birth, taking over the earlier pagan Roman holiday of Saturnalia and the winter solstice.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Neither really. Just that celebrating the freeing of the slaves would be a different date. Texas commemorates the arrival of the news of the EP with a holiday called "Juneteenth." Of course, Texas is a big state and different Texas communities got that news on different dates, but the observation is on Juneteenth.
I do object to Thomas Jefferson's entire life and service being boiled down to one thing: slaveholding.
If someone were to make the argument that MLK's entire life and service means nothing but plagiarism and womanizing, I would say that such an argument is made in really bad faith. There was so much more to the man, and while we can be disappointed in his personal failures, we do well to remember his achievements and virtues.
Likewise, distilling Jefferson to the sole fact that he was a slaveholder is a really bad faith argument. There was so much more to the man, things worthy of memory. One would think his home town would lead in the remembering.

This does not bother me much. It is simply Christ Mass, when the church observed Jesus' birth, taking over the earlier pagan Roman holiday of Saturnalia and the winter solstice.
i don't think charlottesville is sending jefferson down the memory hole

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Sheridan's Personal Memoirs, 2:121.
I halted for one day at Columbia to let my trains catch up, for it was still raining and the mud greatly delayed the teams, fatiguing and wearying the mules so much that I believe we should have been forced to abandon most of the wagons except for the invaluable help given by some two thousand negroes who had attached themselves to the column: they literally lifted the wagons out of the mud.
Leaving Columbia Virginia on the 12th, and making a forced march to White House on the Pamunkey, Virginia to resupply (100 miles in 6 days on muddy roads), it is unknown how many of the escaped slaves made it to White House with Sheridan. He never mentions them again after the wagon-pulling.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Every year there is a big stink in Alabama over observing various days for Confederate leaders and soldiers. I propose they all be combined into one day called “Civil War Day”.

You could spend the day observing whatever aspect of the war you want. If you long for the days of slavery and want to repeal the 13th amendment, knock yourself out. If you want to remember your ancestors who wore grey, go ahead. If you have ancestors who wore blue and you wish to honor them, that’s fine. If you want to celebrate the end of slavery, you do you. Or if you just want to go about your life and ignore it, no problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
i don't think charlottesville is sending jefferson down the memory hole

Fair enough, but once you accept the principle that the sole meaning of a person's life should be distilled down to whether they owned slaves or not, then you've already set up the next debate over the next monument. Go to Montpelier (James Madison's home) and just about the only significant aspect of his life you'll hear about was that he owned slaves. Drafting the Constitution is almost an afterthought.
Charlottesville is already moved on the whether to remove the monument to Lewis, Clark and Sacagawea.
Lewis Clark and Sacagawea.jpg
Sacagawea was not even from Albemarle County and was included in the Lewis and Clark monument as a gesture of inclusion, since she played such an important role in the success of the Corps of Discovery's mission. I do not know for sure, but it wouldn't surprise me to read that both Lewis and Clark owned slaves, but that is not why we remember them.
As a though experiment, ask yourself if you know the name of any Albemarle County slaveholder not named Jefferson, Lewis, or Clark. I doubt you can, so why do we remember Jefferson, Lewis and Clark and not the names of others? Because the others did not draft the Declaration of Independence, secure the Louisiana Purchase or discover the land route from St. Louis to the Pacific. That might be a clue as to why we remember Jefferson and Lewis and Clark.
I have no problem with Charlottesville commemorating the arrival of federal authority in 1865, I would suggest that the date of the permanent arrival of federal authorities (late April/early May?) would be more fitting and I wish they did not have to slander Jefferson to do it.

Last edited:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Fair enough, but once you accept the principle that the sole meaning of a person's life should be distilled down to whether they owned slaves or not, then you've already set up the next debate over the next monument. Go to Montpelier (James Madison's home) and just about the only significant aspect of his life you'll hear about was that he owned slaves. Drafting the Constitution is almost an afterthought.
Charlottesville is already moved on the whether to remove the monument to Lewis, Clark and Sacagawea.
View attachment 3834
Sacagawea was not even from Albemarle County and was included in the Lewis and Clark monument as a gesture of inclusion, since she played such an important role in the success of the Corps of Discovery's mission. I do not know for sure, but it wouldn't surprise me to read that both Lewis and Clark owned slaves, but that is not why we remember them.
As a though experiment, ask yourself if you know the name of any Albemarle County slaveholder not named Jefferson, Lewis, or Clark. I doubt you can, so why do we remember Jefferson, Lewis and Clark and not the names of others? Because the others did not draft the Declaration of Independence, secure the Louisiana Purchase or discover the land route from St. Louis to the Pacific. That might be a clue as to why we remember Jefferson and Lewis and Clark.
I have no problem with Charlottesville commemorating the arrival of federal authority in 1865, I would suggest that the date of the permanent arrival of federal authorities (late April/early May?) would be more fitting and I wish they did not have to slander Jefferson to do it.
i don't really consider what they did to jefferson slander but i can see how many would. i've long known of his "bad" side and it hasn't really changed much of what i think/appreciate about his and the other early founders and other countryfolk's contributions to our nation.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
View attachment 3834
I was just thinking about my other GGF, the one too old to fight but whom would have wearing blue, if he could. He was a member of the Union League and hated the confederates to the point of calling them "vipers" in his diary. The confederate State of Alabama confiscated all of his property, including his eight slaves...

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
A while back, I visited the Jefferson Davis birthplace and museum in Kentucky. It mentioned his mansion and plantation, but did not say he owned slaves.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I was over in Charlottesville last week and they have started working on the memorial to enslaved laborers. Searching archives and census records, they have identified the names of about 1,000 enslaved people who worked on the grounds. Historians estimate that another 5,000 enslaved laborers whose names were not recorded also worked on the Grounds. Here is what the monument will look like when finished.
uva_03_final_header.jpg
I am all in favor of remembering their labors, although the real monument to their labors are the Grounds themselves, which are beautiful.
pavilions-of-academical-villages-on-the-lawn-at-university-of-virginia-BFN7MX.jpg

Last edited:

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
There's such a depth of misunderstanding on both sides. This guy had no idea he was being offensive...

Flag Problem
If someone doesn’t know that the Confederate flag is offensive to many then I’d really have to question their intelligence.

I hate riding in coworker’s truck because his rear window is covered with a Confederate flag sticker, knowing what many people who see that truck immediately think of the people inside. This coworker is a very hateful racist and has no respect for people of color.

What misunderstandings are there for people who see that flag as a symbol of hate? Did they misunderstand its use by the KKK? Did they misunderstand its use by hateful people through out the the civil rights movement? Do they continue to misunderstand its use by people like my coworker. I don’t care what it started out as, its use in more recent history has been full of hate. It is time that the other side learns to accept this reality.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
If someone doesn’t know that the Confederate flag is offensive to many then I’d really have to question their intelligence.

I hate riding in coworker’s truck because his rear window is covered with a Confederate flag sticker, knowing what many people who see that truck immediately think of the people inside. This coworker is a very hateful racist and has no respect for people of color.

What misunderstandings are there for people who see that flag as a symbol of hate? Did they misunderstand its use by the KKK? Did they misunderstand its use by hateful people through out the the civil rights movement? Do they continue to misunderstand its use by people like my coworker. I don’t care what it started out as, its use in more recent history has been full of hate. It is time that the other side learns to accept this reality.
A black friend commented that she had nothing against the banner itself but she did against the hate and vitriol of the people who wave it in people's faces. She knows my family has no connection to it...

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Man gets life plus 419 years in deadly Charlottesville car attack

Charlottesville, Virginia — An avowed white supremacist was sentenced to life plus 419 years on federal hate crime charges Monday for deliberately driving his car into anti-racism protesters during a white nationalist rally in Virginia. James Alex Fields Jr., 22, received the sentence for killing one person and injuring dozens during the "Unite the Right" rally in Charlottesville on Aug. 12, 2017. Fields was sentenced last month to life in prison on 29 federal hate crime charges.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Works for me. I oppose the death penalty, so knowing he will never be a free man is a good thing.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I was thinking. The driver (I won't name him) had a history of mental illness, was hospitalized several times in his youth. Went to bed with a picture of Adolf Hitler on his nightstand. What should the family have done to get this guy help/prevent him from going to Cville? I've read he had a contentious relationship with his mother, but I would be crushed if one of my children did something like this.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I was thinking. The driver (I won't name him) had a history of mental illness, was hospitalized several times in his youth. Went to bed with a picture of Adolf Hitler on his nightstand. What should the family have done to get this guy help/prevent him from going to Cville? I've read he had a contentious relationship with his mother, but I would be crushed if one of my children did something like this.
I wonder what his home life was like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.