Rioting at Charlottsville Va (UVA) by white nationalists and counter protesters - Page 6
Page 6 of 86 FirstFirst 123456789101112131656 ... LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

Re: Rioting at Charlottsville Va (UVA) by white nationalists and counter protesters

What a great way to spend a late summer afternoon. High temperatures, breath sucking humidity; and then go some place to get the crap beat out of you and arrested. I guess some people enjoy confrontation and violence.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

BamaNation Hall of Fame CajunCrimson's Avatar

Re: Rioting at Charlottsville Va (UVA) by white nationalists and counter protesters

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    What a great way to spend a late summer afternoon. High temperatures, breath sucking humidity; and then go some place to get the crap beat out of you and arrested. I guess some people enjoy confrontation and violence.
    This stuff happens.....during baseball season.

Last edited by CajunCrimson; August 13th, 2017 at 08:53 AM.
    Doc Holliday: [to Johnny Ringo, after shooting him in a duel] You're no daisy! You're no daisy at all. Poor soul, you were just too high strung

BamaNation Hall of Fame Displaced Bama Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CajunCrimson View Post
    This stuff happens.....during baseball season.

Especially with the Astros epic collapse.

BamaNation Hall of Fame seebell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tidewater View Post
    If you go to a contentious event with a shield or a helmet you are expecting trouble and ought not to go.
    If you come with a club, you are intending to inflict harm and ought to be detained on sight by the police and held, at a minimum, until the event is over.
    Amen TW. People at that demonstration wore helmets, kneepads and padded gloves. Shields of all kinds. Both sides. I'm surprised the authorities didn't block automobiles from the route.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Displaced Bama Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson1967 View Post
    The only good thing I can about this is that they didn't decide to hold their rally in Tuscaloosa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Or Alabama in general.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Tidewater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    both sides, remember.
    This guy probably attended with bad intentions as well (who brings a can of spray paint to a protest? Unless maybe he thought a spontaneous street art exhibit was going to break out).

BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Displaced Bama Fan View Post
    Or Alabama in general.
    I agree. I do think these idiots would have targeted Tuscaloosa if they had wanted to do it in this state. Then the media would have dug up the Wallace standing in the door videos. This incident won't make people think less of Virginia (the state or the university). But if it had been here or at Ole Miss, you know what the national reaction would have been.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaNation Hall of Fame Tidewater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by seebell View Post
    Amen TW. People at that demonstration wore helmets, kneepads and padded gloves. Shields of all kinds. Both sides. I'm surprised the authorities didn't block automobiles from the route.
    I think the whole mess moved over time. I've been to Emancipation Square and the downtown walking mall (where the vehicular homicide happened). The homicide was a few blocks from Square.
    The whole thing is a mess.
    I would include flagpoles as weapons, since I saw more than a few neo-nazi knuckleheads using them as weapons.
    Detain those bearing weapons and release once the event is over. And I mean really over, as in Sunday morning, and then I would have had police drive them to their parked cars (or the edge of town) and tell them to head away from town and not turn around. That would have prevented the worst of this.

BamaNation Hall of Fame bamachile's Avatar

I think the whole mess moved over time. I've been to Emancipation Square and the downtown walking mall (where the vehicular homicide happened). The homicide was a few blocks from Square.
    The whole thing is a mess.
    I would include flagpoles as weapons, since I saw more than a few neo-nazi knuckleheads using them as weapons.
    Detain those bearing weapons and release once the event is over. And I mean really over, as in Sunday morning, and then I would have had police drive them to their parked cars (or the edge of town) and tell them to head away from town and not turn around. That would have prevented the worst of this.
    It would have been interesting to hear the Neo-nazis complain of police acting like Bull Connor
    “Louisiana is a fresh-air mental asylum.”
    ― James Lee Burke, Pegasus Descending

BamaNation Hall of Fame CajunCrimson's Avatar

This guy probably attended with bad intentions as well (who brings a can of spray paint to a protest? Unless maybe he thought a spontaneous street art exhibit was going to break out).
    The spray paint was for his art......he's just a talented youth with no canvas for his masterpiece. He was painting "Peace and Love" on the steps -- and this floating torso with black boots (swinging a colorful stick) interrupted him.
    Doc Holliday: [to Johnny Ringo, after shooting him in a duel] You're no daisy! You're no daisy at all. Poor soul, you were just too high strung

Wonder where he got that paint...been thinking about putting some flames on the side of my work truck.....

Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by bamachile View Post
    As ugly as they are, the excesses of the radical fringes of the left and right wings serve well to warn us against polarization and extremism. What I wonder about is how many hear the warning.
    Most every position is labeled extreme/radical today.

Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by chanson78 View Post
    Am I to understand your post in a way that means you believe people who are protesting pro-nazi white nationalists are themselves on the radical fringe of the left and extremists in their own right?
    Throw in a little violence, and they very well could be.