Rioting at Charlottsville Va (UVA) by white nationalists and counter protesters

Status
Not open for further replies.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
i remember a few of the frat guys around tuscaloosa thought it would be cute to have david duke bumper stickers and signs when he ran for and got his congress seat back in 91 or so.

he stayed pretty well out of the light and in the fringes except for popping up from time to time after saying something stupid until fairly recently.
He ran for governor of Louisiana one year.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I had never heard of David Duke except for in an episode of Parks and Rec where Donna gave him a contribution because he vowed to lower taxes, lol. Now the guy seems to pop up a lot more often.
Consider yourself lucky.

He was a Grand Wizard of the Klan. In 1989, he got elected to some kind of STATE level seat in Louisiana, and a lot of the black members walked out at his swearing in (or whatever you call it).

In 1991, he ran for governor of Louisiana. The national GOP publicly denounced him and refused to give him any money. So desperate were the people of LA to NOT have him that the Democrats trotted out perhaps the biggest vote getter and sure thing since Huey Long, a womanizing and corrupt rogue named Edwin Edwards, which was about like trying to pick in the national race last fall (I'm only slightly exaggerating). President Bush 41 publicly denounced him, too, and there were bumper stickers all over the state saying "Vote for the Crook: It's Important."

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
Consider yourself lucky.

He was a Grand Wizard of the Klan. In 1989, he got elected to some kind of STATE level seat in Louisiana, and a lot of the black members walked out at his swearing in (or whatever you call it).

In 1991, he ran for governor of Louisiana. The national GOP publicly denounced him and refused to give him any money. So desperate were the people of LA to NOT have him that the Democrats trotted out perhaps the biggest vote getter and sure thing since Huey Long, a womanizing and corrupt rogue named Edwin Edwards, which was about like trying to pick in the national race last fall (I'm only slightly exaggerating). President Bush 41 publicly denounced him, too, and there were bumper stickers all over the state saying "Vote for the Crook: It's Important."
I remember it well. My first move to Louisiana was shortly after the whole mess. Edwards was governor, and the whole state was busy apologizing for him. It seemed everyone in Louisiana - black and white - was thoroughly embarrassed by the whole election and only wanted it to be forgotten.

Now I live here. I'm embarrassed with them, and I still don't see how either of those reprobates made it through the primaries.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
i remember a few of the frat guys around tuscaloosa thought it would be cute to have david duke bumper stickers and signs when he ran for and got his congress seat back in 91 or so.

he stayed pretty well out of the light and in the fringes except for popping up from time to time after saying something stupid until fairly recently.
The same kind of vacuum that created Trump is what created Duke. By name recognition, he won his first election to the state house. He was then on his way to winning the GOP Senate primary in 1990 when the party basically forfeit the primary (and election) to avoid Duke winning. And his name got enough votes to end the governorship of Buddy Roemer while Duke got smoked by Edwards in the fall.

The scary part is that he ran for President in 1992 in the GOP primaries. They couldn't keep him out and Bush was in some trouble. Folks ought to be buying Pat Buchanan's wife two American made cars as his campaign at least kept Duke from getting any coverage he might have gotten from Yankees who didn't exactly have the Internet back then.

I wouldn't have put a sticker on my car, though.......it might get keyed.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
The same kind of vacuum that created Trump is what created Duke. By name recognition, he won his first election to the state house. He was then on his way to winning the GOP Senate primary in 1990 when the party basically forfeit the primary (and election) to avoid Duke winning. And his name got enough votes to end the governorship of Buddy Roemer while Duke got smoked by Edwards in the fall.

The scary part is that he ran for President in 1992 in the GOP primaries. They couldn't keep him out and Bush was in some trouble. Folks ought to be buying Pat Buchanan's wife two American made cars as his campaign at least kept Duke from getting any coverage he might have gotten from Yankees who didn't exactly have the Internet back then.

I wouldn't have put a sticker on my car, though.......it might get keyed.
the only reason i remember the thing about the duke stickers is someone i knew from high school was one of the students interviewed by the local tv station and all the folks that knew him were just shaking our heads and the nonsense he was saying (while of course adding in all of the qualifiers to show that what he was saying was totally not racist.)

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
The worst 10% of every "side" are the ones who get on TV, who get arrested, who end up hurt, or end up hurting others.

The guy that drove the car...would have been fine with me, if they had shot him dead right there.

But is anyone really advocating that they shouldn't have been allowed to protest?

If so, why? Because, if you start to restrict that freedom, others soon start to get restricted as well.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
the march organizer tried to give a presser today. it didn't work out.

[video]http://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us-canada-40919178/unite-the-right-organiser-jason-kessler-chased-away-by-protesters[/video]

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
The worst 10% of every "side" are the ones who get on TV, who get arrested, who end up hurt, or end up hurting others.

The guy that drove the car...would have been fine with me, if they had shot him dead right there.

But is anyone really advocating that they shouldn't have been allowed to protest?

If so, why? Because, if you start to restrict that freedom, others soon start to get restricted as well.
I agree they have the right to do what they want. I think the best thing to do would have been to just ignore them. No counter protests, no media coverage, no people just there to watch the clown show. Have all the businesses in the area close for the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
the only reason i remember the thing about the duke stickers is someone i knew from high school was one of the students interviewed by the local tv station and all the folks that knew him were just shaking our heads and the nonsense he was saying (while of course adding in all of the qualifiers to show that what he was saying was totally not racist.)

While I do think it's possible to VOTE for Duke without actually being a racist (even though his brand is so bad I'd never do it myself), it's pretty much impossible to separate Duke from racism. This is not only a guy who was the Grand Wizard of the Klan (pretty much the textbook definition of a racist), but he's never publicly come out and renounced that, either. (A lot of us did things in our 20s that would embarrass us if Twitter was around back then so I CAN be gracious to youthful indiscretions......but even though he's not actually in the Klan as far as I'm aware right now, he's still advocating for that junk).

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
While I do think it's possible to VOTE for Duke without actually being a racist (even though his brand is so bad I'd never do it myself), it's pretty much impossible to separate Duke from racism. This is not only a guy who was the Grand Wizard of the Klan (pretty much the textbook definition of a racist), but he's never publicly come out and renounced that, either. (A lot of us did things in our 20s that would embarrass us if Twitter was around back then so I CAN be gracious to youthful indiscretions......but even though he's not actually in the Klan as far as I'm aware right now, he's still advocating for that junk).
i think he's now with the people's front of judea

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Is that considered terrorism?
Probably not, but listening to talking heads talk today, it seems that the DOJ can make a charge of terrorism stick to the driver. Making "hate crimes" or even 1st degree murder stick will be more difficult because the driver did not know any of the victims (one killed, and 11 or so wounded).

One lawyer talking head said pursuing state and federal charges for the same act was not double jeopardy. I will defer to the lawyers on this board.

That said, I hope they throw the book at this a-hole and he never sees a day out of prison again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.