Rioting at Charlottsville Va (UVA) by white nationalists and counter protesters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Was the attack in France on Bastille Day considered terrorism? Was it terrorism when a truck plowed into a Berlin Christmas Market last year? Or when a vehicle mowed down pedestrians on the Westminster bridge two months ago? I'm not really seeing the nuance you want clarified here.
I'd need to know the circumstances leading up to the incident, but since McMaster has access to more information than any of us, I'll take his word for it.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I'd need to know the circumstances leading up to the incident.
What set of circumstances would make this anything but intentional? What other reason was there for him doing this but to kill and maim? What other motive for this intent would he have in this circumstance? Have you not seen the videos? Are you unaware of the happenings? Or is the obtuseness on display the same the Trump has displayed over and over?

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
this links the video of the incident as a warning though it does not autoplay so you can read and avoid it

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...s-pictured-at-neo-nazi-rally-vanguard-america

The man accused of murdering a woman by deliberately driving into her during protests against a far-right rally was photographed earlier in the day standing with the white supremacist, neo-Nazi group Vanguard America.

James Fields, 20, of Maumee, Ohio, allegedly killed Heather Heyer, aged 32, and injured 19 others when he rammed his car into a group peacefully protesting on Saturday in Charlottesville, Virginia.

Photographs from earlier that day appear to show Fields rallying with Vanguard America and carrying a shield bearing the group’s insignia. He wears the white polo shirt and khaki pants that are the group’s uniform.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
What set of circumstances would make this anything but intentional? What other reason was there for him doing this but to kill and maim? What other motive for this intent would he have in this circumstance? Have you not seen the videos? Are you unaware of the happenings? Or is the obtuseness on display the same the Trump has displayed over and over?
Whew...never knew you to be so overwrought.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I understand your point. But I think it's more than a little misleading when folks fall back to the "both sides did it argument" when the initial violence, the majority of violence, and the most serious act of violence all came from one side.

Regarding Trump's weak response in particular, it's important to keep things in context. During the campaign, he danced for weeks to avoid disavowing the support of a former KKK grand wizard, despite knowing exactly who he was and what he represented. He's made no comment on the dramatic increase in white nationalist violence on his watch. He said absolutely nothing when a mosque was bombed in Minnesota, and his advisers even claimed that it was very likely a false flag event perpetrated by liberals to negatively influence the public's perception of far right extremists. He ignored the xenophobic murders in Portland and Kansas for days before issuing a vapid tweet in response that again sidestepped the bigotry underlying both attacks and stoked by his campaign rhetoric. And now Trump fronts a misleading narrative that implies both groups of protesters in Charlottesville were equally to blame for the violence while again refusing to condemn his white supremacist supporters. When directly asked, he even refused label the act of speeding a car into a group of peaceful protesters as an act of terrorism. This is not defensible.
you must be new here

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
You guys don't think Trumps reaction to white supremacists has anything to do with his dad being arrested at a KKK rally do you? Nah probably just a coinsidence

Last edited:

crimson fan man

Hall of Fame
Aug 12, 2002
Athens Al
Both sides hate so don't see no difference. Some will make an argument one side is more morally right then the other but hate is hate. Can't dress that up to be pretty.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I had never heard of David Duke except for in an episode of Parks and Rec where Donna gave him a contribution because he vowed to lower taxes, lol. Now the guy seems to pop up a lot more often.
i remember a few of the frat guys around tuscaloosa thought it would be cute to have david duke bumper stickers and signs when he ran for and got his congress seat back in 91 or so.

he stayed pretty well out of the light and in the fringes except for popping up from time to time after saying something stupid until fairly recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.