Rioting at Charlottsville Va (UVA) by white nationalists and counter protesters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Charlottesville, Virginia (CNN)Demonstrators clashed Saturday on the streets of Charlottesville ahead of a "Unite the Right" rally as white nationalists and other right-wing groups -- and counter-protesters -- converged in this college town in the latest flare-up of a running nation debate over the country's identity.
Fist fights and screaming matches erupted before the rally, which police expect to attract thousands of people. The skirmishes unfolded just hours after a scuffle Friday night between torch-bearing demonstrators and counter-protesters at the nearby University of Virginia.
Saturday's rally is the latest event drawing white nationalists and right-wing activists from across the country to this Democratic-voting college town -- a development first precipitated by the city's decision to remove symbols of its Confederate past.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/12/us/charlottesville-white-nationalists-rally/index.html

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
One of the best cities in America. Lived there for four years -- hope to retire there one day.
Nice place. A bit pricey. There are two Albemarle County cops who live within a couple of blocks of me (in Augusta County) because Albemarle doesn't pay enough for Albemarle employees to live in Albemarle.

I'd bet most of the white nationalist protesters are not from Albemarle, but a goodly amount of the anti-fa folks are (but by no means all).

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
They are saying a 3 vehicle crash. That's different from plowing into a crowd. Were they trying to block traffic?
That's not what I'm reading, but it's so recent that there isn't reliable reporting yet. Here's a twitter thread from a Buzzfeed reporter on the scene: LINK

FWIW, both the AP and Reuters are reporting that at least one vehicle "plowed into" a crowd of counter-protesters. They're not reporting it as a crash, but that may change as we get more information.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
That's not what I'm reading, but it's so recent that there isn't reliable reporting yet. Here's a twitter thread from a Buzzfeed reporter on the scene: LINK

FWIW, both the AP and Reuters are reporting that at least one vehicle "plowed into" a crowd of counter-protesters. They're not reporting it as a crash, but that may change as we get more information.
Fox News (Yeah, I know...) coverage showed a three vehicle pile up. The middle of the three had its trunk crumpled. The rearmost vehicle had been pulled back from the middle one.

The local TV station is NBC 29, so google that if you want the local news view of things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.