Rioting at Charlottsville Va (UVA) by white nationalists and counter protesters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
i haven't been to kc since i was about 11 or so and we drove through on a cross country road trip.
KC is not a bad place.
Oklahoma Joe's used to be a gas station/barbecue place, now it is called Joe's Kansas City BBQ. The BBQ is not bad, but KC does love its sauce. They bury the meat in tomato sauce. Arthur Bryant's is also pretty good.
The Negro League Baseball Museum is there and that is worth a visit.
The weird thing to visit is the Steamboat Arabia Museum. The Arabia sank in the Missouri River in 1856, the river shifted and in 1988, some investors dug it up and it was loaded with cargo and in pristine condition. They found a jar of pickles still intact. Worth a visit, if you are into antebellum history.
The National World War I Museum is there for some reason. It has an excellent collection. Gut-wrenching displays.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
KC is not a bad place.
Oklahoma Joe's used to be a gas station/barbecue place, now it is called Joe's Kansas City BBQ. The BBQ is not bad, but KC does love its sauce. They bury the meat in tomato sauce. Arthur Bryant's is also pretty good.
The weird thing to visit is the Steamboat Arabia Museum. The Arabia sank in the Missouri River in 1856, the river shifted and in 1988, some investors dug it up and it was loaded with cargo and in pristine condition. They found a jar of pickles still intact. Worth a visit, if you are into antebellum history.
The National World War I Museum is there for some reason. It has an excellent collection. Gut-wrenching displays.
my brother has to go there for work a lot as his regional fed office is there. he doesn't have great things to say about it, but when you are on a gsa travel account and staying at the fairfield inn and suites every night while dealing with regional bureaucrats your view of a city can be jaded ;)

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
my brother has to go there for work a lot as his regional fed office is there. he doesn't have great things to say about it, but when you are on a gsa travel account and staying at the fairfield inn and suites every night while dealing with regional bureaucrats your view of a city can be jaded ;)
My wife has to go to KC once a quarter or so for work and hates the place too

there is a great Tiki bar there though if your brother is into places like that, wife and her bff that works with her always end up there when in KC

https://www.tikicatkc.com/

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
KC is not a bad place.
My wife and I went to Steamboat Arabia Museum about ten years ago. We’re going to take my daughter there next time we head west. Very interesting place. I couldn’t help but wonder if there wasn’t also gold found on the boat.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
My wife and I went to Steamboat Arabia Museum about ten years ago. We’re going to take my daughter there next time we head west. Very interesting place. I couldn’t help but wonder if there wasn’t also gold found on the boat.
I reckon there was some gold on that boat.
The folks that excavated the Arabia had to have spent a small mountain of money. Since this was in the floodplain of the Big Muddy (Missouri River), they had to have pumps running 24/7 to keep the site above water. Excavating took them months/years, so the fuel bill alone would have been huge.
Whatever was in the boat, the excavators have turned that into gold, since the museum probably rakes in a bit of cash annually.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
About 20 years ago I was there for about three weeks working. Really enjoyed it--though to be fair, much of that was due to
1. My brother getting me a really good rate at a good hotel (he worked for Hilton at the time).
2. Said hotel being within walking distance from a three story Barnes & Noble.

That said, KC has one of the most messed up airports I have EVER seen. If I had to fly there regularly that alone would be an issue.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
About 20 years ago I was there for about three weeks working. Really enjoyed it--though to be fair, much of that was due to
1. My brother getting me a really good rate at a good hotel (he worked for Hilton at the time).
2. Said hotel being within walking distance from a three story Barnes & Noble.

That said, KC has one of the most messed up airports I have EVER seen. If I had to fly there regularly that alone would be an issue.
Out of curiosity, what is messed up about it?

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Out of curiosity, what is messed up about it?
The design is utterly inadequate for a major airport. Three concourses that are separate buildings. No connection between any of them--so they have to run trams non stop. Really fun in bad weather. Since they're separate buildings, you have to go through security whenever you change concourses. Not unusual to have to change concourses for connecting flights.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
The design is utterly inadequate for a major airport. Three concourses that are separate buildings. No connection between any of them--so they have to run trams non stop. Really fun in bad weather. Since they're separate buildings, you have to go through security whenever you change concourses. Not unusual to have to change concourses for connecting flights.

All true, but before 911, it was awesome place to start/finish air travel. You can park 100 yards from your baggage check-in and gate, security was right next to your gate. Very simple. It was even hard for your bags to get misrouted since you checked your bags in right next to the gate you were flying from.

I imagine post-911 security modifications make it less convenient.
Having never made flight connections there, I can see how getting from one terminal to another in January could be a pain.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Will this prevent us from naming the football field after Nick Saban?

If a city wants to rename something or take down a statue within city limits, they should be allowed to do so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.