Rioting at Charlottsville Va (UVA) by white nationalists and counter protesters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Unfortunately for Dowling he was part of a rebellion against a democracy that should have been changed democratically from within if it needed changing. Take it away.
Just because you have the right doesn't make it right.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Unfortunately for Dowling he was part of a rebellion against a democracy that should have been changed democratically from within if it needed changing. Take it away.
Or you just could be someone who only pulls for the home team. ;)

When the Native Americans were at home vs The Colonists, I'm guessing you pulled for the home team.

When the Colonists were at home vs The Brits, you pulled for the Home Team

Now when The Union declared war on The South, most would say it was a neutral site....but The Union got to wear home blues....

Sounds to me you got a thing for the home team....

Until WWI anyway....I hope

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
Can a monument be considered a form of peaceful protest?

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
All I can say is its really, really dumb.
This isn't about political correctness or fear of people getting offended. ESPN said they asked to switch because they didn't want their announcer no one really knows to suddenly become an internet joke.

ESPN said:
"It was about the reasonable possibility that because of his name he would be subjected to memes and jokes and who knows what else."
Which isn't really an unreasonable fear.

Last edited:

AV8N

1st Team
Sep 18, 2013
Looks like espn dodged a bullet. Nobody on the internet is talking about Mr. Lee now.

Seriously, though, I hope he at least got to call a better game.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
This isn't about political correctness or fear of people getting offended. ESPN said they asked to switch because they didn't want their announcer no one really knows to suddenly become an internet joke.

Looks like they helped that fear become a self fulfilling prophecy of sorts. The forgot the law of unintended consequences.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

And, of course, you can guess what happened......there's now a meme out there with Robert Lee in....Confederate garb.......congratulations ESPN for being colossally stupid to the core.

Now about that Ravens announcer Gerry Sandusky........

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
And, of course, you can guess what happened......there's now a meme out there with Robert Lee in....Confederate garb.......congratulations ESPN for being colossally stupid to the core.

Now about that Ravens announcer Gerry Sandusky........
Or Philadelphia Eagles Spanish announcer Ricky Ricardo

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Just to clarify, Sports Illustrated and WaPo are reporting that the decision to switch was made by Robert Lee, who felt uncomfortable calling this game and preferred to be reassigned.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Oh, I think this may have softened the blow a bit. Imagine the meme material if someone noticed during or after the game. At least this way people will only talk about it for a day or so and move on with their lives.
We'll just have to agree to disagree. It makes it different if Mr. Lee actually did make the request of his own volition. I wonder how, exactly, it all was decided. Did someone at ESPN prompt him to go in that direction? IDK. Just asking.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
We'll just have to agree to disagree. It makes it different if Mr. Lee actually did make the request of his own volition. I wonder how, exactly, it all was decided. Did someone at ESPN prompt him to go in that direction? IDK. Just asking.
Of course they did, I have no doubt. Anything that appears to lean conservative is not aloud in sports these days, just ask Clay Travis. I'm surprised they didn't fire Mr. Lee.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
IMO they decided they did not want him to call the game and persuaded him to reach that decision. They may have started the conversation with something like, "We can't guarantee your safety if you call the UVA game"

Now they spin it as "We are only doing what is best for Mr. Lee".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.