Scrimmage(s) News/Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
Diggs and Ruggs at KR will be nasty. I'd rather Ruggs return punts and let Diggs concentrate on defense. I think people will be very happy with Ruggs in the return game. He's one of the best I've ever seen on returns and really reminds me of David Palmer in that sense. I know it's not best to "worry" about people getting hurt I'd rather not have Diggs there for now. I'm betting if Ruggs proves reliable on the punts we might only see Diggs at KR and DB.
Yes, I agree. Didn't like Cyrus back there. Didn't like Eddie back there. Would prefer not to have Diggs back there. ST increases risk of injury and I have to think that there'd be a drop off as we reconfigured our backfield. Prothro says hello.

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
No one is seriously suggesting Tua should be starting over Jalen. If they do, they need to have their head examined.

My point about Jalen is he isn't anywhere near first round talent at this time. He might grow into it but he has to improve quite a bit in his progressions in order to do so.
What QB has been a first round talent as a true sophomore in college? I do understand where the concern about Hurts is coming from, but I would chalk up more of his regression towards the end of the season to an OC that had basically given up, and a set of rules that were designed to limit TOs as much as they can. He's now worked with Daboll since February, and Hurts was never going to become Tom Brady.

We all know that any OC that has worked under CNS has to operate out of CNS' offensive playbook. He has allowed those OCs to bring their own adjustments within CNS offensive framework, but it's still CNS' playbook. Daboll isn't going to be under any different rules. We will have to wait and see how the team plays against FSU. Even then, I don't think anyone would've thought Blake Sims would have the season he ended up having after watching him play the WVU game - I certainly didn't. Just have to wait and see.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Tua is just a young man who had a good Spring and allegedly a good Fall. The circumstances are different than last year. Hurts has 15 games (14 as a starter, 1 where he played the most snaps) under his belt.

Neither are 1st round talents today but Hurts is incredibly safe at quarterback. It would take a faltering offense unlike anything we've seen since back end of 2007 for the QB position to become an open competition this year.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
There's flaw with the debate about QB and first round picks: "What QB has been a first round talent as a true sophomore in college?" That is not absolutely fair question to ask:

We've had true freshmen who started at QB, who went on to NFL. We've had sophomore, junior and senior who went to NFL. CAM Newton played one season at Auburn before he went to NFL. There is lot of vary factors involved, but in the end, There has been players who was projected to be drafted in first round, whether they were freshmen, sophomore, junior or senior. Take a look at all the qbs drafted in NFL http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?type=position

It doesn't matter if a person is first round potential or not. If Jake Coker played one more season at Alabama... He would've been 1-3rd round pick... Same for Blake Sims. who knows? THe fact Hurts did all those things last year.. and if he has another special year... He's a 1st round potential.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
That's my point. Someone earlier said Jalen has legit first round talent. That simply isn't true right now.
Actually, he said that Jalen has first round potential, which is true right now. Whether or not he matures, develops, and lives up to that potential - only time will tell.

Jalen's ceiling is not so low as to prevent him from becoming a first round pick.

mulletover

All-SEC
Dec 1, 2009
Cullman Alabama
I wonder if a righty and lefty QB effects continuity or performance of the players on offense? For instance a RB taking handoffs or the Right Side of the OL becoming the blind side etc...

JaxTider

Suspended
Jan 10, 2017
No one is seriously suggesting Tua should be starting over Jalen. If they do, they need to have their head examined.

My point about Jalen is he isn't anywhere near first round talent at this time. He might grow into it but he has to improve quite a bit in his progressions in order to do so.
Of course no one is suggesting that Tua start. BUT I guarantee you people will be, if Bama is struggling badly against FSU and our offense lacks balanced. This thing could turn on a dime, in just a few game minutes in Atlanta. And all the preseason pronouncements in the world won't change that.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
A QB with practically 15 starts under his belt has far more rope than a redshirt freshman in his first start like last year. Hurts would need to have a complete meltdown on the field for Tua to see significant snaps against FSU.

I'm telling y'all, Hurts will have to "trend" poorly not just have a few bad series in one game for Tua's door to open. A trend is not one game. I'm not betting on the meltdown. I'm hoping Tua is ready if Hurts ever gets dinged up.

MikeD

Suspended
Feb 24, 2007
A QB with practically 15 starts under his belt has far more rope than a redshirt freshman in his first start like last year. Hurts would need to have a complete meltdown on the field for Tua to see significant snaps against FSU.

I'm telling y'all, Hurts will have to "trend" poorly not just have a few bad series in one game for Tua's door to open. A trend is not one game. I'm not betting on the meltdown. I'm hoping Tua is ready if Hurts ever gets dinged up.
The most popular person on the Alabama campus is always the second string QB. I'm old and it's been this way since I can remember.

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
Of course no one is suggesting that Tua start. BUT I guarantee you people will be, if Bama is struggling badly against FSU and our offense lacks balanced. This thing could turn on a dime, in just a few game minutes in Atlanta. And all the preseason pronouncements in the world won't change that.
My FIL is one of those people. The moment an offense has a couple of bad series, he's already yelling at the TV about it isn't Alabama football to be this bad, CNS doesn't know what he's doing, and that might as well put in the back-ups b/c the starters don't care enough. Can't stand to watch a game with him.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
There's flaw with the debate about QB and first round picks: "What QB has been a first round talent as a true sophomore in college?" That is not absolutely fair question to ask:

We've had true freshmen who started at QB, who went on to NFL. We've had sophomore, junior and senior who went to NFL. CAM Newton played one season at Auburn before he went to NFL. There is lot of vary factors involved, but in the end, There has been players who was projected to be drafted in first round, whether they were freshmen, sophomore, junior or senior. Take a look at all the qbs drafted in NFL http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?type=position

It doesn't matter if a person is first round potential or not. If Jake Coker played one more season at Alabama... He would've been 1-3rd round pick... Same for Blake Sims. who knows? THe fact Hurts did all those things last year.. and if he has another special year... He's a 1st round potential.
Why do you think AJ was not a first rounder? But you think Coker would have gone higher than him with one more year to start?

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
It blows my mind. We all knew he was going to hit a wall as a first year starter at QB and we all knew that the wall would be harder for a true freshmen to break through than it was for Coker, Sims, McCarron, or McElroy who had several years on campus before starting a game. He hit that wall but that wall was against only some of the very best talent in the nation. Despite hitting that wall, he was the offensive player of the year for the conference and maybe a throw or two away from keeping a drive alive in the 4th quarter to secure a national championship.

I'm betting on him being closer to a Heisman candidate in 2017 than in a dogfight for his own position on the team.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Why do you think AJ was not a first rounder? But you think Coker would have gone higher than him with one more year to start?
McCarron is the best NFL quarterback product this school has produced in a very long time. I think Sims probably had a better chance of improving his stock with another season as a starter than Coker. Sims had a great understanding of the offense. I'm not sure Coker really figured out the basics of the offense until very late in 2015...we pretty much had to manage him into wide open deep throws through the run game. When we tried to run a more open passing offense, he made way too many mistakes.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I would note that one difference in the talk about "the second string qb" is that CNS has contributed to it by stating Tua will defintely play. This isn't totally fan driven. CNS also has talked very positively about Tua's passing ability and his performance in the scrimmages. He hasn't exactly stomped out the positivity swirling around Tua getting meaningful playing time.

Now, the question is "Is this a way to keep Jalen focussed and steadily progressing?" (which is what seems to be happening. Or, "Is this really a true freshman that we can't keep off the field and CNS knows it?"

A few weeks ago I mentioned that I had a conversation with a Bama sports medicine staff member and he said the Tua is pushing Jalen to be a better passer. Again, that doesn't mean Tua's a better overall QB right now, but I think it means he's probably the better raw passer right now.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I would note that one difference in the talk about "the second string qb" is that CNS has contributed to it by stating Tua will defintely play. This isn't totally fan driven. CNS also has talked very positively about Tua's passing ability and his performance in the scrimmages. He hasn't exactly stomped out the positivity swirling around Tua getting meaningful playing time.

Now, the question is "Is this a way to keep Jalen" focussed and steadily progressing (which is what seems to be happening. Or, is this really a true freshman that we can't keep off the field and CNS knows it?

A few weeks ago I mentioned that I had a conversation with a Bama sports medicine staff member and he said the Tua is pushing Jalen to be a better passer. Again, that doesn't mean Tua's a better overall QB right now, but I think it means he's probably the better raw passer right now.
He's continued to say there's no controversy. He's talked about needing to get Tua or Mac ready in case something happens to Jalen.

And when media members are asking about Mac and/or Tua, what's he supposed to do? Not give either the warranted praise?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
McCarron is the best NFL quarterback product this school has produced in a very long time. I think Sims probably had a better chance of improving his stock with another season as a starter than Coker. Sims had a great understanding of the offense. I'm not sure Coker really figured out the basics of the offense until very late in 2015...we pretty much had to manage him into wide open deep throws through the run game. When we tried to run a more open passing offense, he made way too many mistakes.
I agree on AJ. I really think he must have hurt himself in how he handled himself in the months after graduation and the NFL interviews.

I still believe he can/will be an effective NFL starter one day in the right setting/team.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
He's continued to say there's no controversy. He's talked about needing to get Tua or Mac ready in case something happens to Jalen.

And when media members are asking about Mac and/or Tua, what's he supposed to do? Not give either the warranted praise?
I understand his predicament and how his words get twisted. But, IIRC, his comments about Tua playing aren't just limited to being an emergency backup in case of injury.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
AJ was 1st-2nd round potential, but there was some talk that his confidence rubbed some of GM and coaches wrong way. He fell for a reason, but it definitely didn't have to do with his performance on the field. Yes, Coker had that chance if he had beat out Blake Sims... But it didn't happen. I'm just trying to get everyone to understand that it's rare that we had a TF who took his team to championship game. It's unlikely Hurts will lose his job this season. Saban won't pull him for Tua fast, because he know that will hurt Hurt's confidence in long run. Win or lose, we'll gonna ride with Hurts, unless Tua all of sudden become Hurt 2.0 where he start to win the team over late in season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.