Scrimmage(s) News/Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Thankfully, no one who matters is suggesting that. As for transferring--Tua knew Jalen was here before he signed up. Oh, joy, the football hummingbirds have returned from South America--making fussing noises with little mental acuity.
Between the Tua is better and the Auburn hype, I am about to lose my mind. I just want the season to start.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Actually there are lots of people suggesting Tua should be starting. It is ridiculous, but there are people suggesting it. If not suggesting that they are claiming Tua will transfer after the season or even before it ends.
I'm not trying to call you out, but can you cite one example of a person on this board saying that Tua ought to start over Jalen?

Maybe your talking about what you are hearing in other places (Finebaum, other boards, etc), but I don't recall one poster on Tidefans saying this.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I'm not trying to call you out, but can you cite one example of a person on this board saying that Tua ought to start over Jalen?

Maybe your talking about what you are hearing in other places (Finebaum, other boards, etc), but I don't recall one poster on Tidefans saying this.
I am talking about other places.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Between the Tua is better and the Auburn hype, I am about to lose my mind. I just want the season to start.
I love Auburn hype......I found this site: http://preseason.stassen.com/over-under/2014.html

They use "consensus" polls to determine ranks...

2016 Preseason - Auburn not ranked -- Finished 24
2015 Preseason - Auburn #7 -- finished unranked
2014 Preseason - Auburn #5 -- finished 22nd
2013 - Preseason - Auburn unranked -- Finished 2nd
2012 - Preseason - Auburn unranked -- Finished unranked
2011 - Preseason - Auburn unranked -- Finished unranked
2010 - Preseason - Auburn 23rd -- Finished -- 1st
2009 - Preseason - Auburn unranked -- Finished unranked
2008 - Preseason - Auburn 11th -- Finished unranked

Seems to me that when they are expected to do well, they bomb..... so let them "hype away"

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I really don't know what the debate is about. What you're saying is Jalen is the starter. Tua will likely play in most games. This is probably a good thing. We ought to be pretty good.

I agree and Roll Tide! :wink:
The debate is some posters are advocating that if Jalen struggles in the FSU game then Tua should/will get real pt. It's not about starting.

Last edited:

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
Forget that for a second. How can a QB learn to fit a ball into a tight window during a game, while under pressure, unless he does it in a game, under pressure? That doesn't happen in practice - that happens in games. Last year it became pretty clear that the offense was designed not to put that on Jalen, so he never learned to do it. He will never learn to do it until/unless he has to do it in games.

He is a great passer against air. Example - the MSU game last season. But he wasn't even given a chance to do the same things against your other opponents. Heck, the only game that they turned him loose against was MSU. They didn't even let him try the same stuff against far lesser opponents.

I expect him to get better as the season progresses this year because I expect Daboll to make him throw those passes. But I do not expect him to be any better against FSU than he was against Clemson. He is going to have to learn to do this other stuff on the field.

Again, JMO.
Agree with you, B1G. Coach Kines used to say that you can't learn to ride a bicycle sitting on the porch.

Power Eye

All-SEC
Aug 3, 2005
Forget that for a second. How can a QB learn to fit a ball into a tight window during a game, while under pressure, unless he does it in a game, under pressure? That doesn't happen in practice - that happens in games. Last year it became pretty clear that the offense was designed not to put that on Jalen, so he never learned to do it. He will never learn to do it until/unless he has to do it in games.

He is a great passer against air. Example - the MSU game last season. But he wasn't even given a chance to do the same things against your other opponents. Heck, the only game that they turned him loose against was MSU. They didn't even let him try the same stuff against far lesser opponents.

I expect him to get better as the season progresses this year because I expect Daboll to make him throw those passes. But I do not expect him to be any better against FSU than he was against Clemson. He is going to have to learn to do this other stuff on the field.

Again, JMO.
I understand what you're saying, but I don't agree with the notion that he won't be better against FSU than he was against Clemson just because he hasn't had real game experience since. You get better in every sport by fine tuning your mechanics in practice. I do expect him to be a fundamentally better passer which, in turn, leads to more confidence and better decision making. That's not to say he will definitely be better, but I think it's a reasonable expectation.

JaxTider

Suspended
Jan 10, 2017
"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth", as Mike Tyson said.

An improved Jalen has been baked into everyone's cake since A Day. But remember, we all eat lies when our hearts are hungry.

We'll see about Jalen against FSU.

Last edited:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Well, I'm more worried about the kicking game than I am worried about Hurts at quarterback. Having said that, he'll be on his third OC in three games, and facing another great defense. He hasn't played a weak defense since Miss. State, and I'm concerned that FSU will be well prepared to try and exploit his weaknesses.

I really think it's downhill from there though. He just needs to find away to survive that game, and I think we can expect to see some real development from him. It's just not realistic to expect much against FSU though, the deck is kind of stacked in terms of new OC/elite defense.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Well, I'm more worried about the kicking game than I am worried about Hurts at quarterback. Having said that, he'll be on his third OC in three games, and facing another great defense. He hasn't played a weak defense since Miss. State, and I'm concerned that FSU will be well prepared to try and exploit his weaknesses.

I really think it's downhill from there though. He just needs to find away to survive that game, and I think we can expect to see some real development from him. It's just not realistic to expect much against FSU though, the deck is kind of stacked in terms of new OC/elite defense.
Downhill?

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

Again, JMO.
I'm just hoping he's good enough to make FSU play honest and defend the whole field. If he is, I think we win.

If he's made no improvement since the Auburn / Florida / Washington / Clemson run, well, take FSU and the points.

My personal take is that it's true that players, especially QBs make the most improvement during games. But that doesn't mean practice and offseason work are worthless beyond conditioning. So I'm expecting an improved Jalen Hurts who is also still a work in progress.

Whether that's enough to keep the FSU defense from ignoring half the field or not, we'll just have to see.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
From an observer who knows what he is talking about: "The offense didn't look good...but then the offense didn't look good in preseason scrimmages last year."

"Having said that, he'll be on his third OC in three games, and facing another great defense. He hasn't played a weak defense since Miss. State, and I'm concerned that FSU will be well prepared to try and exploit his weaknesses."

Excellent points, KrAzy3. I think you nailed it...

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
A lot of offenses didn't look good against our ones. I'm betting that Coach is giving the ones a free run to get JH ready for FSU. Just a thought. A lot will depend on the running game. I'm hoping the OL (my biggest worry) will be locked down and gel quickly. That inconsistency was the biggest problem on offense last year and caused more headaches for our freshman qb than most things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.