Scrimmage(s) News/Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
As flighty as quarterbacks are these days, a HC has to give the backups some praise when warranted in the media.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
I'm betting on him being closer to a Heisman candidate in 2017 than in a dogfight for his own position on the team.
As am I.

IMO his passing will improve enough that his dual threat ability and production will be much better than last year. A Tebow 2007 type year, 20+ passing AND rushing TDs.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
It could just be an impression, but having been a Bama fan most of my life, it seems we fret and worry more than a little regardless of our success. I don`t frequent ITAT or other team sites and I find myself wondering if they`re the same way or are they " all in " , " no sweat ", " national champs, of course".

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
My FIL is one of those people. The moment an offense has a couple of bad series, he's already yelling at the TV about it isn't Alabama football to be this bad, CNS doesn't know what he's doing, and that might as well put in the back-ups b/c the starters don't care enough. Can't stand to watch a game with him.
I think I've read his posts on Game Threads

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Let's slow down a little bit and look at our schedule for 2017:
FSU- First game with Daboll as OC. This is the game where we all have to figure out some things, what works and what didn't work. I expect Hurts to have somewhat average game. I don't anticipate Tua to play a lot in the game unless We're up by 25 or 30 points. I think Saban is playing mind games with FSU because it's the first game of the season. Few things we need to see in that game is middle of the field passing, better decision on when to throw and when to run, and deep ball throws. That's it.

Fresno State, Colorado State, Vanderbilt: If everything goes smooth, I expect Hurts to throw for 200 yards or more in those game. They will try and continue to develop him as a passer before heading into SEC Play. Tua/Jones will play in second half to get some experience under their belts.

Ole Miss, Texas A&M, Arkansas, Tennessee, LSU, MS State, Auburn- I expect Hurts to play a lot, but I suspect there will be one or two package for Tua to play. Tua is the surprise element when we head into SEC play because its possible that we will force opposing teams to prepare for both qbs, not knowing what to expect.

The schedule is set up easily to where Hurts can easily have a Heisman year, as well Ridley, Foster, Scarbough, and on the other side, Minkah, Evans... who knows. So, with that in mind, let's get behind Hurts and support him 100 percent this season...

I once thought Hurts might struggle against LSU but I'm not convinced now. Auburn is the wildcat.

Wilson Monroe

1st Team
Jul 19, 2016
My FIL is one of those people. The moment an offense has a couple of bad series, he's already yelling at the TV about it isn't Alabama football to be this bad, CNS doesn't know what he's doing, and that might as well put in the back-ups b/c the starters don't care enough. Can't stand to watch a game with him.

This is my mother 100%. Never let these two watch a game together!

She also instigated/goaded a fight with some bad Georgia fans years ago. Poor Dad had to take on three of them.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Let's slow down a little bit and look at our schedule for 2017:
FSU- First game with Daboll as OC. This is the game where we all have to figure out some things, what works and what didn't work. I expect Hurts to have somewhat average game. I don't anticipate Tua to play a lot in the game unless We're up by 25 or 30 points. I think Saban is playing mind games with FSU because it's the first game of the season. Few things we need to see in that game is middle of the field passing, better decision on when to throw and when to run, and deep ball throws. That's it.

Fresno State, Colorado State, Vanderbilt: If everything goes smooth, I expect Hurts to throw for 200 yards or more in those game. They will try and continue to develop him as a passer before heading into SEC Play. Tua/Jones will play in second half to get some experience under their belts.

Ole Miss, Texas A&M, Arkansas, Tennessee, LSU, MS State, Auburn- I expect Hurts to play a lot, but I suspect there will be one or two package for Tua to play. Tua is the surprise element when we head into SEC play because its possible that we will force opposing teams to prepare for both qbs, not knowing what to expect.

The schedule is set up easily to where Hurts can easily have a Heisman year, as well Ridley, Foster, Scarbough, and on the other side, Minkah, Evans... who knows. So, with that in mind, let's get behind Hurts and support him 100 percent this season...

I once thought Hurts might struggle against LSU but I'm not convinced now. Auburn is the wildcat.
I really don't know what the debate is about. What you're saying is Jalen is the starter. Tua will likely play in most games. This is probably a good thing. We ought to be pretty good.

I agree and Roll Tide! :wink:

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I really don't know what the debate is about. What you're saying is Jalen is the starter. Tua will likely play in most games. This is probably a good thing. We ought to be pretty good.

I agree and Roll Tide! :wink:
Oh one more thing. Remember last year, coaches said they don't have time to develop player during the season, so its possible they'll use the early schedule to try and help players get better. It's on the players once we head to tough schedule.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Oh one more thing. Remember last year, coaches said they don't have time to develop player during the season, so its possible they'll use the early schedule to try and help players get better. It's on the players once we head to tough schedule.
I don't remember coaches saying that - but fans did. Coker developed from an average QB to an excellent QB during the 2015 season. He couldn't hit wide open receiver on a deep route to save his life early in that season. Every time he threw one it was up for grabs. By the end of the season, he was accurate on all of his passes.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
I don't remember coaches saying that - but fans did. Coker developed from an average QB to an excellent QB during the 2015 season. He couldn't hit wide open receiver on a deep route to save his life early in that season. Every time he threw one it was up for grabs. By the end of the season, he was accurate on all of his passes.
Including the deep throw to Ardarius against Clemson that may have been one of the best throws I've ever seen.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Maybe I worded it wrong. He was protected instead of developing him late in season. It is hard to develop players during the season. There's not enough time to sit back and correct any mistakes. you just roll with the punches.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
No one is seriously suggesting Tua should be starting over Jalen. If they do, they need to have their head examined.

My point about Jalen is he isn't anywhere near first round talent at this time. He might grow into it but he has to improve quite a bit in his progressions in order to do so.
Actually there are lots of people suggesting Tua should be starting. It is ridiculous, but there are people suggesting it. If not suggesting that they are claiming Tua will transfer after the season or even before it ends.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Maybe I worded it wrong. He was protected instead of developing him late in season. It is hard to develop players during the season. There's not enough time to sit back and correct any mistakes. you just roll with the punches.
JMO, but I believe that Hurts was ignored as a passer until it was too late. He didn't develop because he wasn't forced to develop.

Looks like they are going to let him fail a little this year. That is what it takes.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
JMO, but I believe that Hurts was ignored as a passer until it was too late. He didn't develop because he wasn't forced to develop.

Looks like they are going to let him fail a little this year. That is what it takes.
I think that the fundamentals that are focused on early in the fall don't happen when they are game planning for the next opponent. You hear coaches speak about getting back to the fundamentals when they have an open week or begin to practice for the bowl games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think that the fundamentals that are focused on early in the fall don't happen when they are game planning for the next opponent. You hear coaches speak about getting back to the fundamentals when they have an open week or begin to practice for the bowl games.
Forget that for a second. How can a QB learn to fit a ball into a tight window during a game, while under pressure, unless he does it in a game, under pressure? That doesn't happen in practice - that happens in games. Last year it became pretty clear that the offense was designed not to put that on Jalen, so he never learned to do it. He will never learn to do it until/unless he has to do it in games.

He is a great passer against air. Example - the MSU game last season. But he wasn't even given a chance to do the same things against your other opponents. Heck, the only game that they turned him loose against was MSU. They didn't even let him try the same stuff against far lesser opponents.

I expect him to get better as the season progresses this year because I expect Daboll to make him throw those passes. But I do not expect him to be any better against FSU than he was against Clemson. He is going to have to learn to do this other stuff on the field.

Again, JMO.

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
Forget that for a second. How can a QB learn to fit a ball into a tight window during a game, while under pressure, unless he does it in a game, under pressure? That doesn't happen in practice - that happens in games. Last year it became pretty clear that the offense was designed not to put that on Jalen, so he never learned to do it. He will never learn to do it until/unless he has to do it in games.

He is a great passer against air. Example - the MSU game last season. But he wasn't even given a chance to do the same things against your other opponents. Heck, the only game that they turned him loose against was MSU. They didn't even let him try the same stuff against far lesser opponents.

I expect him to get better as the season progresses this year because I expect Daboll to make him throw those passes. But I do not expect him to be any better against FSU than he was against Clemson. He is going to have to learn to do this other stuff on the field.

Again, JMO.
But B1G, he threw great at the Manning camp.:smile:

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
Actually there are lots of people suggesting Tua should be starting. It is ridiculous, but there are people suggesting it. If not suggesting that they are claiming Tua will transfer after the season or even before it ends.
Thankfully, no one who matters is suggesting that. As for transferring--Tua knew Jalen was here before he signed up. Oh, joy, the football hummingbirds have returned from South America--making fussing noises with little mental acuity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.