Scrimmage(s) News/Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Few things:
1. http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/i...yers_stood_out_during.html#incart_2box_sports

2. Defense will be VERY GOOD this year. They truly dominated the scrimmage. Very rare for a first scrimmage. I guess getting torched for 400 yards last year, and in spring game will do that to you.

3. Hurts will be fine. When you go against one of the top 3 defense in the country, It's hard to generate something against them.

4. Offense is still new and I expect them to struggle somewhat this Saturday. As long they improve from scrimmage 1 to scrimmage 2.. I don't care.

5. I expect us to be very explosive team with nasty defense by Game 4.
Defense dominating early scrimmages is the norm, especially at Alabama.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Few things:
1. http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/i...yers_stood_out_during.html#incart_2box_sports

2. Defense will be VERY GOOD this year. They truly dominated the scrimmage. Very rare for a first scrimmage. I guess getting torched for 400 yards last year, and in spring game will do that to you.

3. Hurts will be fine. When you go against one of the top 3 defense in the country, It's hard to generate something against them.

4. Offense is still new and I expect them to struggle somewhat this Saturday. As long they improve from scrimmage 1 to scrimmage 2.. I don't care.

5. I expect us to be very explosive team with nasty defense by Game 4.
To a degree, I am imagine that coaches can make things look as good as they want them to look in a scrimmage certainly defensive minded coaches.

But Jalen has to be more than 1/15th better than last year. We had the most offensive defense in the history of the game last year. Without it we would have most certainly lost the Ole Miss game and maybe a couple more. While talented for sure, if he only marginally improves I am not sure this year's defense can bail him out or hold a consistent lead.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

beatthemtigers

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
I honestly think it's a little crazy some of you are worried about him, I have no doubts he will be "marginally" better. Kid was only 18 last year, still insane to think about

1/15 better? How do you calculate that? Like JD said, he will need to be better than that this year but I'm sure he will be.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I honestly think it's a little crazy some of you are worried about him, I have no doubts he will be "marginally" better. Kid was only 18 last year, still insane to think about

1/15 better? How do you calculate that? Like JD said, he will need to be better than that this year but I'm sure he will be.
15 games...

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
To a degree, I am imagine that coaches can make things look as good as they want them to look in a scrimmage certainly defensive minded coaches.

But Jalen has to be more than 1/15th better than last year. We had the most offensive defense in the history of the game last year. Without it we would have most certainly lost the Ole Miss game and maybe a couple more. While talented for sure, if he only marginally improves I am not sure this year's defense can bail him out or hold a consistent lead.

I see your point, but the logic assumes that players improve only in games, nowhere else.

Everything we've heard from coaches and players would indicate that Jalen has worked hard in practice, on his own, in the Manning Passing Academy, with private coaches, and made significant strides.

While I'm confident he's materially better than he was against Washington and Clemson, I'm also under no illusions that he'll make us forget AJ McCarron as a passer. But he doesn't have to. He just has to be good enough to make the good defenses respect the whole field.

It's 18 days until we know if he's made that much improvement.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Am told also that the defense looks absolutely great given what we lost. Honestly, when have we not had a stout D since Saban got here? I'm not worried about that side of the ball at all.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

The scrimmage was 135 plays. It was a scrimmage to see if anyone learned their playbook and know where they were supposed to be. I'm not even worried about Hurts at this point because I feel like there are some pressing matter we need to be concerned about like... the kicker.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
The scrimmage was 135 plays. It was a scrimmage to see if anyone learned their playbook and know where they were supposed to be. I'm not even worried about Hurts at this point because I feel like there are some pressing matter we need to be concerned about like... the kicker.
Dear Lord just give me someone with consistency from 40 yards and in.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
A lot more information is coming out on twitter about this scrimmage. If no one else beats me to it I'll post what people are saying later.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
This is from what some people have been posting on twitter so TIFWIW:

- 1st team nickel is Diggs, Minkah, Hootie, Ronnie and Averett
- First FG is JK Scott with a 42 yarder that's blocked
- Jedrick Willis at RT with the 1st team OL
- Tua throws a sure TD to Sims who fumbles out of the endzone
- Ruggs with a great catch from Tua
- All 3 freshman getting reps with the 1st team offense
- Pappanastos hits a 46 yard FG
- Mac Jones to Shavers for the first TD of the day. Bulovas makes the PAT
- JK Scott hits a 50 yard FG
- Hurts with a TD to Foster. Rain coming down hard
- Ruggs and Diggs splitting most of the return duties
- Tua and Ruggs seem to have good chemistry. Several connections today
- Hurts leads a hurry up drive down the field but stalls in red zone
- Pappanastos makes a 42 yard FG
- Bulovas misses a 49 yard FG. He gets a do over and makes it
-Jalen completes a pass to Irv Smith. Tries a pass to Smith on the next play and throws a horrible interception to Mack Wilson at the 2 yard line
-That interception ends the scrimmage. Jalen did not have a good day. Sloppy footwork, inconsistent and inaccurate

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.