Politics: Alabama Senate race

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Some preacher with big money backing is running for governor next year. He is running on a platform of Christian values.

I’ll pass. I’ve had enough preaching to me by politicians.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
When John Kerry was running for president, the Massachusetts legislature passed a law taking away the governor’s power to appoint a replacement Senator so Mitt Romney couldn’t appoint one if Kerry won. Romney vetoed it, saying he supported a special election, but at least wanted the power to appoint a temporary one. They overrode his veto.

Then when Ted Kennedy died, they were all upset they were without a Senator for a few weeks so they had to change the law.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Says it will end special elections, but not how they will decide who will be the senator in a case where a special election would be needed. I do not buy the saving the state money line though. I think they are trying to control who gets senate seats.
If there is no special election, then the vote would need to be cast at the next general election. The lingering question is whether the state's governor would appoint the interim Senator, and I suspect that would be the plan here (as it is in many other states).

Frankly, it sounds more like sour grapes than a legitimate budget-conscious proposal to save money.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
If there is no special election, then the vote would need to be cast at the next general election. The lingering question is whether the state's governor would appoint the interim Senator, and I suspect that would be the plan here (as it is in many other states).

Frankly, it sounds more like sour grapes than a legitimate budget-conscious proposal to save money.
Given our history of governors, I'm not sure they should appoint a dog walker, let alone a senator.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

But it's not.

Clouse said he developed the bill in May and filed the first draft in August, before the Democratic and Republican primaries for the seat.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I don't have a problem with a special election if the next regular election is a long way off, as this one was. I don't know how you define an appropriate length of time, but if the next general election is more than a year away, then a special election would be warranted.

I do think there should be a provision where whoever is appointed can't run for the seat. That prevents the governor hand-picking someone and giving them a huge advantage. Granted, it didn't work out for Strange, but that was a special circumstance. He still made the runoff and was able to benefit from national support for the incumbent.

I wouldn't mind there being a blanket primary for a special election to cut down on the number of times we go vote. A decent Democrat should still have at least 35-40% support. The guy running against Shelby in 2016 got 36%. So if you have two or more strong candidates running as Republicans, a Democrat would at least be able to make the run-off.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I don't have a problem with a special election if the next regular election is a long way off, as this one was. I don't know how you define an appropriate length of time, but if the next general election is more than a year away, then a special election would be warranted.

I do think there should be a provision where whoever is appointed can't run for the seat. That prevents the governor hand-picking someone and giving them a huge advantage. Granted, it didn't work out for Strange, but that was a special circumstance. He still made the runoff and was able to benefit from national support for the incumbent.

I wouldn't mind there being a blanket primary for a special election to cut down on the number of times we go vote. A decent Democrat should still have at least 35-40% support. The guy running against Shelby in 2016 got 36%. So if you have two or more strong candidates running as Republicans, a Democrat would at least be able to make the run-off.
For those that share this thinking, what do you think about members of the judicial branch being appointed by the Governor during a term?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.