Politics: Alabama Senate race

Status
Not open for further replies.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I didn't vote today because I'm a registered Republican and the only GOP candidates that have a chance to win are crooks so why waste my time. Plus, I plan on voting for the democrat in December out of spite for the horrible job Trump and the GOP are doing, mainly because I'm ....ed about net neutrality. I will continue to vote against the GOP until the other side upsets me more, which probably won't be long.

Honestly, I'm about to give up on this whole election stuff. I mean really, what's the point? They are all bought and paid for by big corporations and lobbyist. They don't care about the American people at all, just their wallets. Democracy is nothing more than a charade at this point.
We aren't a democracy. We are a representative republic. We have some majority rule votes at the state and local level, but on a national level, we are a republic run by 535, plus 9, plus however many people directly influence the President.

It's been better and worse over the past 240 years, but it's never been perfect. There have always been crooks. There have always been good guys and bad guys.

The difference now, is that we no longer grow "thinkers". Outside of Rand Paul and maybe Joe Manchin.....everyone follows a pre-determined path. You line up behind one thought process and told what you believe.

It used to be just the left that did that. Now it's both sides.

Vote or don't vote....it ultimately will come down to a fight over: taxes, God, free stuff for most, and capitalism......

We are driving a used Buick in the mountains. It's storming outside, the roads have no rails, we are running out of gas, and your left headlight doesn't work.

Good Luck everybody!

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I didn't vote today because I'm a registered Republican and the only GOP candidates that have a chance to win are crooks so why waste my time. Plus, I plan on voting for the democrat in December out of spite for the horrible job Trump and the GOP are doing, mainly because I'm ....ed about net neutrality. I will continue to vote against the GOP until the other side upsets me more, which probably won't be long.

Honestly, I'm about to give up on this whole election stuff. I mean really, what's the point? They are all bought and paid for by big corporations and lobbyist. They don't care about the American people at all, just their wallets. Democracy is nothing more than a charade at this point.
Not in Alabama. Can't register with either party in the state. You could have voted in the Democrat primary if you wanted.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
They do have a new law that says if you vote in one primary, you can't vote in the other party's runoff.

So the Dems can't crossover and vote for Moore, the one they have a slight chance of beating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Could have swore I check a republican box when I registered to vote many, many years ago. Oh well, you do have to declare a party in the primaries, I know that is the case.
Only to receive the appropriate ballot. It doesn't prevent you from requesting the other party's ballot next time around on another voting day.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Only to receive the appropriate ballot. It doesn't prevent you from requesting the other party's ballot next time around on another voting day.

In the general election, you can vote for whom ever. In the primaries and run offs, you have to stick with one party.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
In the general election, you can vote for whom ever. In the primaries and run offs, you have to stick with one party.
Yes, I agree. But in case you misunderstand me, you may request one party's ballot in a given primary, and in the next primary, you may request the other party's ballot. And as you noted, in the regular election you're free to vote the opposite party. That is what I was saying.

Last edited:

MobtownK

All-American
Nov 20, 2004
Mobile, Alabama, United States
I might just switch sides in the general over this and for the first time in my life, vote democratic in anything but a local election. :/

I can't vote for Moore, and I haven't seen the libertarians put up anyone foe the seat.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I voted for Jones and will again, I feel good about voting for him. He seems like a normal person. If he's a typical Alabama politician, he's kept his crooked ways quiet, and after what we've seen with our elected state politicians, that might be the best we can hope for. Perhaps Jones is not corrupt, and I'm certain he respects the authority of the Supreme Court.

Strange verses Moore, at some point I keep expecting our local GOP voters to offer better, but it ain't happening this time around either.

Strange, Bentley, Moore, Hubbard...haven't the majority of Alabama voters embarrassed us enough without a Senator Moore or Sen. Strange?

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I think there are enough people who don't like Moore to elect Jones. But if the polls get close, the national party will jump in to make a push with control of the Senate being so close. Will the Democrats have the stomach to spend big bucks on a Quixotic attempt to take a seat in Alabama after losing the House race in Georgia?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I think if Moore is the nominee, Dem money will pour in from all over the country to beat him. If Strange is the one to run, there is an outside chance solid support from Mitch would do more damage than good...it might lessen enthusiasm and sap support rather than build it.

Last edited:

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
That "baby" needs to be drowned before it's thrown out.
Maybe so, but anyone who is conservative should think twice about the long game (i.e. not contributing to liberals gaining control of the Senate). Regardless of how conservative a Dem may appear, he will vote in lockstep with his party most of the time. Those who throw their hands up and vote for the Dem might as well "throw the baby out with the bath water".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.