Politics: Alabama Senate race

Status
Not open for further replies.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Well, they seem like lovely people.............................oy vey.............

(I've probably made their enemy list for using Yiddish slang. Feh!)

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
biscuits and gravy that have been sitting in the trash can for a week during august.
Rather than talk about the nuts supporting Moore, I'm going to tell a story involving a biscuit and major embarrassment.

I finished my breakfast at jacks, and after I dumped my tray in the trash I realized I threw away the biscuit I was saving to take home to the dog.
So I'm shoulder deep reaching in the bin...I could see it down there...and a good friend's wife happened to walk in and see me. I had only met her once, they had moved back to town from Tuscaloosa. She was a little surprised..."hey, how ar you?" She greets me.

I couldn't help it, but I said "hey Pam, great to see you. Did you know they will let you get whatever you want out of here, and they don't even charge for it."

Sorry for the highjack. I'll try to do better and stay on topic.

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
there are quite a few folks that think that trumpet is doing the lord's work, and doing it quite well.
For the record - despite our many disagreements on this board on many things - I, for one, do NOT, except for my belief in the ultimate sovereignty of God over all things.

I mean, maybe God WANTS this country a bit screwed up - I hate to say it, but we kinda deserve it.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I just saw new poll out of Kentucky. McConnell's home state support has absolutely bottomed out. I don't remember the numbers but they were stunning.
I wouldn't give ten cents for the poll you're citing. Public Policy Polling is consistent at one thing - being a colossally stupid joke. Nate Silver (the so-called god of pollsters) has pointed out their polling methodology - which is shamelessly biased to the Left - is a sick joke.

Now that doesn't mean I don't think McConnell has some problems back home. He's prominent, so if he's not doing well he gets a lot of bad press.

But unfortunately for the Democrats/libs, McConnell just got re-elected in 2014 with 60.2% of the vote, and he's probably never going to run again (he's 75 years old).

In other words, it's probably not true, but even if it is.....it doesn't really matter. If he wants to...

And just so we're clear, I've heard this same story before.........as in before the last time he got elected

I mention that because if Strange is the nominee, and gets McConnell's continued support and money, it might make things very complicated for the upset GOP base here in the Bama Senate race. What to do? Maybe McConnell could funnel money to Strange without people realizing where it came from.

But another poll shows Moore with a decisive lead over Strange, so there's that to consider too. I like the underdog's chance in this race, Jones looks real good in comparison.
And here's a fair question........how much of Moore's lead is because people know his name more than know Strange? Candidates with better known names tend to do better. When Gary Hart left the 1988 race in May 1987, some dude named Jesse Jackson became the front-runner in the polls......because more people had heard of him than had heard of Dukakis, Gephardt, Biden, Simon, Babbitt, or Gore.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I'm hoping Moore has already nearly found his ceiling of support. The people inclined to vote for him have voted for him probably several times before.

There's a new story up this afternoon saying McConnell and Trump are not on speaking terms these days, haven't spoken in weeks. That's after a heated phone where they apparently cussed each other.

If the nominee is Strange in our state race, Luther will have to thread the needle to hug Trump close and yet take Mitch's money. Seems kind of two faced, but then look how he got in office in the first place.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
For the record - despite our many disagreements on this board on many things - I, for one, do NOT, except for my belief in the ultimate sovereignty of God over all things.

I mean, maybe God WANTS this country a bit screwed up - I hate to say it, but we kinda deserve it.
if we're not in on the joke, maybe we're the joke

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
I'm hoping Moore has already nearly found his ceiling of support. The people inclined to vote for him have voted for him probably several times before.

There's a new story up this afternoon saying McConnell and Trump are not on speaking terms these days, haven't spoken in weeks. That's after a heated phone where they apparently cussed each other.

If the nominee is Strange in our state race, Luther will have to thread the needle to hug Trump close and yet take Mitch's money. Seems kind of two faced, but then look how he got in office in the first place.
Mitch might be an actual idiot. Nevertheless, I don't think he's stupid enough to give the Alabama seat to a Dem.

And on another note, I've seen a crop of Doug Jones signs spring up across Mountain Brook. Tells me what I need to know.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Mitch might be an actual idiot. Nevertheless, I don't think he's stupid enough to give the Alabama seat to a Dem.

And on another note, I've seen a crop of Doug Jones signs spring up across Mountain Brook. Tells me what I need to know.
That tells me Jones will be well funded to counter all the money Mitch pours into the state trying to tell the locals how to vote.

Mitch isn't stupid enough to give away a Senate seat, but Trump seems to be trying to do just that in several other states, which is what generated their feud.

Last edited:

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
It also tells you what your betters think. Feel free to lick their boots.
I think you forgot to turn on the blouse font. If you recognize people living in Mountain Brook as your betters you should try to think better about yourself.

I would guess you voted for Trump. It seems kind of ironic that you are dissing people because they live in Mountain Brook. You ought to check out Trump's palaces if that's your mindset.

Last edited:

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
I think you forgot to turn on the blouse font. If you recognize people living in Mountain Brook as your betters you should try to think better about yourself.
After you've posted over here a little more, you'll begin to understand that there's more meaning to what I post than the words that I type. Plus I don't use blue font.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
You don't remember me because I used to post a lot before you started. I know all about posting here, although I don't remember talk about boot licking from then. It's clear to me you don't understand my style of posting either.

Of course, I understood exactly what you were getting at. I was trying to poke a little fun at you using your own words.

I'll get more familiar with your posting style if I hang around, I'm sure.

Last edited:

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
I don't lick boots thank you very much. In fact, I am pretty sure there are no boot lickers on her. Why don't you lighten up a bit my oenophile friend?:conf2:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
That tells me Jones will be well funded to counter all the money Mitch pours into the state trying to tell the locals how to vote.

Mitch isn't stupid enough to give away a Senate seat, but Trump seems to be trying to do just that in several other states, which is what generated their feud.
The Tea Party crowd gave Richard Lugar's seat to the Democrats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
FTR - and I've said this many times before - I think this whole idea of people voting for person X because person Y is the President.....as some sort of protest.....is one of the most overrated, overstated, naive ideas out there. If you'll look closer, you can find actual data that overturns that idea rather than the simplistic "the party out of power won X seats at the mid-terms."

Remember that colossal landslide in 1994, when the Republicans won 54 House seats and the Senate for the first time since Joe McCarthy was a household name (like toilet)? The media narrative is "Bill Clinton was so unpopular that his party got waxed in the midterms BECAUSE of him." Sounds good, right?

But that analysis ignores reality - they almost always do. The districts were redrawn by the Democrats according to the 1990 census but the political analysts failed to notice two important points: 1) the Democrats lost 9 seats in the House during the so-called 'mandate' election of Bill Clinton in 1992, which suggests he didn't have an actual 'mandate' anyway; 2) no Democrat won a CONTESTED House race in 1992 with more than 54% of the vote. Throw in the fact that over 50 incumbents retired - and since the Ds controlled the house by an 82-vote margin, it isn't hard to see that more Ds would retire.....then throw in the fact many of those were in the South and were known to be setting up to be Republican seats for the future......the only surprise is that it was any kind of surprise at all.

It wasn't the NRA, it wasn't unpopular Bill Clinton, it wasn't anything other than the normal evolution of politics. That's not to say that there aren't some races where folks are mad at X and an incumbent can lose in a close race - except incumbents in close races almost always have other issues that make the race close anyway.

The Rs didn't take the House in 2010 because of Obama - they took it because of ObamaCARE (mostly). The Ds didn't win the House in 2006 because of Bush - they won because of things like the Congressional page scandal (people tend to frown on pedophilia) and some closely contested districts that swung the other way (like Giffords winning in AZ). In fact, go look at MOST of the losses were in SWING districts, not in 'safe' zones.

My point is this: just as nobody sane should have actually expected Ossoff to win the GA House race, nobody should expect the Democrat to win the Senate race. Now, it COULD happen - but many things could happen.

My point? Banking on Trump's alleged unpopularity to determine the outcome of the race is a fool's venture. Roy Moore's trustworthy rating is a more accurate barometer than Trump's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.