Politics: Alabama Senate race

Status
Not open for further replies.

OreBama

All-American
Sep 26, 2005
Portland, OR
I'm not happy a democrat won, but I am happy Roy Moore lost. Moore is the type of republican and person that I don't like. Even without the allegations, Moore seems like a bad person. Hopefully, the GOP will nominate someone better the next time. I won't hold my breath, though.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Roy Moore said:
“We’ve got one more day and then the election. We’re looking forward to it. It’s God’s will, whatever happens, so we’re expecting God to do whatever He does will be the right thing to do. This election is probably as big as any election has been.”
So of course now he's not wanting to listen to God's will. Pretty much sums it up.

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
I am glad I dont live in the state anymore. Between Birmingham and the corrupt mayors and now this looney tune senate race. Let the snowflakes begin to cover the state. Its back to the days of George Wallace all the state has to be proud of is the University of Alabama football team. Enjoy your politics.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Moore was a horrible candidate even without the assault allegations. He is a twice defrocked judge. He is a misogynistic homophobe. He fails to understand the basics of the first sentence of the Bill of Rights. Luther Strange beats Jones without breaking a sweat.

I am proud the people of this state rejected Moore. But a little ashamed it took the sex abuse charges for Jones to win a very close election.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Moore was a horrible candidate even without the assault allegations. He is a twice defrocked judge. He is a misogynistic homophobe. He fails to understand the basics of the first sentence of the Bill of Rights. Luther Strange beats Jones without breaking a sweat.

I am proud the people of this state rejected Moore. But a little ashamed it took the sex abuse charges for Jones to win a very close election.

thing is, the gop very likely knew of moore's proclivities and didn't bring them up in the primary. they could have avoided this embarrassment

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Hey guys, listen carefully. You hear it? That funny noise that you've never heard before?

It's the sound of the rest of America NOT laughing at us.
This is a nice experience...actually being proud of Alabama and it's voters. How refreshing, hope is restored.

We are going to see a wave election next November that will go a long way towards washing away the Trump stench.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
(LA Times article)

Meet Doug Jones, the law-and-order Democrat who won Alabama's Senate seat

The odds of any Democrat capturing a U.S. Senate seat in Alabama are steep at best, but Doug Jones was uniquely suited to pull off an upset Tuesday over Republican Roy Moore.Accusations that Moore sexually abused teenage girls played a big part, no doubt, in Jones’ improbable victory over the renowned religious right crusader.
Jones, 63, is a former U.S. attorney who cast himself as a law-and-order man. He is skilled at muting his liberal stands on such issues as abortion and gay rights — a necessity in one of the South’s most conservative states.
Jones also carries not a whiff of scandal, a major asset in Alabama after a spate of corruption scandals.
It didn’t hurt that Jones also supports gun rights.
“He turkey-hunts, he deer-hunts, and he believes strongly in the 2nd Amendment,” said Lowell Barron, a former Democratic leader in the state Senate.
Overwhelming support from African Americans was crucial for Jones, who is best known for prosecuting and convicting two Ku Klux Klansmen for the 1963 bombing of the 16th Street Baptist Church in Birmingham, an attack that left four girls dead.
He also prosecuted Eric Rudolph for the 1998 bombing of a Birmingham abortion clinic, which killed an off-duty police officer and blinded a nurse.
Jones won the seat vacated by Atty. Gen. Jeff Sessions, the first Republican senator to break with his party’s establishment last year to endorse Donald Trump for president.
In 2020, when Jones will be up for reelection, he will probably be challenged by a Republican more viable than the politically wounded Moore, so he will face pressure in the Senate to resist his party’s most liberal impulses.
More HERE

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
i did not realize beauregard sessions won this seat with 97% of the vote in 2014.
Nobody else was on the ballot. The Democrats did not field a candidate. There were 22,000 write-ins.

Shelby won 64% last year for a better comparison.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

I was wondering about this. So you are suggesting that if not for the allegations.....Moore wins?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.