Politics: Alabama Senate race

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
They are having a debate starting in a few minutes. You can watch it on line. It is unmoderated. Should be fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I watched the debate. That was a waste of an hour. It was two guys giving campaign speeches, not really touching the issues.

I hope for a real debate with Jones, but I doubt it happens.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Thanks, I needed that.

I've called Strange and Shelby's office to see if they are going to vote for the current health plan and both offices told me they were studying it closely but haven't made up their minds. I pointed out, in today's news, Trump had bragged he only needs two or three more GOP votes to get it to pass in the Senate, and the Alabama Senators were not the few he was talking about.

How can Trump say their vote is in the bag when at the same time the Senators are telling their constituents they haven't decided? Which one, Trump or the Senator is being dishonest? This was an especially frustrating question for Strange's office, since he claims to be best buddies with Trump.

So then I ask, is it possible that the Senator is trying to have it both ways? He would like for the people that will be disappointed if he votes yes to at least believe he studied the bill and voted on it's merits. While at the same time, the Senator seems to sucking up to Trump by voting on it no matter how destructive it is.

My suggestion, at least be honest with the people you are harming, and don't lie about it.
Promoting federalism and greater freedom is destructive. Interesting.

pcfixup

Suspended
Feb 2, 2005
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Thanks, I needed that.

I've called Strange and Shelby's office to see if they are going to vote for the current health plan and both offices told me they were studying it closely but haven't made up their minds. I pointed out, in today's news, Trump had bragged he only needs two or three more GOP votes to get it to pass in the Senate, and the Alabama Senators were not the few he was talking about.

How can Trump say their vote is in the bag when at the same time the Senators are telling their constituents they haven't decided? Which one, Trump or the Senator is being dishonest? This was an especially frustrating question for Strange's office, since he claims to be best buddies with Trump.

So then I ask, is it possible that the Senator is trying to have it both ways? He would like for the people that will be disappointed if he votes yes to at least believe he studied the bill and voted on it's merits. While at the same time, the Senator seems to sucking up to Trump by voting on it no matter how destructive it is.

My suggestion, at least be honest with the people you are harming, and don't lie about it.
Trump doesn't really care who wins. He wins either way.

This is theater to keep Doug Jones from getting any traction ... not that he would get any anyway,

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001

This is theater to keep Doug Jones from getting any traction ... not that he would get any anyway,
I saw a recent poll putting Jones within a few points of either GOP candidate. I think he's already gotten a lot of traction. The more exposure these GOP clowns get, the more sane Jones looks.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins

There was some sort of scheduled forum for all three candidates, but it was cancelled for some reason, but AL.com got the candidates to answer the prepared questions.

Jones

Moore

Strange

Jones comes across much better than the other two, if for no other reason than he actually answers the questions.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
There was some sort of scheduled forum for all three candidates, but it was cancelled for some reason, but AL.com got the candidates to answer the prepared questions.

Jones

Moore

Strange

Jones comes across much better than the other two, if for no other reason than he actually answers the questions.
This is kind of a side issue, but one thing I really like about Jones is his opinion of the Klan and people in it. Not only will he talk bad about them, he'll throw them in jail when he has a chance.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Moore told me point blank that the U.S. is a “Christian nation” and affirmed the statement that “laws themselves are superseded by God.” He claimed that Islam is “a faith that conflicts with the First Amendment of the Constitution,” and insisted that, even after sodomy laws have been struck down by the U.S. Supreme Court, homosexuality doesn’t “have any kind of public right.”
Based on this alone, I know he'll win. SMH. Link

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
If you think any law supersedes the Constitution in this country you should be ineligible to hold office. Period
I know you're an atheist and I'm an evangelical, but I agree wholeheartedly with this sentiment.

I can get the 'different views of the Constitution' - that's fine......but you're correct.

I'm an evangelical who does NOT want an attempt at a theocracy here myself.

Moore is running for Senate for the US and the STATE of Alabama - and if he does not recognize the laws covering those as paramount, he has no business running. Let him go run for monotheistic dictator elsewhere.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
As a judge, it was possible to remove him from the bench for not following orders from higher courts. A Senator doesn't have much power as an individual do we will be stuck with him. He won't vote much differently than Strange will, so that won't matter.

But I cringe at the thought he will use his office to make outlandish statements, with (R-AL) after his name.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Becoming Senator will make him a candidate for the Supreme Court (Though age would work against him there) or President.
How would being a senator making him more of a candidate than he already is (which is not one bit)?

pcfixup

Suspended
Feb 2, 2005
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
How would being a senator making him more of a candidate than he already is (which is not one bit)?

He will take the social conservative microphone from Mike Huckabee and Rick Santourm and will become the spokesperson for White Christian males and their supporters.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
He is 70 years old. That pretty much eliminates any chance of him getting appointed to the SCOTUS. He'll be 78 in February 2025, so he'd have a hard time getting elected president in 2024, the next time the GOP has an open seat in the presidential race.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
As a judge, it was possible to remove him from the bench for not following orders from higher courts. A Senator doesn't have much power as an individual do we will be stuck with him. He won't vote much differently than Strange will, so that won't matter.

But I cringe at the thought he will use his office to make outlandish statements, with (R-AL) after his name.

One obstinate Senator can really gum up the works for everybody, ....ing off both sides. Moore has a reputation for for doing just that. There was a recent article by one of his law professors, he described this type behavior always coming from Moore, even back then as a law student.

One Senator, if he's willing, can stand everything on its head, which is why McConnell doesn't want him up there.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
He will take the social conservative microphone from Mike Huckabee and Rick Santourm and will become the spokesperson for White Christian males and their supporters.
Great. What does that have to do with him getting closer to SCOTUS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.