Politics: Alabama Senate race

Status
Not open for further replies.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Trump never loses in his own mind. Whatever result he will claim he was right. There are still a few deluded idiots in his core supporters that can't see it but the rest of the world is waking up, finally. Trump is now 0 for 3 on backing candidates.
a few?

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
You really have to celebrate the level of journalistic excellence at Fox

https://www.mediamatters.org/video/...labama-senate-election-it-not-much-win/218831

Ainsley Earhardt claims sexual misconduct allegations made the election “a referendum on Harvey Weinstein, not on President Trump"

AINSLEY EARHARDT (CO-HOST): But also this was, you know, with all of these sexual allegation -- allegations against Roy Moore, a lot of women that were going to the polls, you said yesterday, people were holding their nose as they go to the polls. It's really hard, as a female, to go to the polls and vote for someone, even though those allegations were so long ago, even though they are just allegations. After Harvey Weinstein, it's just hard. I think this is a referendum on Harvey Weinstein, not on President Trump.

TODD PIRO (CO-HOST): And even that said, it is not that much of a win. Less than two points, as it stands now.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Jones got basically the same votes as HRC last year with a few exceptions. Conservative turnout was the problem for Moore.
In Jefferson County alone it was a 60k vote difference. Jones received ~150k to Moore’s 90k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Gerrymandering definitely did not have anything to do this because it was a state-wide election for a senate seat but the layover of the congressional district map is startling how well they lasso'd off the democrats in this state. They literally drew the lines around the city of Birmingham, went in a narrow line down 20/59 to the city of Tuscaloosa then grabbed all of the black belt. That is despicable political suppression of the liberal/centrist voice in this state. 6th district ought to be a purple district with Tuscaloosa and Jefferson County completely in it. As long as politicians draw these lines, we're screwed to inch ever so closer to the right-wing extreme every election cycle.
This quote puts it into perspective:

https://twitter.com/abc/status/https://twitter.com/leonardocarella/status/940953688071462915

ND1976

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 4, 2012
A huge number of Alabama voters were willing to cross party lines for the good of their state / the good of the country. Alabama set a good example for the rest of America yesterday.
I haven't been this happy with Alabama since you guys double covered Dave Caspar and let my classmate Robin Weber get open.
Go Irish and Roll Tide.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
A huge number of Alabama voters were willing to cross party lines for the good of their state / the good of the country. Alabama set a good example for the rest of America yesterday.
I haven't been this happy with Alabama since you guys double covered Dave Caspar and let my classmate Robin Weber get open.
Go Irish and Roll Tide.
Why didn't y'all just run the ball and settle for the punt? I wasn't even alive in 1973 and yet that game gets under my skin.

But, you're welcome for yesterday.

Titans&Tide

1st Team
Jul 22, 2000
Tuscaloosa, AL USA
www.kornegay.us
Gerrymandering definitely did not have anything to do this because it was a state-wide election for a senate seat but the layover of the congressional district map is startling how well they lasso'd off the democrats in this state. They literally drew the lines around the city of Birmingham, went in a narrow line down 20/59 to the city of Tuscaloosa then grabbed all of the black belt. That is despicable political suppression of the liberal/centrist voice in this state. 6th district ought to be a purple district with Tuscaloosa and Jefferson County completely in it. As long as politicians draw these lines, we're screwed to inch ever so closer to the right-wing extreme every election cycle.
I disagree. That's ensuring that Alabama has at least one Democrat in office at all times. If they really wanted to gerrymander, they could set it up in such a way that there is no possibility of a Democrat ever getting elected to the House.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I disagree. That's ensuring that Alabama has at least one Democrat in office at all times. If they really wanted to gerrymander, they could set it up in such a way that there is no possibility of a Democrat ever getting elected to the House.
there are different strategies you can take while Gerrymandering. One is to try to put small populations of your opponent into every region so that there is no one area where your opponent has strong odds of winning. The problem with this method is when you are a very rural Red State with several large islands of Blue, like Alabama where it would be nearly impossible for you to dilute your blue enough to ensure victory in every region. The Alabama 6th for instance, if it included Birmingham, as it clearly should, simply doesnt have the population outside of the city to counteract the blue. To fix that the best way is tie as many blue (or Red for reverse oriented States) areas as you can into one region so you only risk one of your regions. That is what has happened here Birmingham-Tuscaloosa-all of the Blackbelt single region. It is a sound strategy and it has worked very well for the Alabama GOP. It is why they can keep getting such crappy candidates elected

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
there are different strategies you can take while Gerrymandering. One is to try to put small populations of your opponent into every region so that there is no one area where your opponent has strong odds of winning. The problem with this method is when you are a very rural Red State with several large islands of Blue, like Alabama where it would be nearly impossible for you to dilute your blue enough to ensure victory in every region. The Alabama 6th for instance, if it included Birmingham, as it clearly should, simply doesnt have the population outside of the city to counteract the blue. To fix that the best way is tie as many blue (or Red for reverse oriented States) areas as you can into one region so you only risk one of your regions. That is what has happened here Birmingham-Tuscaloosa-all of the Blackbelt single region. It is a sound strategy and it has worked very well for the Alabama GOP. It is why they can keep getting such crappy candidates elected
they've got a pretty solid bench of crazy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.