Thoughts on Dabo, Clemson and the auburn game - Page 13
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3678910111213141516 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Re: Thoughts on Dabo, Clemson and the auburn game

Fans are arrogant? Maybe. But coaches are arrogant too!

If you are a good coach, you think you can win, almost anywhere. But when you combine a good coach with a blue-blood program like Alabama and you do that at a time when winning has been the norm, you'll believe you can be even better at Alabama. I think Alabama made NicK Saban a better coach.

So there will be a lot of coaches that would crawl on broken glass to take over CNS's program.

There's something enticing about coaching at a place like Alabama, Michigan, ND and places where history has been made (and continues in our case). Will that "appeal" to Dabo? Who knows. He might not even know right now.

But when that time comes we shouldn't sell ourselves short and think nobody could step in and be successful. If you think otherwise I give you two words: LES MILES
    Last edited by BamaMoon; September 13th, 2017 at 05:46 PM.

2. Advertisement

I for one don't think Dabo would come just because he played here. I have no clue if Alabama would actually pursue him.

But I can say my perception of him as an Elite HC has changed. He's not a shiny new name/flash in the pan HC like a lot of people on that above list. He has tangible sustained success.

He's pretty much proved he can build a program and maintain it. There are only 3 teams currently that have won 10+ games 5 or more seasons in a row with at least 1 National Championship and/or 2 Playoff apperances....

Alabama, Ohio State, and Clemson.

He's put himself in a class with CNS and CUM....and just beat both back-to-back. Nobody will be able to duplicate what CNS has done here but Dabo is about a good a bet as any to keep things going 'relatively' near the same level. 10-Win quality teams etc. We wouldn't fall off a cliff or anything.

Yeah we would misguided to go after someone again just 'because they played here'.....but we would be equally misguided to rule Dabo out because of that. He's Elite and that's why we should at least have him at the top of a consideration/want list.

It's all hypothetical anyway. We're talking about a situation that's hopefully 4-5 years away at least.
    Last edited by tusks_n_raider; September 13th, 2017 at 05:50 PM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by JaxTider View Post
    At one time or another Bama, Notre Dame, USC, Texas have proved that tradition and facilities are NOT enough, and that unless you hire a super competent coach and recruiter, you gonna go down. It is the arrogance and stupidity that leads to the mindset that "we will win because of who we are" that leads to taking chances on coaches who are not proven, but who might "fit" otherwise because they are photogenic, or one of Saban's boys or Bear's boy, or Irish, or whatever.
    ND- has a serious problem with instate recruiting like Tennessee and Nebraska, and conference affiliation hurts. Basically they are a dinosaur program

Texas- their board of trustees get in their own way. I really believe their tradition and historical relevance is overhyped. Nebraska and Oklahoma are far and away superior in both regards but Texas crams revisionist bull crap down everyone's throats.

USC- they are coming off a bad probation and two moron head coaches (Kiffin and Sark). So give it time.

I think Bama is rather safe in that they are capable of being a standing power, but probably not as dominant when CNS leaves. Even when the BOTs got in their own way after CPB stepped down each and every coach has had a 10 win season. Let that sink in... Mike Shula and Dubose had 10 win seasons. We have had several SEC titles and 1 NC in the time between CPB and CNS.

BamaNation Hall of Fame deliveryman35's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    That's more of what I think. I really believe Dabo is very happy where he is and would rather be known as the best at a place that took a chance on him over coaching at his Alma matta where he would be chasing shadows. That's why I believe if CNS would leave in the next 4-5 years then the best name in college football that we probably get is a guy like Dan Mullen. Think about it...

Urban ain't going to Bama

Jimbo is toxic but I think he turns us down

Dabo would probably give it real serious thought but in the end I believe he chooses to stay at Clemson

So then you get to the guys that have been around that have been lifetime lower to mid tier programs and never coached big time programs. Basically the Peterson and Mullen kinda guys. I think Mullen would be the more likely out of the two to get offered and have serious interest.

After that it's the high risk up and comers, coordinators, and Mark Richts of the world.

Point is enjoy this while it lasts. Because the successor probably isn't going to live up to expectations.

I would argue that the best available coach right now is currently out of coaching--Bob Stoops.
    Last edited by deliveryman35; September 13th, 2017 at 09:09 PM.
    "Football is a hard game. These spread coaches forget that. Until good defenses remind them." Gene Stallings

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by deliveryman35 View Post
    The best available coach right now is Bob Stoops.
    I think he would have as much interest in the job as Urban. The difference is if CNS retired today then Urban becomes the best coach in the country and it's expected that he gets a phone call from anyone serious in winning. Bob falls into that Mark Richt and Les Miles category in that he is a 3-4 year solution. IMO

BamaNation Hall of Fame deliveryman35's Avatar

I think he would have as much interest in the job as Urban. The difference is if CNS retired today then Urban becomes the best coach in the country and it's expected that he gets a phone call from anyone serious in winning. Bob falls into that Mark Richt and Les Miles category in that he is a 3-4 year solution. IMO
    You could be right about the interest. UM would be a nonstarter for a variety of reasons. On Stoops--how would he only be a 4-5 year coach when he is only in his 50s? Stoops is only 57.
    Last edited by deliveryman35; September 13th, 2017 at 09:21 PM.
    "Football is a hard game. These spread coaches forget that. Until good defenses remind them." Gene Stallings

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by deliveryman35 View Post
    You could be right about the interest. UM would be a nonstarter for a variety of reasons. On Stoops--how would he only be a 4-5 year coach when he is only in his 50s? Stoops is only 57.

At Oklahoma he won a title very early in his career and he owned Texas. He played a very weak conference. Bob has a tendency to underachieve, and seems to lost his killer edge. I think after maybe 1 championship and when CNS's recruits run out then Bob retires. I just see Bob Stoops as a guy that wants to ride in the sunset instead of making a serious run at another team.

BamaNation All-SEC dadleyblane5's Avatar

Y'all quit speculating on who replaces Saban. We'll have him another 20-25 years... He'll be on the sidelines with his cane slapping rear ends with it when he's pi**ed about something they didn't do correctly.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CajunCrimson's Avatar

There should be a committee of one to choose Coach Saban's replacement: Nick Saban. I would ask him. Whoever he chose, I'd hire them the very next day.

I do not think Coach Saban will be here five more years. Some posted on here that we needed to replace him with Daboll (and he had not even coached a game yet). Dabo would be an option to talk to. So would Pruitt. We will find a good coach, but it may be the guy who follows the guy.

I think we could hire just about any coach and win another NC or two just based off what CNS has built here. Similar to what he left at LSU. Les Miles is not a great coach but he won 1 and should've won more NCs based on what Saban left/built there. The problem is I don't think we're going to find a coach who will sustain success like Saban - well, duh, because Saban is on the most legendary run in the history of college football. With that being said I guess my expectations are somewhat tempered for the next coach. My expectation is that when Saban retires we should be able to win a few more SECCG's and NCs in the following 4-5 years and then the program will probably start to drop off some..

Quote Originally Posted by CajunCrimson View Post
    There should be a committee of one to choose Coach Saban's replacement: Nick Saban. I would ask him. Whoever he chose, I'd hire them the very next day.
    I'll repeat - Houston Dale Nutt...
    To err is human, to really foul things up requires a computer.

That's more of what I think. I really believe Dabo is very happy where he is and would rather be known as the best at a place that took a chance on him over coaching at his Alma matta where he would be chasing shadows. That's why I believe if CNS would leave in the next 4-5 years then the best name in college football that we probably get is a guy like Dan Mullen. Think about it...

Urban ain't going to Bama

Jimbo is toxic but I think he turns us down

Dabo would probably give it real serious thought but in the end I believe he chooses to stay at Clemson

So then you get to the guys that have been around that have been lifetime lower to mid tier programs and never coached big time programs. Basically the Peterson and Mullen kinda guys. I think Mullen would be the more likely out of the two to get offered and have serious interest.

After that it's the high risk up and comers, coordinators, and Mark Richts of the world.

Point is enjoy this while it lasts. Because the successor probably isn't going to live up to expectations.
    While I think we will not have to answer this question for another 10 years, if Mullen is still at Miss. St. At that time and still doing what he's doing then I love the idea. He does not have the national championships as others on this list but he has been coaching at Miss. St. No one contends for championships there.