Thoughts on Dabo, Clemson and the auburn game

JaxTider

Suspended
Jan 10, 2017
What do you all buy the barner self promotion hype?

Why would anyone have picked the Barn in this game?

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Re: Thoghts on Dabo, Clemson and the auburn game

Dabo>Gus, but I still never want him within 100 miles of Tuscaloosa.
Well, the thing is if it comes down to replacing Nick, there really aren't a whole lot of attractive options. If Alabama doesn't get a proven commodity, they are risking years in the wilderness while what Saban built erodes.

As far as top coaches go, I think once you get past Saban, it's Jimbo, Urban, and Dabo. Personally, I don't think there's anyone else I'd gamble on at the moment. So, things might change a lot between now and Saban's retirement but those are the top 3 as far as I'm concerned.

In terms of ability, I'd probably put Dabo last on that list (though he inhereted less). Tommy Bowden never won 10 games, while Urban (one year gap) and Jimbo both basically replaced NC title winning coaches.

But, Dabo is 47, Jimbo is 51, and Urban is 53. So Dabo wins out on that list in terms of who would have the longest potential tenure.

Who would want to come? No way Urban would, Jimbo has a good situation, but he might consider it. Dabo? He's born in Alabama, played for Alabama, and when asked in 2015 he said he'd listen. So, who on that list seems the most realistic?

Then we can look at character. I'm not sure I like how Dabo acts, and I've heard less than good things about his last stay at Alabama. However, he was 30. I also don't think he topped Jimbo's lets play the women abusers, or Urbans let's play the serial killer (who broke a guy's jaw while he was at Florida).

So, this feels a bit like the Bobby Bowden situation. It isn't a question of if he's the perfect candidate, but it is a question of if he's the best candidate. As of right now, it sure seems like he would be...

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

Well, the thing is if it comes down to replacing Nick, there really aren't a whole lot of attractive options. If Alabama doesn't get a proven commodity, they are risking years in the wilderness while what Saban built erodes.

As far as top coaches go, I think once you get past Saban, it's Jimbo, Urban, and Dabo. Personally, I don't think there's anyone else I'd gamble on at the moment. So, things might change a lot between now and Saban's retirement but those are the top 3 as far as I'm concerned.

In terms of ability, I'd probably put Dabo last on that list (though he inhereted less). Tommy Bowden never won 10 games, while Urban (one year gap) and Jimbo both basically replaced NC title winning coaches.

But, Dabo is 47, Jimbo is 51, and Urban is 53. So Dabo wins out on that list in terms of who would have the longest potential tenure.

Who would want to come? No way Urban would, Jimbo has a good situation, but he might consider it. Dabo? He's born in Alabama, played for Alabama, and when asked in 2015 he said he'd listen. So, who on that list seems the most realistic?

Then we can look at character. I'm not sure I like how Dabo acts, and I've heard less than good things about his last stay at Alabama. However, he was 30. I also don't think he topped Jimbo's lets play the women abusers, or Urbans let's play the serial killer (who broke a guy's jaw while he was at Florida).

So, this feels a bit like the Bobby Bowden situation. It isn't a question of if he's the perfect candidate, but it is a question of if he's the best candidate. As of right now, it sure seems like he would be...
This is a great breakdown and I agree with it almost completely. I might rank Dabo ahead of Jimbo when it comes to ability but that's it. I understand that for a variety of reasons a lot of fans hate Dabo and don't want him here but who else would you bother getting?

I guess you could add guys like Chris Petersen and David Shaw to a list but neither of those guys are as proven as the other 3. Plus, I would seriously doubt that Shaw would want to leave even if we did want him.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL

This is a great breakdown and I agree with it almost completely. I might rank Dabo ahead of Jimbo when it comes to ability but that's it. I understand that for a variety of reasons a lot of fans hate Dabo and don't want him here but who else would you bother getting?

I guess you could add guys like Chris Petersen and David Shaw to a list but neither of those guys are as proven as the other 3. Plus, I would seriously doubt that Shaw would want to leave even if we did want him.
All is know is that there have been 3 CFP championship games and Dabo has been in two of them and so have we. That's pretty strong company right there.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

All is know is that there have been 3 CFP championship games and Dabo has been in two of them and so have we. That's pretty strong company right there.
And I've seen a few writers predicting both Bama and Clemson in the Championship Game against this year...

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA

agreed...if Saban left tomorrow i would expect the AD to be on the phone immediately to urban, dabo and jimbo in that order.

outside of Saban, i think they're the 3 best coaches in the college game who could also handle the pressure of the program.

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015

And I've seen a few writers predicting both Bama and Clemson in the Championship Game against this year...
And Clemson had a major roadblock likely taken out when Francois went down against us. They win Saturday, they probably win the league - but I am starting to think Petrino gets 'em

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001

I'm expecting Saban to coach long enough that when the time comes, another, maybe younger coach will have separated himself from the crowd and be ready for Bama.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina

The best thing is that no one will ask our opinion when this comes to be -- I would not be surprised if CNS was able to name his own successor...and imho he has earned that right.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
You "never say never" but IMO Meyer, Petersen and Shaw would not want the job. Not a great deal to choose from right now, but I think we still several years before crossing that bridge. As Padre said, no one will be seeking our opinion.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
My question is this, is Dabo as good without Venerables as his def. coordinator?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would say he is smart enough to go out and get another Venables. How great was Venables before he had Dabo? He was good at OK but not what he is at Clemson. I know that Alabama was his dream job, may still be, but he knows there is some push back from a segment of our fan base against him ever being hired here. Personally I have alway like Dabo and root for him because of his tie and love, although he is forced to hide it, for Alabama.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

I'm expecting Saban to coach long enough that when the time comes, another, maybe younger coach will have separated himself from the crowd and be ready for Bama.
While I'd like to see CNS stay as long as he wants while he has the program at this level, let's say he's willing to coach another 5-7 years. Looking at the current state of college football, who's probably going to be winning titles in that time? There's a good bet that CNS will challenge for at least a couple more during that time. I could certainly see Urban and Dabo being in the mix during that time. Maybe Jimbo. So who's the young coach that might rise up and get a title among these elite coaches? Outside of Harbough, Shaw, Franklin and maybe Kirby Smart or Jim McElwaine I just don't see a younger guy breaking thru unless it might be Lincoln Riley at OU, but I have my doubts.

Unless Smart or McElwain win a title, assuming Dabo keeps Clemson going strong who else is there to pick from if the first requierement is those who have won NCs?

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

It's way too early to even speculate but if Coach Saban retired tomorrow I think it would be Jimbo.
He's said more than once that Jimbo was "the best assistant I've ever had".
He can recruit like crazy and has tremendous recruiting ties in Florida and Georgia. Plus he can flat out coach.
I'd rule Kirby out. He is now coaching his beloved alma mater and most certainly wouldn't leave to come back to Alabama.
Dabo may possibly consider coming back but I really don't think so. He has a really really good gig going at Clemson.
Urban, Harbaugh, Shaw, ha ha ha ...forget it.
It's most likely going to be someone that no one expects, perhaps even a promotion from within with Coach Saban making the choice.
I really don't think anyone can possibly even have a clue at this point, but if I have to speculate...Jimbo's the guy.

P.S.-(EDit) Jimbo also played at Salem International College so he doesn't have a ton of allegiance to stay at FSU.

Last edited:

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa

It's way too early to even speculate but if Coach Saban retired tomorrow I think it would be Jimbo.
He's said more than once that Jimbo was "the best assistant I've ever had".
He can recruit like crazy and has tremendous recruiting ties in Florida and Georgia. Plus he can flat out coach.
I'd rule Kirby out. He is now coaching his beloved alma mater and most certainly wouldn't leave to come back to Alabama.
Dabo may possibly consider coming back but I really don't think so. He has a really really good gig going at Clemson.
Urban, Harbaugh, Shaw, ha ha ha ...forget it.
It's most likely going to be someone that no one expects, perhaps even a promotion from within with Coach Saban making the choice.
I really don't think anyone can possibly even have a clue at this point, but if I have to speculate...Jimbo's the guy.

P.S.-(EDit) Jimbo also played at Salem International College so he doesn't have a ton of allegiance to stay at FSU.
With the way JF has handled a few situations, most notably the JW situation, I find it hard to believe that anyone would support him over Dabo. I get that some people have bad feelings towards Dabo because of things that happened when he was here before; however, he was a very young assistant who probably got caught up in the things that were happening. Fisher was the head man and in charge with the things that have gone on in Tallahassee. I would think that Fisher would be about as likely as that dude who was our offensive coordinator the last few years. Of course, if Saban tells the powers that be that JF would be a great hire, then I'm sure he would be considered. Personally, though, I hope Fisher is never considered.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.