Thoughts on Dabo, Clemson and the auburn game

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Re: Thoghts on Dabo, Clemson and the auburn game

Many rival fans absolutely hate Saban's personality also. I could get used to Dabo - if he were winning... :)
I'm coming around on that, too.

I also think Dabo is enough of his own man that we wouldn't have to worry about Saban's shadow as far as it goes.

Their Lake Burton friendship doesn't hurt.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL

Many rival fans absolutely hate Saban's personality also. I could get used to Dabo - if he were winning... :)
Ha...yeah I could too. Plus I'll even admit when CNS was at LSU I didn't like him...but now I have an admiration of him right up there with CPB! Funny how that happens.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Dabo turned down Saban twice since CNS came to Bama and before he was elevated. He was very frank to say that he didn't want to work as hard as required. (Actually said he wanted some time left over to spend with his family.) I'll bet he's having to put the work in now. At one time, I would have ruled him out because of some of the activities he was involved in while starting out under Dubose. I've mellowed a bit about that. He was the lowest man on the totem pole, and to him fall the dirtiest jobs, not that there should have been such jobs, anyway. Also, every head coach has some skeletons in his closet, including Saban. I would no longer oppose Dabo, if he wanted to come...
This is what I keep thinking about when I would see somethig happened while he was here. When you are young breaking into a profession you may not make the best decisions, especially if the head coach is pressuring you into doing things wrong, but as time goes by you see that what you did wasn't very smart and if you learn from your discretions you will not make those same mistakes again.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Before the Winston stuff, I would have said Jumbo. Now I don't even want to hear his name and Alabama in the same sentence.

Earle, may have just swayed me to Dabo some.

Mullen would be interesting. Imagine what he could do with more talent.

I wonder if dabaxter would still want Paul Johnson?

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
Bama people tend to get arrogant while on top. And that arrogance tends to lead to stupidity.

I hope Saban stays ten more years. But when he does retire, I hope the same stupidity and arrogance that lead to the snubbing of Bowden doesn't reemerge in the form of nitpicking Dabo and thus relegating us to another 20 years of irrelevance.
in all fairness, we were hardly irrelevant for 20 years considering we won a national title in the span.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I hope Saban stays ten more years. But when he does retire, I hope the same stupidity and arrogance that lead to the snubbing of Bowden doesn't reemerge in the form of nitpicking Dabo and thus relegating us to another 20 years of irrelevance.
I certainly don't agree with you on everything, but with this statement I can find not cause to disagree. I see a correlation in that Bowden was an obvious (but not perfect) hire, and Alabama botched it. If Dabo looks then like he does now (a very successful coach without any major marks on his reputation), I'd like to think Alabama would be a bit more intelligent this time

Last edited:

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
Am I the only one that takes offense to this?
Bama people tend to get arrogant while on top. And that arrogance tends to lead to stupidity.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I hate to say it, but I do fear a repeat of what we went through after Bear passed. The fan base and everybody else will want a Saban clone and somebody with his pedigree and will then get upset when they can't duplicate results. People will talk about The Process, etc. Frankly, as hard as it will be, we will have to let go and let a new coach create the program based on their ideas, not that of the predecessor. Saban, like Bear before him, will cast a long shadow. The only successful direct coaching hire we have had that went from one championship to another was Wallace to Thomas.
I'll just state my two main general opinions about our future HC prospects.

1) I don't like Dabo's personality. Many times in the past he has stuck his chest out and boasted about his accolades and been in many a verbal back and forth with Spurrier taking sarcastic jabs at each other. Unless he's matured I could see him acting like Turberville did at Auburn by starting the finger counting deal in reference to a winning streak. He seems to like to thumb others in the eye and has a bit of a 'little brother syndrome' in him. BUT.... I cannot deny he is the best HC in CFB right now not named Saban or Meyer. IF he came here directly following CNS we probably wouldn't miss a beat. He would at worst keep us at a 10+ wins per season level and in the playoff hunt yearly. Any of us that 'don't like him' for whatever reason would start liking him.

2) I don't want Jimbo anywhere near our program. He helped cover up a rape.....a RAPE. He play a rapist on his team to win a title. Again he played a RAPIST. The only thing that keeps him from being the most vile HC associated with college is the existence of Paterno and the PSU scandal. If we pursued and hired him I would be done with any support of UA in any shape, form, or fashion. Period.
I've said this before when the possibility of Dabo succeeding CNS wasn't nearly as popular among us: The biggest mistake we could probably make when trying to hire CNS's successor is trying to find someone "just like him." This mentality was detrimental to several of the coaches that followed Coach Bryant.

The idea of Dabo, while different in personality from CNS, is probably just the kind of person that will work best when the time comes. Now that he's broken into the elite level of coaches and program builders, AS LONG AS HE CONTINUES TO WIN GAMES AND CHALLENGE FOR THE SEC AND THE PLAYOFFS, those that don't like his personality will adjust and embrace him.

I personally like his excitement and I think it apparently resonates with recruits. CNS does it his way and Dabo does it his way and they both work.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010

agreed...if Saban left tomorrow i would expect the AD to be on the phone immediately to urban, dabo and jimbo in that order.

outside of Saban, i think they're the 3 best coaches in the college game who could also handle the pressure of the program.
Urban?!? NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010

While I'd like to see CNS stay as long as he wants while he has the program at this level, let's say he's willing to coach another 5-7 years. Looking at the current state of college football, who's probably going to be winning titles in that time? There's a good bet that CNS will challenge for at least a couple more during that time. I could certainly see Urban and Dabo being in the mix during that time. Maybe Jimbo. So who's the young coach that might rise up and get a title among these elite coaches? Outside of Harbough, Shaw, Franklin and maybe Kirby Smart or Jim McElwaine I just don't see a younger guy breaking thru unless it might be Lincoln Riley at OU, but I have my doubts.

Unless Smart or McElwain win a title, assuming Dabo keeps Clemson going strong who else is there to pick from if the first requierement is those who have won NCs?
Hopefully just us........ :cool2:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

Actually most Bama fans I know (real Bama fans at least) are arrogant all the time. Whether we're 15-0 or 4-8. We're normally pretty arrogant.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
for all of you dreamers looking to replace our legendary head coach prematurely all I can say is live in the moment because the next one ain't gonna live up - sorry

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
for all of you dreamers looking to replace our legendary head coach prematurely all I can say is live in the moment because the next one ain't gonna live up - sorry
LSU experienced it. They thought Saban had built the program up and all they'd have to do is hire a coach and it would rock right along. At first it seemed they were right. Slowly but surely look what happened. Saban is a once in a lifetime type coach. We've been lucky enough to have had two once in a lifetimer's.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.