Thoughts on Dabo, Clemson and the auburn game

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I've said this before when the possibility of Dabo succeeding CNS wasn't nearly as popular among us: The biggest mistake we could probably make when trying to hire CNS's successor is trying to find someone "just like him." This mentality was detrimental to several of the coaches that followed Coach Bryant.

The idea of Dabo, while different in personality from CNS, is probably just the kind of person that will work best when the time comes. Now that he's broken into the elite level of coaches and program builders, AS LONG AS HE CONTINUES TO WIN GAMES AND CHALLENGE FOR THE SEC AND THE PLAYOFFS, those that don't like his personality will adjust and embrace him.

I personally like his excitement and I think it apparently resonates with recruits. CNS does it his way and Dabo does it his way and they both work.
Completely agree. You aren't going to find a coach who can do Saban better than Saban. So, why bother looking for that? You have to find someone

for all of you dreamers looking to replace our legendary head coach prematurely all I can say is live in the moment because the next one ain't gonna live up - sorry
This is probably true. Honestly, this kind of discussion is partially my way of prepping myself for the inevitable. It's easier for me to brace for his departure by discussing it preemptively. Let's face it, while none of us know Saban's mind I think its more than fair to assume that he isn't going to coach another 10 years here. Is it possible? I guess but its not something I would ever count on.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Maybe it's just me, but it seems like a bunch of people are convinced Dabo would come if Bama offered - I'm not convinced he would leave Clemson.

At this point, it's not about money, as if he continues like he has over the last few years Clemson will match anything Bama offers. Yah, he played at Bama, but that doesn't always mean as much as we think to former players. Right now he's a god at Clemson, why would he want to follow up Saban, where the lofty expectations of Bama fans would be nearly impossible to maintain?

If Saban coaches for five or more years (which I believe he will), I suspect Dabo will be so embedded in Clemson we couldn't get him if we wanted. He has the chance to become Clemson's version of 'Bear Bryant', where if he comes to Bama, he'd have to win at a ridiculous level just to make the top five coaches of all time in Tuscaloosa...

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Maybe it's just me, but it seems like a bunch of people are convinced Dabo would come if Bama offered - I'm not convinced he would leave Clemson.

At this point, it's not about money, as if he continues like he has over the last few years Clemson will match anything Bama offers. Yah, he played at Bama, but that doesn't always mean as much as we think to former players. Right now he's a god at Clemson, why would he want to follow up Saban, where the lofty expectations of Bama fans would be nearly impossible to maintain?

If Saban coaches for five or more years (which I believe he will), I suspect Dabo will be so embedded in Clemson we couldn't get him if we wanted. He has the chance to become Clemson's version of 'Bear Bryant', where if he comes to Bama, he'd have to win at a ridiculous level just to make the top five coaches of all time in Tuscaloosa...
I think its more that he is the most likely option out of the current elite/upper tier coaches. But, I would be a little surprised if Dabo never coaches Bama. I'm not saying he will definitely replace Saban, in fact I doubt he will, but I would bet money on him coaching Bama at some point.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

If Saban coaches for five or more years (which I believe he will), I suspect Dabo will be so embedded in Clemson we couldn't get him if we wanted.

I don't think Dabo loves Bama as much as many people assume. I also believe he wouldn't leave Clemson for Bama if the job was offered to him. He's cutting his own path and forging his own legacy. Not following in someone else's. He has ZERO reason or incentive to come to Bama. He has no shadow looming over him at Clemson like he would at Bama. I would very surprised if he ended up at Bama.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

I do think there is a timer on Dabo. I'd put 5 years as the point in which Dabo kind of ages out of being a prime candidate for Alabama. I mean that both in that I think he'd grow more attached to his current situation, but also that he might not be a coach till he's 65 type of guy. So, is he going to uproot for just a few years at Alabama? Perhaps not.

Having said that, when he was asked he said he'd listen to Alabama. That's no small thing for a sitting head coach to say. He's from Alabama, he played for Alabama, he coached at Alabama, if there's a "mama called" type situation, it would be Alabama offering the job to Dabo. Part of the issue is how much success he has at Clemson. If he continues to have them in contention, but keeps falling short, well he'd both remain attracted to Alabama and have incentive to leave. The thing that will change this is if he starts struggling at Clemson or if he can rack up some titles. If he's a Clemson legend, that might be really hard to leave behind...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
If Saban coaches for five or more years (which I believe he will)...
2010-2011:
Al Golden
Will Muschamp
Brady Hoke

2011-2012:
Kevin Sumlin

2012-2013:
Sonny Dykes
Gus Malzahn

2013-2014:
Bob Diaco
Charlie Strong
Dave Clawson

2014-2015:
Chad Morris

These are just a few guys hired in recent years that many expected to do well or did well in year one but fizzled out. I know we as fans like to speculate these types of things, but Brad's comment is spot on. If Saban coaches for 5+ years (no sign that he won't), we have no clue who would be a good hire at that time.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
2010-2011:
Al Golden
Will Muschamp
Brady Hoke

2011-2012:
Kevin Sumlin

2012-2013:
Sonny Dykes
Gus Malzahn

2013-2014:
Bob Diaco
Charlie Strong
Dave Clawson

2014-2015:
Chad Morris

These are just a few guys hired in recent years that many expected to do well or did well in year one but fizzled out. I know we as fans like to speculate these types of things, but Brad's comment is spot on. If Saban coaches for 5+ years (no sign that he won't), we have no clue who would be a good hire at that time.
I agree with the notion that we really won't have an idea of what things will be like in 5 years, much like we can't really know how interested Dabo would be...

But, I will say this. You produced a list which had absolutely 0 coaches I was that impressed with on it. As a matter of fact, there's a few I repeatedly disparaged pretty much as soon as they got their big job. I get the point though, things change, but I think part of the point about someone like Dabo is not that many coaches reach a peak that high, and who ever they may be, it's going to be a really short list of guys with that level accomplishments.

The real risk is buying into the overhyped next big thing (when they really haven't done much), which is what your list is full of. That's the thing Alabama absolutely has to avoid doing.

JaxTider

Suspended
Jan 10, 2017
At one time or another Bama, Notre Dame, USC, Texas have proved that tradition and facilities are NOT enough, and that unless you hire a super competent coach and recruiter, you gonna go down. It is the arrogance and stupidity that leads to the mindset that "we will win because of who we are" that leads to taking chances on coaches who are not proven, but who might "fit" otherwise because they are photogenic, or one of Saban's boys or Bear's boy, or Irish, or whatever.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I don't think Dabo loves Bama as much as many people assume. I also believe he wouldn't leave Clemson for Bama if the job was offered to him. He's cutting his own path and forging his own legacy. Not following in someone else's. He has ZERO reason or incentive to come to Bama. He has no shadow looming over him at Clemson like he would at Bama. I would very surprised if he ended up at Bama.
Alabama fans are arrogant, assuming that any coach worth his salt would crawl to Tuscaloosa to be the HC. IMO these fans are as delusional as most auburn fans. I agree that Dabo more than likely is at Clemson for the long haul. Too much is made about the worn out phrase "Mama called". That may have been the case with CPB and coaches of that era, but do not believe this is the case any longer. The college football landscape has changed more rapidly than ever before, but a large portion of the Alabama fan base has not yet caught up.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Alabama fans are arrogant, assuming that any coach worth his salt would crawl to Tuscaloosa to be the HC. IMO these fans are as delusional as most auburn fans. I agree that Dabo more than likely is at Clemson for the long haul. Too much is made about the worn out phrase "Mama called".
Yes, Alabama fans are arrogant, but some of us have decent reading comprehension. Despite being from Alabama, playing for Alabama, and coaching for Alabama (the trifecta), I wasn't sure how Dabo would view the Alabama job. But read what he said in 2015, well on his way to his eventual meeting with Alabama:
"You don’t ever say never," the Swinney told CBSSports.com. "You don’t ever know what the circumstances would be at any given time. First of all, Alabama may never, ever call me and I would never have a problem with that. They’ve got to do what they’ve got to do. My deal is to be great where I’m at. I had opportunities to leave Alabama (where was a player and an assistant coach). I had opportunities to leave Clemson. But I’ve just never been that guy about the next job. I’m about the job I’ve got."

That does not sound like someone who wouldn't consider the job... Even the president of Clemson understands Alabama would probably want to talk to Dabo:
"If I'm the president of Alabama and I have an opening, guess who I'm calling? Dabo," Clements said. "So it's OK. …"

It is one thing to debate the merits of his hire, or if he'd come. It is another thing entirely to insinuate that it requires delusion to think Dabo would consider coaching in his home state, for his alma matter, where he got his start coaching, at what is probably the best job in college football...

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
Why so negative? I'm assuming that you're not one of the delusional fans, so feel free to enlighten us/me on all things Alabama. I think that we'll be able to land a fine coach after CNS leaves. Does anyone really ever want to follow a legend, no, they don't. But that certainly doesn't mean we shouldn't try to land a guy "worth his salt.".
Alabama fans are arrogant, assuming that any coach worth his salt would crawl to Tuscaloosa to be the HC. IMO these fans are as delusional as most auburn fans. I agree that Dabo more than likely is at Clemson for the long haul. Too much is made about the worn out phrase "Mama called". That may have been the case with CPB and coaches of that era, but do not believe this is the case any longer. The college football landscape has changed more rapidly than ever before, but a large portion of the Alabama fan base has not yet caught up.

im4uainva

All-SEC
Jul 3, 2011
Charlottesville, Va
Any time I start to feeling arrogant, I think back to when I was working in Memphis in the late 80's. Bama was coming to play Memphis State, oh boy! I ordered some tickets, asked three of my co-workers to attend the game with me, just to see how Bama played football...MSU 13, BAMA 10. I had to eat crow for that for a long time, and I had to work with a large number of people from around the South with ties to every University in the entire Southeast. So the reminders of my arrogance were obvious, and often. Also, I think we can all recall a little match with ULM about 11 Years ago. So, I use those as lessons to temper my 'arrogance' when it starts to pop it's ugly head up. I will admit, with the run Bama's having with CNS...it's sometimes a difficult task to handle.

Roll Tide!

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Yes, Alabama fans are arrogant, but some of us have decent reading comprehension. Despite being from Alabama, playing for Alabama, and coaching for Alabama (the trifecta), I wasn't sure how Dabo would view the Alabama job. But read what he said in 2015, well on his way to his eventual meeting with Alabama:
"You don’t ever say never," the Swinney told CBSSports.com. "You don’t ever know what the circumstances would be at any given time. First of all, Alabama may never, ever call me and I would never have a problem with that. They’ve got to do what they’ve got to do. My deal is to be great where I’m at. I had opportunities to leave Alabama (where was a player and an assistant coach). I had opportunities to leave Clemson. But I’ve just never been that guy about the next job. I’m about the job I’ve got."

That does not sound like someone who wouldn't consider the job... Even the president of Clemson understands Alabama would probably want to talk to Dabo:
"If I'm the president of Alabama and I have an opening, guess who I'm calling? Dabo," Clements said. "So it's OK. …"

It is one thing to debate the merits of his hire, or if he'd come. It is another thing entirely to insinuate that it requires delusion to think Dabo would consider coaching in his home state, for his alma matter, where he got his start coaching, at what is probably the best job in college football...
I stand corrected, KrAzY. I did not mean to imply all Alabama fans were delusional in their belief that Dabo would take the Alabama HC job if offered. My intent was to say that Dabo would not necessarily be a sure fire hire if and when Alabama would approach him to follow CNS.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

That's more of what I think. I really believe Dabo is very happy where he is and would rather be known as the best at a place that took a chance on him over coaching at his Alma matta where he would be chasing shadows. That's why I believe if CNS would leave in the next 4-5 years then the best name in college football that we probably get is a guy like Dan Mullen. Think about it...

Urban ain't going to Bama

Jimbo is toxic but I think he turns us down

Dabo would probably give it real serious thought but in the end I believe he chooses to stay at Clemson

So then you get to the guys that have been around that have been lifetime lower to mid tier programs and never coached big time programs. Basically the Peterson and Mullen kinda guys. I think Mullen would be the more likely out of the two to get offered and have serious interest.

After that it's the high risk up and comers, coordinators, and Mark Richts of the world.

Point is enjoy this while it lasts. Because the successor probably isn't going to live up to expectations.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Fans are arrogant? Maybe. But coaches are arrogant too!

If you are a good coach, you think you can win, almost anywhere. But when you combine a good coach with a blue-blood program like Alabama and you do that at a time when winning has been the norm, you'll believe you can be even better at Alabama. I think Alabama made NicK Saban a better coach.

So there will be a lot of coaches that would crawl on broken glass to take over CNS's program.

There's something enticing about coaching at a place like Alabama, Michigan, ND and places where history has been made (and continues in our case). Will that "appeal" to Dabo? Who knows. He might not even know right now.

But when that time comes we shouldn't sell ourselves short and think nobody could step in and be successful. If you think otherwise I give you two words: LES MILES

Last edited:

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I for one don't think Dabo would come just because he played here. I have no clue if Alabama would actually pursue him.

But I can say my perception of him as an Elite HC has changed. He's not a shiny new name/flash in the pan HC like a lot of people on that above list. He has tangible sustained success.

He's pretty much proved he can build a program and maintain it. There are only 3 teams currently that have won 10+ games 5 or more seasons in a row with at least 1 National Championship and/or 2 Playoff apperances....

Alabama, Ohio State, and Clemson.

He's put himself in a class with CNS and CUM....and just beat both back-to-back. Nobody will be able to duplicate what CNS has done here but Dabo is about a good a bet as any to keep things going 'relatively' near the same level. 10-Win quality teams etc. We wouldn't fall off a cliff or anything.

Yeah we would misguided to go after someone again just 'because they played here'.....but we would be equally misguided to rule Dabo out because of that. He's Elite and that's why we should at least have him at the top of a consideration/want list.

It's all hypothetical anyway. We're talking about a situation that's hopefully 4-5 years away at least.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
At one time or another Bama, Notre Dame, USC, Texas have proved that tradition and facilities are NOT enough, and that unless you hire a super competent coach and recruiter, you gonna go down. It is the arrogance and stupidity that leads to the mindset that "we will win because of who we are" that leads to taking chances on coaches who are not proven, but who might "fit" otherwise because they are photogenic, or one of Saban's boys or Bear's boy, or Irish, or whatever.
ND- has a serious problem with instate recruiting like Tennessee and Nebraska, and conference affiliation hurts. Basically they are a dinosaur program

Texas- their board of trustees get in their own way. I really believe their tradition and historical relevance is overhyped. Nebraska and Oklahoma are far and away superior in both regards but Texas crams revisionist bull crap down everyone's throats.

USC- they are coming off a bad probation and two moron head coaches (Kiffin and Sark). So give it time.

I think Bama is rather safe in that they are capable of being a standing power, but probably not as dominant when CNS leaves. Even when the BOTs got in their own way after CPB stepped down each and every coach has had a 10 win season. Let that sink in... Mike Shula and Dubose had 10 win seasons. We have had several SEC titles and 1 NC in the time between CPB and CNS.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
That's more of what I think. I really believe Dabo is very happy where he is and would rather be known as the best at a place that took a chance on him over coaching at his Alma matta where he would be chasing shadows. That's why I believe if CNS would leave in the next 4-5 years then the best name in college football that we probably get is a guy like Dan Mullen. Think about it...

Urban ain't going to Bama

Jimbo is toxic but I think he turns us down

Dabo would probably give it real serious thought but in the end I believe he chooses to stay at Clemson

So then you get to the guys that have been around that have been lifetime lower to mid tier programs and never coached big time programs. Basically the Peterson and Mullen kinda guys. I think Mullen would be the more likely out of the two to get offered and have serious interest.

After that it's the high risk up and comers, coordinators, and Mark Richts of the world.

Point is enjoy this while it lasts. Because the successor probably isn't going to live up to expectations.

I would argue that the best available coach right now is currently out of coaching--Bob Stoops.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.