Thoughts on Dabo, Clemson and the auburn game

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The best available coach right now is Bob Stoops.
I think he would have as much interest in the job as Urban. The difference is if CNS retired today then Urban becomes the best coach in the country and it's expected that he gets a phone call from anyone serious in winning. Bob falls into that Mark Richt and Les Miles category in that he is a 3-4 year solution. IMO

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I think he would have as much interest in the job as Urban. The difference is if CNS retired today then Urban becomes the best coach in the country and it's expected that he gets a phone call from anyone serious in winning. Bob falls into that Mark Richt and Les Miles category in that he is a 3-4 year solution. IMO
You could be right about the interest. UM would be a nonstarter for a variety of reasons. On Stoops--how would he only be a 4-5 year coach when he is only in his 50s? Stoops is only 57.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
You could be right about the interest. UM would be a nonstarter for a variety of reasons. On Stoops--how would he only be a 4-5 year coach when he is only in his 50s? Stoops is only 57.

At Oklahoma he won a title very early in his career and he owned Texas. He played a very weak conference. Bob has a tendency to underachieve, and seems to lost his killer edge. I think after maybe 1 championship and when CNS's recruits run out then Bob retires. I just see Bob Stoops as a guy that wants to ride in the sunset instead of making a serious run at another team.

dadleyblane5

All-SEC
Apr 19, 2011
DeFuniak Springs Fl.
Y'all quit speculating on who replaces Saban. We'll have him another 20-25 years... He'll be on the sidelines with his cane slapping rear ends with it when he's pi**ed about something they didn't do correctly.:wink:

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
There should be a committee of one to choose Coach Saban's replacement: Nick Saban. I would ask him. Whoever he chose, I'd hire them the very next day.

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
I do not think Coach Saban will be here five more years. Some posted on here that we needed to replace him with Daboll (and he had not even coached a game yet). Dabo would be an option to talk to. So would Pruitt. We will find a good coach, but it may be the guy who follows the guy.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I think we could hire just about any coach and win another NC or two just based off what CNS has built here. Similar to what he left at LSU. Les Miles is not a great coach but he won 1 and should've won more NCs based on what Saban left/built there. The problem is I don't think we're going to find a coach who will sustain success like Saban - well, duh, because Saban is on the most legendary run in the history of college football. With that being said I guess my expectations are somewhat tempered for the next coach. My expectation is that when Saban retires we should be able to win a few more SECCG's and NCs in the following 4-5 years and then the program will probably start to drop off some..

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
That's more of what I think. I really believe Dabo is very happy where he is and would rather be known as the best at a place that took a chance on him over coaching at his Alma matta where he would be chasing shadows. That's why I believe if CNS would leave in the next 4-5 years then the best name in college football that we probably get is a guy like Dan Mullen. Think about it...

Urban ain't going to Bama

Jimbo is toxic but I think he turns us down

Dabo would probably give it real serious thought but in the end I believe he chooses to stay at Clemson

So then you get to the guys that have been around that have been lifetime lower to mid tier programs and never coached big time programs. Basically the Peterson and Mullen kinda guys. I think Mullen would be the more likely out of the two to get offered and have serious interest.

After that it's the high risk up and comers, coordinators, and Mark Richts of the world.

Point is enjoy this while it lasts. Because the successor probably isn't going to live up to expectations.
While I think we will not have to answer this question for another 10 years, if Mullen is still at Miss. St. At that time and still doing what he's doing then I love the idea. He does not have the national championships as others on this list but he has been coaching at Miss. St. No one contends for championships there.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I would argue that the best available coach right now is currently out of coaching--Bob Stoops.
He is still involved at Oklahoma. I think there is some expectation that he intends to stay involved there.

There should be a committee of one to choose Coach Saban's replacement: Nick Saban. I would ask him. Whoever he chose, I'd hire them the very next day.
See, I just wouldn't do this. His opinion is important but I wouldn't hire someone just because Saban says so.

While I think we will not have to answer this question for another 10 years, if Mullen is still at Miss. St. At that time and still doing what he's doing then I love the idea. He does not have the national championships as others on this list but he has been coaching at Miss. St. No one contends for championships there.
I actually like the Mullen idea. He's really underrated.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Yet if you ask the question " if he had been Urban's successor where would Florida be right now with the likes of Dak and Fitzgerald right now?" You really start to get into an interesting conversation. Mullen either passed or was passed by Foley twice when he was probably the best candidate available both times. Keep in mind both know each other so there could be some serious bad blood there. Mullen will make a major move within the next 5 years or will be MSU's coach until someone comes crawling to him with pockets that MSU can't compete with.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
Just a reminder that HDN is who Saban recommended LSU hire when he left...
Saban is much older and wiser now than he was back then. I think he would make a good choice if the decision was delegetaed to him. I do not think he will have the decision delegated to him, nor do I think he will try to insist the AD listen to him about his opinion.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Sure, Saban is older and wiser, but just as five years ago everyone thought Sumlin was the Next Great Hire, no one can see the future.

The point is that yes, I'm all for CNS weighing in on the decision, but he's not infallible.

I've long believed CNS will eventually 'retire' to a specially created 'Director of Football Athletics' position where he could groom his replacement. He can still be involved with the team, which is what drives him, without the daily grind. If that were to happen, I'd expect us to hire more of an 'up and comer'.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I believe you're speaking of a Barry Alverez sort of deal but instead of a true AD, he is really just the GM for the football team.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.