Thoughts on Dabo, Clemson and the auburn game

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Can't remember if Saban recommended him or not, but Bobby Williams was promoted from Assist HC to replace Saban at Michigan State.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Needless to say, Saban's past judgement on his replacement doesn't seem to be sound. I'd like it better if he was around as a mentor for his replacement choice. If not, we should probably just hire someone outside the program that is up and coming.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I'm having a really hard time believing that if Alabama asks Dabo to take the job that he would not do so enthusiastically. Now, maybe not if we're talking a decade down the road. But in the next 5 years?

Clemson is great and he's done very well there. He's very well paid, he's got a great recruiting base all around him, and Clemson has a great fan base that fills the stadium every home game and travels well. There is not really a downside to staying at Clemson, that's for certain. But the man played at Alabama, and was a kid when Coach Bryant was still coaching. I don't have a doubt he would take the job if asked, again assuming it's not 10 years from now or Heaven forbid we have screwed ourselves up with the ncaa.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
Sure, Saban is older and wiser, but just as five years ago everyone thought Sumlin was the Next Great Hire, no one can see the future.

The point is that yes, I'm all for CNS weighing in on the decision, but he's not infallible.

I've long believed CNS will eventually 'retire' to a specially created 'Director of Football Athletics' position where he could groom his replacement. He can still be involved with the team, which is what drives him, without the daily grind. If that were to happen, I'd expect us to hire more of an 'up and comer'.
I cannot imagine Saban working a job that he did not give 110%. Hard to imagine him being in a hands off position.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I'm having a really hard time believing that if Alabama asks Dabo to take the job that he would not do so enthusiastically. Now, maybe not if we're talking a decade down the road. But in the next 5 years?

Clemson is great and he's done very well there. He's very well paid, he's got a great recruiting base all around him, and Clemson has a great fan base that fills the stadium every home game and travels well. There is not really a downside to staying at Clemson, that's for certain. But the man played at Alabama, and was a kid when Coach Bryant was still coaching. I don't have a doubt he would take the job if asked, again assuming it's not 10 years from now or Heaven forbid we have screwed ourselves up with the ncaa.
The man has been there over a decade and turned down opportunities to return when it seemed like position coach/recruiter was his station in life. Good chance he's laid down roots there and it is as much of a home to him as B-ham/Tuscaloosa ever was...especially now that he's the victorious general being paraded around town.

I'm not saying he'd say no but it is something...

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
The man has been there over a decade and turned down opportunities to return when it seemed like position coach/recruiter was his station in life. Good chance he's laid down roots there and it is as much of a home to him as B-ham/Tuscaloosa ever was...especially now that he's the victorious general being paraded around town.

I'm not saying he'd say no but it is something...
I don't disagree that it is something to overcome. And if Alabama isn't in tip top shape, then he's definitely going to stay there. Maybe the prospect of replacing Nick Saban isn't something he would want to take on either. Like I said, he's got a great setup where he is at, and there is no downside to staying, and yes he's got roots there now.

But growing up in this state, with Coach Bryant, and then playing here.... And then Nick Saban retires and Alabama's on top of the world... I think we're selling the pull of that too short. Alabama circa 2002 isn't really that much to come home to. Mike freaking Riley turned us down. But Alabama circa 2022? That's a whole 'nother animal.

We'll see. And honestly, I'm not his biggest fan. Earle's comments earlier have given me some pause on those thoughts, however. My hope is that Nick Saban is here for a decade more, and we are able to get the best candidate at that time, whoever he may be.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I happen to think finding a 2004 Urban Meyer should be our goal. Go outside the program and get someone hungry and competent that hasn't gotten fat and happy off running a program that is partially self-sustaining.

G-VilleTider

Suspended
Aug 17, 2006
I happen to think finding a 2004 Urban Meyer should be our goal. Go outside the program and get someone hungry and competent that hasn't gotten fat and happy off running a program that is partially self-sustaining.
I prefer we find a 2007 CNS ;)

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Since this has become the, who might replace Saban thread, I thought it was worthwhile to look back at some of the "great" coaches of the past. Some tarnished over time...

I think Spurrier and Bowden made it into the clubhouse as elite coaches, Bobby just got too old, and even at Spurrier won a lot of games at South Carolina, not exactly a football power. Pete Carrol really solidified his greatness in my mind when he abandons USC, but then wins a Super Bowl. I don't think he left any question that he was an elite coach.

But, there have been plenty of coaches that seemed to be among the very best who kind of fell back down to earth. Personally, I kind of put Bob Stoops in that category. Oklahoma is an elite program, and while he had success, I don't think he made people forget Barry Switzer or Bud Wilkinson. He just seemed to peak early, and before he retired I didn't put up there with Saban and Meyer. I think his coaching career looked more like Les Miles when it was all said and done, and remember Les Miles once was 50/50 against Nick Saban with a big title come coming up. Les is certainly another one that lost his luster. Same goes for Mack Brown, up until he ran into Nick Saban, he was having a heck of a career. Though I'd probably take Miles and Stoops ahead of Brown, I put all on the same basic tier of being good but not among the greatest.

Then there's a guy like Brian Kelly. While I saw Sumlin and Gus as gimmick coaches, Brian Kelly sure did seem like he was on the right track. Good success as Cincy, seemed to have turned Notre Dame around when he got them into the title game, and he's been stuck in the mud ever since. Mark Richt is another one that seemed like he was on the right track early, but he never could get over the hump (Nick Saban helped with that). Another one that seemed to be on the right track before he imploded, would be Bobby Petrino. He might not be on his last act though, he's had success at all his stops. I suppose one common theme here would be Nick Saban. He prevented Miles, Brown, and Kelly from winning titles and in doing so altered their trajectory.

In terms of the best out of work coach, I'd actually put Chip Kelly over Bob Stoops. Now, I hate his offense, I do, but he is basically the gimmick offense guy. He goes 46-7 at Oregon, even has some NFL success before things took a dramatic turn south. I'm not saying I want him at Alabama, someone like Dabo seems far safer, but give him a good DC and a school that recruits well and he's going to win some games.

The problem is that's also how you get a Charlie Strong. I agree with the 2007 Saban over the 2004 Meyer thing. I do get the attraction of a younger guy though, Clemson and FSU got their men through promotion, at one time Saban and Meyer were just guys who had won at a lower level. But we can name a long list of guys who did great at a lower level and never did that at a higher level, heck isn't that what happened with Alabama basketball? Got the shiniest young coach in Anthony Grant, and it turns out he has major issues winning at a higher level.

So, to me, you take a shot at someone that appears to be on a good trajectory, the simple truth is more often than not you'll miss. Ohio State knew what they were doing when they hired Urban Meyer, Alabama knew what they were doing when they hired Saban. That's the safest way to do it, find someone that's already been there and he'll probably know how to get there again.

Last edited:

JaxTider

Suspended
Jan 10, 2017
Sounds easier than it is. I'm more comfortable going for a surer thing. It is, after all, one of the best jobs in America.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Does "Big Game Bob" retire for a year or so and patiently wait to see what happens at Florida? Or possibly Notre Dame?
Possibly. Contrary to what he has said publicly and CW, I DO think Bob would at least consider re-entering coaching IF one of a very small, select group of jobs came open and they approached him with a lucrative deal and the timing was right.

Last edited:

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Possibly. Contrary to what he has said publicly and CW, I DO think Bob would at least consider re-entering coaching IF one of a very small, select group of jobs came open and they approached him with a lucrative deal and the timing was right.
I'd be surprised if he gets back into coaching. He's still around the game as his brother is a coordinator and it looks like he's still travelling with the Oklahoma team at times. He was making good money (around $5M IIRC) at Oklahoma so I don't think money will be a motivator for him. Could be wrong but I'd be surprised to see him back coaching..

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
Didnt CNS sign a new contract so he will be here till at least 2022. Thats 6 more years. I maybe wrong on the extension date. I guess it fun to speculate. But I am happy with what we have now and will just enjoy it.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
If he got back into coaching it wouldn't be at a fish bowl program like Bama or Ohio St. His father died of a heart attack at a relatively young age (54) and this has been something that has been on Stoops' mind for many, many years. Hence his retirement from OU at 52. So that is on the forefront of his mind. If it stays on the forefront of his mind why in the world would he go to a school where the moment you ink your name the stress begins? I just don't see it. But I've been wrong many, many times before.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
If he got back into coaching it wouldn't be at a fish bowl program like Bama or Ohio St. His father died of a heart attack at a relatively young age (54) and this has been something that has been on Stoops' mind for many, many years. Hence his retirement from OU at 52. So that is on the forefront of his mind. If it stays on the forefront of his mind why in the world would he go to a school where the moment you ink your name the stress begins? I just don't see it. But I've been wrong many, many times before.
It sounds like he means it too, unlike Coach Urban Myer who stepped away for "health concerns".

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Yah, I know most coaches are good at saying one thing while meaning something else, but I get the feeling Stoops might really be done.
I agree and, if he would even take on the SEC, I doubt his effectiveness. He has a pretty decent record against B12 opponents, but in bowl games, he's an even .500. That's nothing to brag about. It seems to say that, when he gets outside his conference, he gets exposed...

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
I agree and, if he would even take on the SEC, I doubt his effectiveness. He has a pretty decent record against B12 opponents, but in bowl games, he's an even .500. That's nothing to brag about. It seems to say that, when he gets outside his conference, he gets exposed...
Ironic a defensive coordinator who helped Darth Visor get his championship owned an offense happy conference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.