Need help getting ants out of car

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Step 1: Spray some EZ Cheese on the floorboard

Step 2: Wait for ants to flock to it

Step 3: Light them all on fire

This may be less effective than other methods, but it is for sure the most fun... ;)

G-VilleTider

Suspended
Aug 17, 2006
IDK why, but some ants are attracted to current. I couple of times, I've had a wall switch go out and pulled the plate to discover a ball of ants shorting it out...
This happened to the AC unit of a house we were renting. Three times in 6 months, ants got into the HVAC unit and shorted something out. This despite heavy pesticide use. I commented to the heating and air guys that this must be a crazy call to have ants screw something up 3 times in just 6 months. They told me it was actually quite common and usually happened around switches(?) where the current is only flowing when the unit is on. For some reason, the ants kept making a trail in between the "dead" connection, then the unit would come on and fry them. When the unit turned off, the ants would resume. Eventually the buildup of dead ants would either block the connection or screw something else up.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
This happened to the AC unit of a house we were renting. Three times in 6 months, ants got into the HVAC unit and shorted something out. This despite heavy pesticide use. I commented to the heating and air guys that this must be a crazy call to have ants screw something up 3 times in just 6 months. They told me it was actually quite common and usually happened around switches(?) where the current is only flowing when the unit is on. For some reason, the ants kept making a trail in between the "dead" connection, then the unit would come on and fry them. When the unit turned off, the ants would resume. Eventually the buildup of dead ants would either block the connection or screw something else up.
The last time it happened to me, the buildup inside the switch just finally got so great the ants' bodies just insulated the common and the hot and wouldn't let a circuit be completed. The first thing I noticed, even before the switch stopped working, was that the switch started feeling sort of funky when turning it off and on...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I meant to post earlier but I want to confirm Earle's solution to the ants worked.
We've never known it to fail. We use it mostly in the house, but there's no reason it wouldn't work in a car. After all, they always have a nest somewhere to take the poison back to...

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
Get some boric acid and mix it about 1 part to 6 parts sugar, dissolved in water. Use something like an old pickle jar. Get some cotton balls and dip in the solution. Take a margarine tub - 2 from what you describe - and punch holes around the bottom for ant access. Place in their trail(s) inside the car. You can accelerate things a bit by taking damp sugar with your finger and smear on the holes, so they'll investigate sooner. They'll enter, snip off pieces of the poisoned cotton and take it back to their nest, wherever it may be, and poison the other ants and the queen. It'll take a few days, but they'll be gone. (BTW, this works in houses also.)
I'm going to save this for future reference. Glad it worked and thanks for the sage advice Earl!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.