Need help getting ants out of car

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
I have ants in my car and can't figure out where they are coming from. Afraid to just randomly spray insecticide because of the smell and possibility of taking the paint off.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Ant eater?:biggrin: Ants follow a trail left by other ants. If they are coming from outside the car watch for a train of ants and break the trail with some bug spray
I've had good luck with this company. Love the name---Pest Mall. Visions of thousands of shopping insects.

http://www.pestmall.com/ant-control-products/

Clean out your car.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
Car is generally clean. We've vacuumed it 3 times since this started last Tuesday. I cannot find a trail in the garage, my wife seems to think they entered the car in the parking deck at her work.
I have seen them come out from under molding on top of the car, been running along side the bottom of a door, and this morning they came out from where the mirror adjoins the car. I saw them runnin around the battery yesterday. We've cleaned the car and waxed it to kill any trails they may have made. When they show up, it's only a couple dozen at a time.
Ant eater?:biggrin: Ants follow a trail left by other ants. If they are coming from outside the car watch for a train of ants and break the trail with some bug spray
I've had good luck with this company. Love the name---Pest Mall. Visions of thousands of shopping insects.

http://www.pestmall.com/ant-control-products/

Clean out your car.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Get some boric acid and mix it about 1 part to 6 parts sugar, dissolved in water. Use something like an old pickle jar. Get some cotton balls and dip in the solution. Take a margarine tub - 2 from what you describe - and punch holes around the bottom for ant access. Place in their trail(s) inside the car. You can accelerate things a bit by taking damp sugar with your finger and smear on the holes, so they'll investigate sooner. They'll enter, snip off pieces of the poisoned cotton and take it back to their nest, wherever it may be, and poison the other ants and the queen. It'll take a few days, but they'll be gone. (BTW, this works in houses also.)

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
Thank you for the tips. Part of my problem is that there are no trails. I know ants generally do this and you can find their source that way. They just randomly pop up on me which is frustrating.
There has only been a few here and there inside the cabin but it's outside where they come out of crevices.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Thank you for the tips. Part of my problem is that there are no trails. I know ants generally do this and you can find their source that way. They just randomly pop up on me which is frustrating.
There has only been a few here and there inside the cabin but it's outside where they come out of crevices.
Put the traps I described wherever the ants are. They will find them...

Bamafaninco1

All-SEC
May 14, 2011
Colorado Springs, CO via Cullman, Al
The Queen has set up shop in your car, good luck. You can always pour gasoline on them and see what happens.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
My son has had the same issue. I think maybe they are avoiding the wet ground. For some reason they are attracted to electronic's.
IDK why, but some ants are attracted to current. I couple of times, I've had a wall switch go out and pulled the plate to discover a ball of ants shorting it out...

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
IDK why, but some ants are attracted to current. I couple of times, I've had a wall switch go out and pulled the plate to discover a ball of ants shorting it out...
Electrical appliances and boxes are usually safe and dry. One theory is that they die or are otherwise stressed by the electrical current, causing them to release alarm pheromones, drawing other ants to the location.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.