Day trip side tracked yesterday: assisted cyclist who was a hit-and-run victim

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
So, I took the family and one of my daughter's friends out of town for some river tubing. About 30 minutes on the road my wife witnessed an accident about a mile ahead of us. (I saw the tail end of the event.) An SUV clipped a cyclist and sent him tumbling into the grass. The SUV kept going. We were the second car to stop and tend to the guy. He had broken his leg and had some mean road rash. My wife always has a medical kit with her and tended to the guy until the ambulance and police arrived. We were too far away to get a plate number, but the driver that stopped before us was confident they got a partial number. Hopefully, the jackarse is caught. The cyclist is lucky he wasn't hurt worse or killed.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Good for you on stopping. It seems a lot of people don't and even blame the cyclist for "being in the way". I hope the cops find the jerk that caused it. I believe leaving the scene of an accident comes with jail time.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I agree with everything written. I would like to add something though.

If a cyclist wants to share the road, he/she must maintain a minimum speed....or they get a ticket. I've seen too many winding roads with a cyclist going 15 mph on a 45-55 mph road with 15 cars waiting, all going 15. It creates a very hazardous situation. Or don't cycle on roads with 35 mph or higher speed limits. Especially if there is nowhere to pass

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

If a cyclist wants to share the road, he/she must maintain a minimum speed....or they get a ticket. I've seen too many winding roads with a cyclist going 15 mph on a 45-55 mph road with 15 cars waiting, all going 15. It creates a very hazardous situation. Or don't cycle on roads with 35 mph or higher speed limits. Especially if there is nowhere to pass
I will never understand why some guys get on any winding road. There are plenty of roads that are straight shots. I typically stay away from curvy winding roads and try to stay away from roads with 55 mph speed limits. It is just asking for trouble. There are people out there that almost aim for cyclists.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
I will never understand why some guys get on any winding road. There are plenty of roads that are straight shots. I typically stay away from curvy winding roads and try to stay away from roads with 55 mph speed limits. It is just asking for trouble. There are people out there that almost aim for cyclists.
Go out to California wine country. It's pure cyclist insanity out there. Roads are super curvy. Blind corners everywhere. Add on that most of the people on the roads are probably a few drinks into the day.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL

I rounded a curve on the Cahaba River Road end of Colonnade Parkway while commuting to the office, and lo and behold, there was a pedestrian casually walking in the road. I slammed on the brakes and fortunately did not hit him.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Good for you and Mrs. Bodhi. Last week I was coming home and started up this rather steep grade and glanced to my left and saw an older guy kneeling down on the sidewalk. At the next street I turned stopped my car and walked (about 30 yards) to check on him. He said he was walking home and knelt down because he could not catch his breath. I helped him up and got him in the car and turned up the A/C. I drove him home and we sat there for a few minutes for him to cool off and catch his breath. No big deal, but the effects of heat can be deadly especially on older folks.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Go out to California wine country. It's pure cyclist insanity out there. Roads are super curvy. Blind corners everywhere. Add on that most of the people on the roads are probably a few drinks into the day.
the canyon roads going up the front range from denver, golden, bolder, longmont, foco, etc. are horrible

alabama mike1

All-American
Jul 12, 2013
Ohio
Thank you for being a decent human being! It is nice to know that some people care about their fellow human beings.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Had an incident a few weeks ago here locally where a cyclist got hit on a bike. Can't remember if it was fatal or not to be honest. It created a nice little local social media pillow fight on FB in the comments section of the local news outlet that posted the online story. There is a small group of cyclists who (in protest) are supposedly going to begin taking up the entire lane and not moving when automobiles approach them from behind. I laughed when I read that because that's been the biggest issue with cyclists in our area for years. Louisiana law (regarding cyclists) states that they have the same rights as a motorized vehicle. However, they are required to make a reasonable effort to move to the far right of the lane in which they travel, allowing all motorized vehicles the room to pass without having to cross lanes. Here is where the problem has been around here. When quoting the law these cyclists routinely and conveniently leave the second component of that law out.

These weekend warriors, Tour De France wannabes, get together in big groups and take up the entire lane for literally miles upon miles at a time in their fake sponsorship patched spandex. They impede the flow of traffic and refuse to make any form of "reasonable effort" to get over and allow motor vehicles to safely pass. Just last week I was taking my daughter to violin practice and low and behold we approach about 20 cyclists traveling in a group on a rural road taking up the entire lane. I slowed my vehicle down allowing for someone in the group to notice and signal to the rest of the group to move over. Didn't happen. So I lightly tapped my horn to let them know someone was behind needing to get by. There were solid double yellow lines for several miles so I couldn't legally pass. Not a one of those dbags moved. I wanted to get my phone out and video to send in to sheriff's station. But I was driving and my daughter was in the back seat. I didn't want to put us in an unsafe situation just trying to video someone else breaking the law. It drives me nuts.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
The cyclists in my hood are notorious for running stop signs and red lights or pulling up on the right side of a car which is already in the right lane. One day one of those dudes is going to get run over, and I hate to say deservedly so, but....

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.