Florida Suspends 7 for the Opener

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Colby.....what they did was not credit card fraud in the conventional manner. As student athletes, they were issued credit cards for their own use and for only certain things. They instead used their cards to buy other stuff (electronics from what I understand) and then sell them and keep the money. Supposedly that is something called "theft by conversion". To call it "credit card fraud" is not really accurate...although as far as I'm concerned....they deserve whatever tarnished rep their receive. What they did was not only stupid but they let their teammates down...the Gator football staff down...their friends down...their fans down.....the university down.......but more importantly....their let their family down.

Very disappointing.....but I'm glad they will sit the first game.
Not that it addresses the character issue, but how can a campus book store let football players buy inappropriate merchandise using a student athlete scholarship card. I mean, the Athletic Department ought to kick the sales staff's backside for letting this sale go through. Whip out said credit card and the card holder is buying electronic merchandise? "No, sir. Sorry. You can't buy that stuff with this card."

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I still think UF beats Michigan - only two of the UF players are starters and UM lost something like 22 starters off last year's team (ever single defensive player, iirc)...

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
FWIW in no way am I sticking up for these student-athletes.

If the PTB decided to kick them off the team then so be it. I enjoy seeing opportunities open up for other players....especially if they are good kids!

I'm sick and tired of seeing us in the news with players breaking the rules.

It's gotten much better since Coach Mac arrived but not good enough for me - or Coach Mac, I'm sure.

Also, I agree with Tidewater about the sales staff selling them stuff on that card that is not on an approval list. The only explanation I can think of is the sales staff probably weren't aware of what could or could not be purchased with the cards.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Also, I agree with Tidewater about the sales staff selling them stuff on that card that is not on an approval list. The only explanation I can think of is the sales staff probably weren't aware of what could or could not be purchased with the cards.
Are we sure that the cards are visibly different than any other credit card?

This sort of thing happens all the time. Kids use their scholly benefits to trade for something more valuable to them. If the school catches them and shuts it down immediately, the consequences are generally pretty minor. If the school catches them and ignores them, or takes too long to catch them, then the penalties can really stack up.

Calloway is a real game changer. His loss will hurt the Gators against UM. Not sure if the other guys were going to get much playing time in the game. Maybe Bazza can enlighten us on that front.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I'm hearing they reported the cards as stolen. That would be the fraud.
That's how one report goes...

Several Florida football players are dealing with internal punishment over the misuse of school funds, per sources with knowledge of the situation.

The players, who include freshmen, sophomores and soon-to-be NFL Draft picks, were disciplined by the school — including football coach Jim McElwain — having allegedly misused Student Aid debit cards.

The players were alleged to have to taken part in a scheme that saw them purchase electronic products with school-issued debit cards before selling them for cash. While this practice is not uncommon in college football, the Gators’ players then went to university officials to report their cards stolen, triggering a school investigation into possible credit card fraud. After investigation officials deemed the cards were not stolen and looked into the purchases, they found the players at fault for misusing funds given to them.
PitMaster, pretty sure Zaire wasn't included. The link I posted as backstory is the only place I've seen him included.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
How in the hell are they only getting one game? Can we have our vacated wins back please? What a joke...
Not so sound snarky (because I AGREE with your basic points here) but......the simple fact for better or worse is that Florida was NOT in the repeat violator window for a major probation and we were.

That's why we got hit harder on this than it appears UF will.

I've seen a very similar thing happen in the military with their mandated credit card, which is why I never had one even when they were trying to tell me "you gotta have this." You'll get some 19-year old who gets sent to his first PCS assignment and given that card to get from point A to point B. In the process, he buys a TV and pays it off immediately when his big lump pay comes in afterwards.

Then he gets hauled in for "credit card fraud" and in many if not most cases back in the day it was a general discharge IF YOU WERE LUCKY. They really hit on it and court-martialed folks. And every one of them was told before they did this (esp as the cases piled up) NOT to buy anything you weren't CERTAIN was okay. And sometimes that can be harder to know than you realize, I just gave what might be called obvious. A lot of these folks are thinking, "Hey, I paid it off, no charge to anyone" but there's more to it than that.

I saw a lot of good folks lose their careers over stuff as simple as that.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Are we sure that the cards are visibly different than any other credit card?

This sort of thing happens all the time. Kids use their scholly benefits to trade for something more valuable to them. If the school catches them and shuts it down immediately, the consequences are generally pretty minor. If the school catches them and ignores them, or takes too long to catch them, then the penalties can really stack up.

Callaway is a real game changer. His loss will hurt the Gators against UM. Not sure if the other guys were going to get much playing time in the game. Maybe Bazza can enlighten us on that front.
Good point about the cards, B1G.

As far as what will happen against Michigan.....like I said...we are loaded on offense this year. One of my favourite wide receivers is Tyrie Cleveland and you can see what he says in this article: CLICK for more info on our offensive weaponry.

I think the big question that still remains is what we are doing at QB. We have more depth and overall talent at that position this season than I can remember us having for many previous seasons so that's a very good situation. But it doesn't mean we have a bonifide starter and it doesn't mean whoever starts will get the job done so a big question mark, IMHO.

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
Calloway has been suspended for 10 games - wait, I mean he has been suspended 10 times now for 1 game each

Seriously, how is this guy still at UF? He deserves the honor of wearing Aaron Hernandez's old number

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Calloway has been suspended for 10 games - wait, I mean he has been suspended 10 times now for 1 game each

Seriously, how is this guy still at UF? He deserves the honor of wearing Aaron Hernandez's old number
I would not go that far. Calloway hasn't murdered anyone that we know of.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

I'll be more concerned if he wears Hernandez's new number....W106228......

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
Yeah, I'm thinking the "sales staff" probably consisted of summer school students working part time or on some sort of work-study deal. Scan the bar codes, say "swipe your card", yawn, put stuff in bag, hand them the receipt, check out the next customer, repeat till shift ends.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
That's how one report goes...

PitMaster, pretty sure Zaire wasn't included. The link I posted as backstory is the only place I've seen him included.
So they knew what they were doing was wrong, not just accidently using the wrong card..... Also says a scheme.... Like they weren't there only ones... Who thought up there scheme? Are they still investigating? This is how it started in Tuscaloosa, wanna bet UF quits while they are ahead, before they lose their rear ends off like we did?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.