Plain Trouble on "Da Plains" (all AU posts here)

IM4UA

1st Team
Aug 10, 2003
Alabaster, AL, US
Re: Plain Trouble on "Da Plains" (all AU posts here)

You know the Goobers could never take advantage of Bama going through the dark ages. Somehow they managed to blow it on the grand scale. True they had a winning streak against us but they did not take over college football. They blew it.
For sure. It’s a program and fan base that places a win over Alabama above winning a championship. The mindset is bizarre, yet it exists. Their head coaches even obtain more contract negotiating power with an Alabama win than with a championship win/appearance. Odd priorities.

theshow4jsu_13

3rd Team
Apr 13, 2007
Birmingham, AL
www.myspace.com
I agree that Gus is not very smart when it comes to leadership. Honestly, he is a poor leader. That is obvious and I knew that in his second year when things started going "not his way."

Today he parroted the "we have to improve" and "we have to get better" while saying "we are going to finish strong." So, basically he is saying the same thing he said before the Tennessee debacle, but today he added "Championship hopes are gone but we are playing for each other and the fans."
Champions of Life 2.0

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
If they drop this game Saturday, things will go down hill real fast there. And I'm not going to be surprised if some of the PTB begin to pressure Greene to start a conversation with Sexton about a negotiated buyout.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
If they drop this game Saturday, things will go down hill real fast there. And I'm not going to be surprised if some of the PTB begin to pressure Greene to start a conversation with Sexton about a negotiated buyout.
You mean one different than the one they negotiated a few months ago??? :biggrin2:

techster79

All-American
Oct 20, 2014
Deatsville, Al
I heard on Finebaum that the buyout will be 15 million in a few weeks and they can pay that out over years so the sticker shock may not be an issue that much longer. It also sounded like they could go after Troy's coach. I think they should keep Gus till Saban retires. Who are they going to get to put up with the PTB and be in Saban's backyard?

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
I heard on Finebaum that the buyout will be 15 million in a few weeks and they can pay that out over years so the sticker shock may not be an issue that much longer. It also sounded like they could go after Troy's coach. I think they should keep Gus till Saban retires. Who are they going to get to put up with the PTB and be in Saban's backyard?
Neal Brown is actually a terrific young coach and one that would make a lot of sense considering he's right down the road in Auburn Jr. (Troy).

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

For sure. It’s a program and fan base that places a win over Alabama above winning a championship. The mindset is bizarre, yet it exists. Their head coaches even obtain more contract negotiating power with an Alabama win than with a championship win/appearance. Odd priorities.
Hasn`t it always been that way? My Auburn buddies ( practically all my high school friends/team mates who went to college went to Auburn ) would never openly admit it. I think as much as anything they look at it as a social strata thing, the Auburn people being down home, working class " fambly " types vs. the snooty, elitist, upper crust, society driven snobs. I do admit, I tread a little lightly during these times that are hard on them. In all honesty, I value those friendships far more than some relatively silly college rivalry. Plus, I`ve always felt that the only thing worse than a whiny loser is a poor winner. As Coach used to say, " Act like you`ve been there before ".

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

For sure. It’s a program and fan base that places a win over Alabama above winning a championship. The mindset is bizarre, yet it exists.
Think about how well Saban played them.

Lose to Auburn, don't have to go to the SECCG, win a championship and Gus gets an extension. Brilliant!

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Let's be fair - programs like Alabama can truly say that it is all about national championships, but that is only because you have had so much success. For most programs, it is about state, division or conference championships. National championships are the dream, not the expectation.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Who said that on PF? Everything I've heard or read goes along these lines.
Let's be fair - programs like Alabama can truly say that it is all about national championships, but that is only because you have had so much success. For most programs, it is about state, division or conference championships. National championships are the dream, not the expectation.
It's that fine line of being aware of your place in the pecking order and still having high-ish expectations.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
Only because Bama was crippled by severe sanctions. It's a miracle Bama could win any vs them at that time. And they never could pull away in any of their wins. They just had such superior talent most of the time that Bama could not overcome, though they played with great heart.
Agreed. during the 6 game winning streak, auburn never beat Bama by more than 10 points!!!!!

techster79

All-American
Oct 20, 2014
Deatsville, Al

Marcello said:

“From what I’ve been told, there’s not much concern there when it comes to money,” Marcello said. “They’ll have it. I don’t believe it’ll come necessarily completely from boosters or even half of it will come from boosters. I think some will be willing to help pay for it, but based off what I’ve heard the money issue would not be that big of a hurdle for them to climb. My belief is, based on reading the contract, is that within a couple of months or within a month, they would owe Gus Malzahn $15 million in one sum total, and then he would be paid over the next four years of the contract to spread it out. It isn’t like it’s some big $31 million sum they have to give him.”

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida

Many people mark the passing of time with a calendar.

Others via the changing seasons.

Bama fans do so with the coaching turnover at rival programs.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Marcello said:

“From what I’ve been told, there’s not much concern there when it comes to money,” Marcello said. “They’ll have it. I don’t believe it’ll come necessarily completely from boosters or even half of it will come from boosters. I think some will be willing to help pay for it, but based off what I’ve heard the money issue would not be that big of a hurdle for them to climb. My belief is, based on reading the contract, is that within a couple of months or within a month, they would owe Gus Malzahn $15 million in one sum total, and then he would be paid over the next four years of the contract to spread it out. It isn’t like it’s some big $31 million sum they have to give him.
That's not how your original post came across:

I heard on Finebaum that the buyout will be 15 million in a few weeks and they can pay that out over years so the sticker shock may not be an issue that much longer.

Chechem

Scout Team
Oct 6, 2018
Deep South

Marcello said:

“From what I’ve been told, there’s not much concern there when it comes to money,” Marcello said. “They’ll have it. I don’t believe it’ll come necessarily completely from boosters or even half of it will come from boosters. I think some will be willing to help pay for it, but based off what I’ve heard the money issue would not be that big of a hurdle for them to climb. My belief is, based on reading the contract, is that within a couple of months or within a month, they would owe Gus Malzahn $15 million in one sum total, and then he would be paid over the next four years of the contract to spread it out. It isn’t like it’s some big $31 million sum they have to give him.”
BUT, then the Boog nation has to raise enough money to attract Jimbo Fisher, or whoever else they DREAM of getting. That's another $10M or so. They're in deep crap. And they deserve it!

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
That is insane
Nearest optimum outcome would be a repeat of 2017 for 'Bama and All Bran...in 2022. When, in the rich atmosphere of the winning lockerroom after vanquishing eventual (inevitable) National Champion Alabama, Malzahn would get a big hug from All Bran president Junior Samples Jr., after which Malzahn would spin Junior Jr. around and sign another 7-year contract extension pressing agin' one of Junior Jr.'s overall straps...

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
It amazes me that anyone would want to coach there with such a good ol’ boy network. Money talks I guess but I wouldn’t want to be anybody’s puppet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There will always be someone willing to put up with it if they are getting millions each year to do so.

But their issue is who do they replace him with? If he makes 7 million each year are they are going to be able to hire someone else for 2 or 3 million? If they go after a "name" they'd probably have to be looking at 7-10 a year. So if they can shake that much money in someone's face they'll come even if they are under Pat Dyes thumb.

You'd think by now someone would have said, "Boys, we need to do what Bama did with Saban. Hire a proven guy, get out of his way and let him run the show." That's about the only thing that might ever get them out of this cycle they are in. I personally hope they never figure it out!

Hasn`t it always been that way? My Auburn buddies ( practically all my high school friends/team mates who went to college went to Auburn ) would never openly admit it. I think as much as anything they look at it as a social strata thing, the Auburn people being down home, working class " fambly " types vs. the snooty, elitist, upper crust, society driven snobs. I do admit, I tread a little lightly during these times that are hard on them. In all honesty, I value those friendships far more than some relatively silly college rivalry. Plus, I`ve always felt that the only thing worse than a whiny loser is a poor winner. As Coach used to say, " Act like you`ve been there before ".
Very well said. I don't like Auburn at all, but I've got great friends who are big fans of theirs and I value their friendship over fandom. I do enjoy watching Auburn lose and will always do so but I plan to never be a jerk to my friends about their team losing.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.