Plain Trouble on "Da Plains" (all AU posts here)

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms
These buyout numbers do not help Gus keep his job this year. Getting rid of him this year isn't much different than next several years financially speaking. Public perception is more an issue, getting rid of a coach the first year after a new, huge deal. He better beat Ole Miss, which I think they do easily.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Someone can probably correct me if my timing is incorrect, but I think that Auburn really felt that Gus was going to leave for the Arkansas job.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
These buyout numbers do not help Gus keep his job this year. Getting rid of him this year isn't much different than next several years financially speaking. Public perception is more an issue, getting rid of a coach the first year after a new, huge deal. He better beat Ole Miss, which I think they do easily.
But they kind of do. These are mind-numbing numbers and could literally be stopped in their tracks by any number of people within the AU hierarchy based on the amounts involved. Not only that, but as mentioned before - what are the optics? Who do you hire that would want that job if they're willing to give a man $32 million to go away less than a year after a new contract? Who would feel safe?

There's no telling with the AU people will do, but I'm guessing Gus could lose the remaining games (even Liberty) and not be fired. You want to talk about public perception? Imagine the blasting AU would receive as a 'public institution of higher learning' spending more than they probably pay all the professors on campus combined to make one football coach go away, just after guaranteeing him that money. The people who make that decision would probably be signing their own termination papers in the process...

BamaDMD

Hall of Fame
Sep 10, 2007
Rainsville Al

Two weeks ago I would agree. Not so sure now. Ole Miss can put up some numbers, Auburn's Offense is anemic and predictable, and their defense looks like they don't care much anymore.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
But they kind of do. These are mind-numbing numbers and could literally be stopped in their tracks by any number of people within the AU hierarchy based on the amounts involved. Not only that, but as mentioned dbf ore - what are the optics? Who d you hire that would want that job if they're willing to give a man $32 million less than a year after a new contract? Who would feel safe?

There's no telling with the Au people will do, but I'm guessing Gus could lose the remaining games (even liberty) and not be fired. You want to talk about public perception? Imagine the blasting AU would receive as a 'public university of higher learning' spending more than they probably pay all the professors on campus combined to make one football coach go away, just after guaranteeing him that money. The people who make that decision would probably be sign gin their own termination papers in the process...
so what you are saying is s.n.a.s.s.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
If they fire Gus this year, they would have to go with Brown or Bill Clark. They couldn’t afford a big name with a big buyout elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
But they kind of do. These are mind-numbing numbers and could literally be stopped in their tracks by any number of people within the AU hierarchy based on the amounts involved. Not only that, but as mentioned before - what are the optics? Who do you hire that would want that job if they're willing to give a man $32 million to go away less than a year after a new contract? Who would feel safe?
I'll take the job. I'd be ok with feeling very unsafe for that Auburn-stupid amount of money.

Aledinho

All-SEC
Feb 22, 2007
My script for a new Regions Bank commercial:

At Regions Bank, we're here to help you move your life forward, but managing money can be tough, especially for colleges. That's why we sometimes bring in some extra help...
Auburn, you are way too smart to offer that contract. $31 million dollars for a coach that will be figured out by next week? And what will coach two maybe three more years?
Yeah, you're probably right.
Yeah, I probably am.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Re: Plain Trouble on "Da Plains" (all AU posts here)

My script for a new Regions Bank commercial:
The thing is, the Barn has proven - time and time again - that they aren't that smart.

I mean, they tried to lure Petrino in to replace Tubs and, when they were caught, rather than man up and tell Tubs to improve or he's gone they instead gave him a new contract with an even bigger buyout.

And Tubs was a petty good coach.

There's a reason Chizik is unemployed as a coach at all, much less as a head coach.

And now they've given Gus a $49 million contract.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.