Plain Trouble on "Da Plains" (all AU posts here)

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
If they drop this game Saturday, things will go down hill real fast there. And I'm not going to be surprised if some of the PTB begin to pressure Greene to start a conversation with Sexton about a negotiated buyout.
Negotiating? Sexton will say that the deal is crystal clear. Just stroke us a check for $32M and then do whatever you want to do...

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Marcello said:

“From what I’ve been told, there’s not much concern there when it comes to money,” Marcello said. “They’ll have it. I don’t believe it’ll come necessarily completely from boosters or even half of it will come from boosters. I think some will be willing to help pay for it, but based off what I’ve heard the money issue would not be that big of a hurdle for them to climb. My belief is, based on reading the contract, is that within a couple of months or within a month, they would owe Gus Malzahn $15 million in one sum total, and then he would be paid over the next four years of the contract to spread it out. It isn’t like it’s some big $31 million sum they have to give him.”
If money isn't the main concern, what is?!?

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Someone can probably correct me if my timing is incorrect, but I think that Auburn really felt that Gus was going to leave for the Arkansas job.
Reason they are in this mess. About half the fan base wanted him there, the other half was screaming “let him go. Please let him go!!” Leath took it upon himself to make the deal happen. Clearly he didn’t understand there was not some ground swell of support to retain Gus. Talk about being out of touch.

It didn’t take long to lose the “keep him half” after the LSU and MSU losses this year. And after last week’s debacle, the “keep half” are now looking for a rope and a tree.

Yep. Good times on the plains.

ddsmit

Suspended
Jan 3, 2003
Pensacola, FL
Didn't Gus hold clinics to teach other coaches to run his offense s few years back? I think he also wrote a book. I bet there's a lot of coaches out there that would like to know how to run the twirley bird.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Honestly, if they show Gus the door they would be better off promoting Kevin Steele to HC at least for a year and keep Chip Lindsey to run the offense. I believe Steele and Lindsey could do better than 6-6. I know Steele bombed at Baylor, but he certainly would be an upgrade over Gus.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Reason they are in this mess. About half the fan base wanted him there, the other half was screaming “let him go. Please let him go!!” Leath took it upon himself to make the deal happen. Clearly he didn’t understand there was not some ground swell of support to retain Gus. Talk about being out of touch.

It didn’t take long to lose the “keep him half” after the LSU and MSU losses this year. And after last week’s debacle, the “keep half” are now looking for a rope and a tree.

Yep. Good times on the plains.
Leath didn't make that decision on his own...but he sure is getting the blame for it. You can bet the PTB were solidly behind it or you would be hearing a lot about running Leath off with Malzahn.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Honestly, if they show Gus the door they would be better off promoting Kevin Steele to HC at least for a year and keep Chip Lindsey to run the offense. I believe Steele and Lindsey could do better than 6-6. I know Steele bombed at Baylor, but he certainly would be an upgrade over Gus.
That has been floating around as a real possibility since 2016 amongst Auburn fans.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The fans without money...?
No. Not the ones I’m referring to. Many of them are actually in the know.

In 2016 there was apparently a huge push to get rid of him had he lost the LSU game and replace him with Steele for that year and hire someone like Mush or Pruitt, but Gus found a way.

Last year I was hearing after the LSU game that Gus was gone regardless of what happened in TDSOR or the IB, but the president and Yella fella along with half the fan base road the momentum to a ludicrous contract for a guy they have been dog cussing all year.

Now I’m hearing there is a real possibility to fire him, give him his money, and use Steele as an Orgeron or luke coach who can build while they pay their time in hell.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Kevin Steele is know as an excellent recruiter, don't know about Lindsey, but they have a good recruiting nucleus. Defensively, Steele has done a good job and could retain control of that side of the ball. I honestly don't know much about Lindsey, but from what I have heard he is an excellent OC and play caller. So what do you lose if Gus is not on the sidelines, except the payroll hit?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Why keep (and promote) Steele if the defense continues on its current trajectory of the last two weeks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Why keep (and promote) Steele if the defense continues on its current trajectory of the last two weeks?

It’s like the question we were asking two years ago... Why keep and promote Ed Orgeron after losing to your biggest rival and a bad Florida team?

Does it make logical sense? No, but Gus has the Butch Jones effect with his press conferences and every loss is amplified 10x because of his constant Gusisms.

Last edited:

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
Who do you hire that would want that job if they're willing to give a man $32 million to go away less than a year after a new contract? Who would feel safe?
Your point is spot on, and I agree completely. But at what point does the huge buy-out transcend not feeling safe in the job?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
It’s like the question we were asking two years ago... Why keep and promote Ed Orgeron after losing to your biggest rival and a bad Florida team?
That was only because Herman and Jimbo were botched, though. Not like Ed was the first choice.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
That was only because Herman and Jimbo were botched, though. Not like Ed was the first choice.

Okay Matt Luke and Dabo... point is sometimes a fan base is so fed up with the same old crap that they would be willing to pay the long walk with a mediocre coach to rid themselves of the memory of a bad one with a lot of one liners and losses.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.