Plain Trouble on "Da Plains" (all AU posts here)

BamaFanInTally

All-SEC
Nov 18, 2002
Tallahassee, FL, USA
There will always be someone willing to put up with it if they are getting millions each year to do so.

But their issue is who do they replace him with? If he makes 7 million each year are they are going to be able to hire someone else for 2 or 3 million? If they go after a "name" they'd probably have to be looking at 7-10 a year. So if they can shake that much money in someone's face they'll come even if they are under Pat Dyes thumb.

You'd think by now someone would have said, "Boys, we need to do what Bama did with Saban. Hire a proven guy, get out of his way and let him run the show." That's about the only thing that might ever get them out of this cycle they are in. I personally hope they never figure it out!

Very well said. I don't like Auburn at all, but I've got great friends who are big fans of theirs and I value their friendship over fandom. I do enjoy watching Auburn lose and will always do so but I plan to never be a jerk to my friends about their team losing.
Just congratulate them on their state championship the same day you wear the 2017 NC t-shirt. Fair game.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Why keep (and promote) Steele if the defense continues on its current trajectory of the last two weeks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
His history doesn’t point to him being some defensive genius - recent history as well.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
His history doesn’t point to him being some defensive genius - recent history as well.

Correct. Auburn had a surprsingly good defense last year, and many figured that to continue this year. We're beginning to see the Kevin Steele most expected to see.

I can understand promoting an assistant if his group excels or he has a good record as a HC elsewhere. Steele doesn't have the record, and his defense is starting to not be so spectacular.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Kevin Steele is know as an excellent recruiter, don't know about Lindsey, but they have a good recruiting nucleus. Defensively, Steele has done a good job and could retain control of that side of the ball. I honestly don't know much about Lindsey, but from what I have heard he is an excellent OC and play caller. So what do you lose if Gus is not on the sidelines, except the payroll hit?
My understanding is Lindsey is calling the plays already and Steele is obviously in charge of the defense?

What change would that really promote other than not having Gus as the face and voice of the program?

To answer my own question, it probably couldn't be worse. Gus sounds like a hick from Arkansas who doesn't know what he's talking about.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
My understanding is Lindsey is calling the plays already and Steele is obviously in charge of the defense?

What change would that really promote other than not having Gus as the face and voice of the program?

To answer my own question, it probably couldn't be worse. Gus sounds like a hick from Arkansas who doesn't know what he's talking about.
This appears to be one area Auburn fans have a major problem. It's not as simple as Chip calling the plays. Apparently, Gus gives him the plays he likes and tells Chip to filter them to the game plan for the week. Then, Gus goes back through and pushes the plays he prefers out of what Chip gives him.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
You may be right about Steele as an interim HC, but auburn's lack of anything resembling an offense has put their defense in a hole in their 3 losses. It was discussion only I do not care whether Gus is retained, replaced or confined to the Waffle House.

Last edited:

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Read yesterday where cole cubelic(who normally sounds reasonable to me)supposedly said that $32 million in buyout money would “not be a problem”. For some reason I have a hard time believing that.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
This appears to be one area Auburn fans have a major problem. It's not as simple as Chip calling the plays. Apparently, Gus gives him the plays he likes and tells Chip to filter them to the game plan for the week. Then, Gus goes back through and pushes the plays he prefers out of what Chip gives him.
That's pretty mixed up....par for the course with the barners.

It's been well documented that Gus' offense only works well when their QB is a real running threat....ala....Cam and Nick Marshall. When you combine that with a decent OL and good running back core...that's when the GusBus offense works best.

The problem this year is they are really lacking all three of those ingredients, but I really think it start with the right type of QB and they don't really have it.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Read yesterday where cole cubelic(who normally sounds reasonable to me)supposedly said that $32 million in buyout money would “not be a problem”. For some reason I have a hard time believing that.
I heard the same on Finebaum the other afternoon. Apparently, after a certain date this season, the immediate buyout drops to 15 million, with the rest to be paid out over the next several years.

So yeah, it's probably doable. I don't care either way. They aren't going to hit a home run with the next hire anyway. They haven't had a great hire, IMO, since Dye. I'm talking about the kind of person that can build the program over the long haul. Chizik got lucky, and so has Gus. Tubbs did have a good thing going but their success against us back then was more to do with our probation.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I heard the same on Finebaum the other afternoon. Apparently, after a certain date this season, the immediate buyout drops to 15 million, with the rest to be paid out over the next several years.
Click

In the event Malzahn is fired without cause now, Auburn owes him 75 percent of the total remaining money on the deal — half of that within 30 days, the other half in installments over the next four years. The math here isn’t that complicated, but Malzahn’s buyout would work out to about $32.1 million if Auburn fired him on Dec. 1, 2018.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
So, ≈$16 Million up front and ≈$4 Million per year for the next four years.

I might be just a poor, white boy from Northwest Alabama but, to me, that sounds like a whole lot of money. Especially if you add in the costs of finding, hiring, and paying a new head coach.
And that doesn't include assistants, and one would expect them to have some buyout money, too.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
And that doesn't include assistants, and one would expect them to have some buyout money, too.
They're in a no-win situation.

Stick with Gus, and well, you're stuck with Gus.

Fire him and it not only costs you ridiculous money, but those ponying up the cash will not let the clowns who made the Gusstake in the first place do it again - now you have big money guys wading knee deep through your AD decisions. On top of that, who do you hire? Any established coach knows that this school is literally willing to fire him if things don't go the way they want - even a ridiculous buyout won't stop them. And an up-and-coing coach knows he'll get paid less but expectations will remain sky-high - does he really want to commit to that dysfunction?

They can't win and it's spectacular.

SNASS

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.