Plain Trouble on "Da Plains" (all AU posts here)

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I think you’re right in that they think they’re a more accomplished program than they really are. But I also think putting them on par with Arizona, UNC, and K-State overstates the point.

Over history (defined as the last 50 years) vs. the SEC, I’d put the barn on par with LSU, UTe, and Georgia. In the PAC-12, they’d be Washington, but not USCw. In the BIG, they wouldn’t be tOSU or Michigan, but rather Iowa.

It’s actually a tough spot to be in. Close enough to smell titles, occasional close calls and just enough rings to keep hope alive. But too inconsistent to be anything other than a historical also-ran, and it just drives them nuts.
This is why I'm just not worried. In the past I would have cared and been concerned they'd stumble onto a great coach.

What crimsonaudio says is correct. They are damned if they do, and damned if they don't. And I love it. They should have called his bluff last year. He didn't want to go to Arkansas. But even if he did, they could have found a coach that could get them 7 or 8 wins on average for half the price.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
This is why I'm just not worried. In the past I would have cared and been concerned they'd stumble onto a great coach.

What crimsonaudio says is correct. They are damned if they do, and damned if they don't. And I love it. They should have called his bluff last year. He didn't want to go to Arkansas. But even if he did, they could have found a coach that could get them 7 or 8 wins on average for half the price.
And Arkansas found a Malzahn clone in Chad Morris. He runs the same offensive system as Malzahn and has a similar background.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Auburn is Virginia Tech in the deep south but with way more booster meddling. No top coach will go into an environment like that. The great ones (Saban, Harbaugh, Meyer, Chris Petersen) like autonomy. The barners have an inner circle of fat cat boosters who treat the program like their own personal NFL franchise. They operate under a different set of rules than the rest of the conference.
I can’t say that our hands have always been 100% clean in that regard - but luckily those days are no longer with us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
Ugh. Beth Mowins or Stan White? I'll go with Beth and no volume, so at least the closed captioning will be tolerable. Pretty sure teh Rod & Stan show would be just as terrible as a transcript.

And, at least historically, I don't think the East Alabama Male College rates anywhere near Tennessee's program, which in its heyday long ago won a lot of conference titles. On the list of original SEC members, the Barn has more SEC titles than Vandy, Kentucky, Mississippi State and Mississippi, tied with Florida. They have three since 1990. They are a solid program, no doubt, but not an elite one in the SEC.

And yes, the meddling and interference by everyone from rich boosters, to former coaches, to former players, to upper administrative staff makes the job unattractive to a number of coaches who could doubtless improve the program, but don't want to deal with all the shenanigans.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
The more I have thought about this situation I have reached the conclusion the problem is not Gus. He is a pretty good coach. The problem is with the expectations at AU. They feel like they are one of the top elite programs in the country not the second tier program they are. The think they are on the level with Alabama, Notre Dame, Michigan, USC and great programs like those. The reality is they are a mid-pack power 5 school like Kansas State, Arizona, Northwestern, North Carolina to name a few. The truth is Gus is a great coach for a program at AU's level.
Actually, you nailed it...

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Auburn is Virginia Tech in the deep south but with way more booster meddling. No top coach will go into an environment like that. The great ones (Saban, Harbaugh, Meyer, Chris Petersen) like autonomy. The barners have an inner circle of fat cat boosters who treat the program like their own personal NFL franchise. They operate under a different set of rules than the rest of the conference.
Thankfully, Mal was able to trim that "unwanted fat" away to hire Saban...

twofbyc

Suspended
Oct 14, 2009
Its easy to be a defensive genius when you can steal the opponent's offensive signals...
Didn’t help much against UT, MSU or LSU.
Maybe it’s easier to steal from a house you used to live in...?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
The more I have thought about this situation I have reached the conclusion the problem is not Gus. He is a pretty good coach. The problem is with the expectations at AU. They feel like they are one of the top elite programs in the country not the second tier program they are. The think they are on the level with Alabama, Notre Dame, Michigan, USC and great programs like those. The reality is they are a mid-pack power 5 school like Kansas State, Arizona, Northwestern, North Carolina to name a few. The truth is Gus is a great coach for a program at AU's level.
Ahhh, yes, THIS!! I haven't had the heart to say this to my Auburn friends, but these are my exact thoughts!!

OBMS

1st Team
Jan 9, 2011
Read yesterday where cole cubelic(who normally sounds reasonable to me)supposedly said that $32 million in buyout money would “not be a problem”. For some reason I have a hard time believing that.
I know I'm late getting to the party but here's the basis of their "money's not a problem" claim.

https://www.forbes.com/profile/philip-falcone/#fa852a645bef

Falcone ran a hedge fund ---- Harbinger Capital Partners. Harbinger Capital made Falcone one of the top 200 richest people in the US according to Forbes in 2012 by shorting mortgages. By 2014 he was down to #1565

Quote - "made billions shorting subprime"--------- Oh, and look who actually owned Harbinger Capital Partners----

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harbinger_Capital

Quote -
Type
Private company
Industry Financials
Founded 2001[SUP][1][/SUP] in Birmingham, Alabama by Harbert Management Corporation
Headquarters New York City, New York, USA
Key people
Philip Falcone (Senior Managing Director)
AUM $9 billion[SUP][2][/SUP]
Website www.harbingercapital.com

Harbinger Capital Partners

Oh and look when Harbert got out--------Quote - In 2009, Harbinger acquired the ownership of its funds from Harbert, although Harbert handled administrative functions for Harbinger for a short transitional period.

Isn't that about the same time Colonial Bank changed their charter from Federal to State? hmmm

Billions---with a "B" and an "s". We had a running argument a while back discussing whether "they" had any money. If the hedge fund manager made enough off of commissions to put him in the top 200 of personal wealth, just think about what the owners made corporately.
I'll let you guys figure out how they knew which mortgage backed securities to short.
Then I'll let you figure out why Harbert got out of the construction business and got into the Financial Management business in 1993.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.