Plain Trouble on "Da Plains" (all AU posts here)

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I know I'm late getting to the party but here's the basis of their "money's not a problem" claim.

https://www.forbes.com/profile/philip-falcone/#fa852a645bef

Falcone ran a hedge fund ---- Harbinger Capital Partners. Harbinger Capital made Falcone one of the top 200 richest people in the US according to Forbes in 2012 by shorting mortgages. By 2014 he was down to #1565

Quote - "made billions shorting subprime"--------- Oh, and look who actually owned Harbinger Capital Partners----

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harbinger_Capital

Quote -

Type
Private company
Industry
Financials
Founded
2001[SUP][1][/SUP] in Birmingham, Alabama by Harbert Management Corporation
Headquarters
New York City, New York, USA
Key people
Philip Falcone (Senior Managing Director)
AUM
$9 billion[SUP][2][/SUP]
Website
www.harbingercapital.com

Oh and look when Harbert got out--------Quote - In 2009, Harbinger acquired the ownership of its funds from Harbert, although Harbert handled administrative functions for Harbinger for a short transitional period.

Isn't that about the same time Colonial Bank changed their charter from Federal to State? hmmm

Billions---with a "B" and an "s". We had a running argument a while back discussing whether "they" had any money. If the hedge fund manager made enough off of commissions to put him in the top 200 of personal wealth, just think about what the owners made corporately.
I'll let you guys figure out how they knew which mortgage backed securities to short.
Then I'll let you figure out why Harbert got out of the construction business and got into the Financial Management business in 1993.
Would his first name begin with a "Bobby...."?

Last edited by a moderator:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
When CNS leaves, Alabama could devolve back into the booster fights. That's what I'm most afraid of when CNS leaves.
I just hope we are wise students of history and we acknowledge why we had such trouble between CPB and CNS (with the exception of the Stallings era, which also had it's own trouble).

Right now, college football coaching is already litered with those who can make their claim to being a former Saban assistant. I just hope we don't get sucked back into that cycle of thinking that's the only candidate that's acceptable.

But the bigger issue is learning the lesson of whoever we hire, the PTB must stay out of his way. If we've learned anything with CNS I hope it's that when you hire a guy, everybody else (influential boosters and everybody else) needs to stay away and let the the HC be the CEO and run the show.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I just hope we are wise students of history and we acknowledge why we had such trouble between CPB and CNS (with the exception of the Stallings era, which also had it's own trouble).

Right now, college football coaching is already litered with those who can make their claim to being a former Saban assistant. I just hope we don't get sucked back into that cycle of thinking that's the only candidate that's acceptable.

But the bigger issue is learning the lesson of whoever we hire, the PTB must stay out of his way. If we've learned anything with CNS I hope it's that when you hire a guy, everybody else (influential boosters and everybody else) needs to stay away and let the the HC be the CEO and run the show.
Could not agree more. Obviously, it colors the kind of folks you look at and for as well. Whomever is chosen, I would think, would have to demonstrate the ability and history to " be the CEO and run the show." That would eliminate a bunch of people, IMO.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009

Which is the issue with Pruitt at Tennessee. Fulmer is basically his shadow. He's no more than 10 feet away from him at all times. My guess is that Pruitt will jump ship at some point down the line.

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
Could not agree more. Obviously, it colors the kind of folks you look at and for as well. Whomever is chosen, I would think, would have to demonstrate the ability and history to " be the CEO and run the show." That would eliminate a bunch of people, IMO.
A strong CEO/Head coach would also eliminate the ability and need of a lot of boosters to meddle in the program. I would suppose when there's a power or leadership vacuum, that's when you see these Boosters step into that vacuum and create havoc.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I find it ludicrous that a team like Auburn who is in the top 1/3 of P5 programs can't find a competent HC from among the G5 ranks or even the exceeding expectations of the mid pack P5. Go ahead and blackmail me (Mr Sexton) because I don't know how/want to/ do my job as AD. There are no good candidates out there so I will just sign off on a big raise for the struggling HC I already have. You know, that way I can take the easy path and basically do nothing except sign the check.

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms
I am going to say it again; Auburn is the best bet of the day. They are much better than Ole Miss; this game will not be close. I still think Auburn can challenge both Georgia and Alabama. They have a lot of talent on that roster. If their QB has a good game they can beat anybody. He just hasn't played well this year. If he hits those open receivers against Miss St. , Auburn is still in top ten. And they choked against LSU. They were the better team.They have underachieved more than anybody in the country.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I am going to say it again; Auburn is the best bet of the day. They are much better than Ole Miss; this game will not be close. I still think Auburn can challenge both Georgia and Alabama. They have a lot of talent on that roster. If their QB has a good game they can beat anybody. He just hasn't played well this year. If he hits those open receivers against Miss St. , Auburn is still in top ten. And they choked against LSU. They were the better team.They have underachieved more than anybody in the country.
I am not buying it. They are not as bad as they looked against TN, but they are not good enough to challenge Alabama.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Auburn is a bad football team. They have talent but too many holes in critical spots on the depth chart. Also, they have some locker room cancer right now. They could beat some good teams but I reckon they won't. Their defense is looking gassed and/or peeved...and that is their best route to beating good teams. Beating UDub is looking like one of the big flukes of the season because frankly UDub outplayed Auburn for most of that game.

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms
Well, I could be wrong. Wouldn't bother me if I am. Just watching their games, they looked better than everybody they lost to. Challenging Bama though might be a stretch, if Bama is healthy.
I am not buying it. They are not as bad as they looked against TN, but they are not good enough to challenge Alabama.

Cruiser

All-American
Sep 24, 2015
In the words of the prophet John McEnroe; "You CANNOT be serious" ?

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Auburn has serious OL problems. That is crippling. Mix that with ordinary RBs and a QB who has a little athletic ability but not nearly enough to be considered a running threat and a QB who has always been skittish about pressure and you've got serious offensive problems.

They have a good and deep DL, but the rest of the D is just average with CBs who have serious coverage problems and a DC who IMO is finally being exposed as just average.

This adds up to a 4-3 record. People read way too much into last year's reg season finish. At a frenzied J-H, they ambushed UGA and caught Bama at the perfect time: injured or hobbled on D with an offense that was caught in between, with Jalen playing badly without confidence in himself and without that of his teammates, yet 24-1, so CNS did not want to bench him. Bama was beating AU 3 min prior to the 4th qtr - it was hard not to start him or let him finish. When they fell behind Bama did move into scoring position each of next/last 3 possessions. Then imploded. AU's postseason was more indicative of their real ability - 2 bad losses.

Last edited:

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I agree that auburn will beat Ole Miss today. They will not beat TAMU at home nor @UGA or @Alabama. Gus has lost this team, however; I do not think they will fire him this year. They will give him 2019 to show a big improvement, if not then he will probably be shown the door. Someone said in a previous post that auburn, is the SEC's version of Iowa or Michigan State, can be good and knock off a few of the big programs, but in the end they are a perennial 8-4 or 9-3 program.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
They might beat Ole Miss today but it'll take a Bama-style defensive performance to do it.

I think scoring over 21 points wins the game for the Rebbearlandsharks.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Auburn has serious OL problems. That is crippling. Mix that with ordinary RBs and a QB who has a little athletic ability but not nearly enough to be considered a running threat and a QB who has always been skittish about pressure and you've got serious offensive problems.

They have a good and deep DL, but the rest of the D is just average with CBs who have serious coverage problems and a DC who IMO is finally being exposed as just average.

This adds up to a 4-3 record. People read way too much into last year's reg season finish. At a frenzied J-H, they ambushed UGA and caught Bama at the perfect time: injured or hobbled on D with an offense that was caught in between, with Jalen playing badly without confidence in himself and without that of his teammates, yet 24-1, so CNS did not want to bench him. Bama was beating AU 3 min prior to the 4th qtr - it was hard not to start him or let him finish. When they fell behind Bama did move into scoring position each of next/last 3 possessions. Then imploded. AU's postseason was more indicative of their real ability - 2 bad losses.
The very first sentence. Times 1000
Doesn’t matter how good your QB is if you can’t keep the defense off of him.
Their OL sucks - that’s also why they can’t run the ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TRU

All-SEC
Oct 3, 2000
Tampa, FL
I gotta think after all the years on the hot seat and all the meddling from the PTB down there on the Plains, that Gus is really enjoying this season in light of the contract he signed last year. If I were him, I would be thinking along the lines of Ray Liotta's character in Goodfellas:

1. Cancerous transfer QB? "**** you, pay me"
2. Bad O line? "**** you, pay me"
3. Embarrassing loss to the Vols? "**** you, pay me"

Revenge can be sweet.....

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.