Plain Trouble on "Da Plains" (all AU posts here)

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Not so much a statement of how good UNLV is, but how bad Howard has been.
They went 3-19 the last two years. HBCU football is in the lower tier of the FCS. Plus they are in DC and were playing at night three time zones away. A 45 point spread was being kind.

Howard's coach is Mike London, formerly of Virginia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
RIR had the scoop.
Davis- missed the spring
Pettway- ganj
White- Academics
Also, Malik not seeing the field last night is a pretty good indicator that the plan is to keep his RS on him. Walk on Devin Adams took the 2nd string reps. Sean will be our two unless Stidham gets hurt next week.

Semantics, probably. He loves to play that game, and people still complain about his coach speak.
My guess is Gus will say the suspended players didn't do everything needed to get back this week, allowing his earlier comments to still be correct.

Yeah he looked pretty gun shy. Was the victim of a few drops too. Glad he settled down, but if he plays like that against Clemson, we're in for a long night.

With the exception of one he forced, his throws weren't bad though. He just needs to get them off.

A vanilla offense was expected.

A problem we need to rectify in a hurry. Stidham's was excusable, as he was blindsided on a blown protection. Others have work to do. Kam Martin has always had issues. Slayton got careless after breaking free.

These kind of turnovers will get us killed against a P5 team. Hopefully just some rust we need to shake off.
There was some concerning stuff, but hopefully just a symptom of an early game with some new schemes that we can rectify in practice.

GSU is a triple option team. When they beat Florida a few years ago, I can't recall them throwing a single forward pass. They live and die by the run, and they typically do it very well against P5 teams. Going back to 2010, these are their rushing stats against P5 opponents.

2016----

Ole Miss

59 Carries
267 Yards
2 TDs

Ga Tech
50 Carries
167 Yards
2 TDs

2015----

WVA
57 Carries
195 Yards

UGA
53 Carries
233 Yards
1 TD

2014----

NC State
47 Carries
246 Yards
1 TD

Ga Tech
38 Carries
283 Yards
4 TDs

2013----

Florida
54 Carries
429 Yards
4 TDs

2012----

UGA
58 Carries
302 Yards
2 TDs

2011----

Bama
39 Carries
302 Yards
1 TD
Who is RIR?

Why does missing the spring equate to a suspension? What am I missing?

White is the last aub I expected to have academic issues? What exactle are we talking about here? Not going to class? Grades not where they are supposed to be? Cheating or plagarizaing? That one caught my attention, and surprised me. Was White and the others on the sidelines last night?

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
RIR is the admin at AUFamily. He works closely with the program in some capacity.

On Davis, it depends on why he missed the spring. The stated reason is "personal reasons." We may never know.

On Sean, RIR clarified and I missed it. He said "failed another non-academic test," which generally involves peeing in a cup. Another meaning this isn't the first time, and there are rumors he's a partier.

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
RIR is the admin at AUFamily. He works closely with the program in some capacity.

On Davis, it depends on why he missed the spring. The stated reason is "personal reasons." We may never know.

On Sean, RIR clarified and I missed it. He said "failed another non-academic test," which generally involves peeing in a cup. Another meaning this isn't the first time, and there are rumors he's a partier.
Color me surprised on White.

And all the local talk was this was now "Chip Lindsey's offense, gonna get the ball to playmakers where they can make plays, utilize the wide receivers who are supposed to be "special", Gus is out of the way" etc - and we saw 2/3 of the offense be runs, many ineffectual to fatigue and size overcame GSU

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Keep in mind that it is much harder to prepare for a triple option team during the season than it is to prepare for them for week one. Auburn has been preparing for this offence for weeks. Not diminishing the accomplishment, just pointing out the obvious.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Color me surprised on White.
College kids in general will always catch you by surprise, man.
And all the local talk was this was now "Chip Lindsey's offense, gonna get the ball to playmakers where they can make plays, utilize the wide receivers who are supposed to be "special", Gus is out of the way" etc - and we saw 2/3 of the offense be runs, many ineffectual to fatigue and size overcame GSU
Yeah, but an early season game you should win with your second teamers isn't generally the time to open things up, especially with a big time opponent on the horizon. No need to show them anything. Just keep it basic, focus on execution and get out without injury.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
RIR had the scoop:

Davis- missed the spring

Pettway- ganj

White- Academics

Also, Malik not seeing the field last night is a pretty good indicator that the plan is to keep his RS on him. Walk on Devin Adams took the 2nd string reps. Sean will be our two unless Stidham gets hurt next week.

Semantics, probably. He loves to play that game, and people still complain about his coach speak.

My guess is Gus will say the suspended players didn't do everything needed to get back this week, allowing his earlier comments to still be correct.

Yeah he looked pretty gun shy. Was the victim of a few drops too. Glad he settled down, but if he plays like that against Clemson, we're in for a long night.

With the exception of one he forced, his throws weren't bad though. He just needs to get them off.

A vanilla offense was expected.

A problem we need to rectify in a hurry. Stidham's was excusable, as he was blindsided on a blown protection. Others have work to do. Kam Martin has always had issues. Slayton got careless after breaking free.

These kind of turnovers will get us killed against a P5 team. Hopefully just some rust we need to shake off.

There was some concerning stuff, but hopefully just a symptom of an early game with some new schemes that we can rectify in practice.

GSU is a triple option team. When they beat Florida a few years ago, I can't recall them throwing a single forward pass. They live and die by the run, and they typically do it very well against P5 teams. Going back to 2010, these are their rushing stats against P5 opponents.

2016----

Ole Miss

59 Carries
267 Yards
2 TDs

Ga Tech
50 Carries
167 Yards
2 TDs

2015----

WVA
57 Carries
195 Yards

UGA
53 Carries
233 Yards
1 TD

2014----

NC State
47 Carries
246 Yards
1 TD

Ga Tech
38 Carries
283 Yards
4 TDs

2013----

Florida
54 Carries
429 Yards
4 TDs

2012----

UGA
58 Carries
302 Yards
2 TDs

2011----

Bama
39 Carries
302 Yards
1 TD
I know you exult in bringing up the Bama game from 6 years ago, like you did in the Bama/FSU thread, but there is no comparison. It wasn't simply that Bama's game was in season, but the major factor was the game was 2 weeks after Bama had lost the game to LSU and appeared to be out of the NC hunt. They looked bad against MSU the week before and worse against GSU. You don't know what it's like to be number one year after year and then appear to be out of the NC hunt. It's hard to get a team like Alabama up, Saban's record has proven that, time after time: Utah, AU, OU. All of those were bad losses after Bama was out of the NC hunt. They've been no 1 in the AP during each of the last 10 years. The second best such streak is 7 by Miami. The earliest they've been eliminated is the LSU loss in 2010, most years it has been the postseason. Miami's 7 year streak likely did not include remaining in contention that late in every season. Bama's streak is phenominal, unlikely ever to be approached again. I digress, the circumstances, mentally, physically and psychologically were quite different in the Bama encounter. But if you want to go back 6 years to make yourself feel good, have at it.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Not sure what their transgressions were and if they were all the same but I do find it interesting that Kamyrn Pettway and Kyle Davis are returning from suspension for the Clemson game while Sean White has to sit another week.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Not sure what their transgressions were and if they were all the same but I do find it interesting that Kamyrn Pettway and Kyle Davis are returning from suspension for the Clemson game while Sean White has to sit another week.
All the same but they need to Pettway and Davis (who are starters) to have a better chance to win on Saturday. If Auburn had opened with Clemson nobody would've been suspended the first game..

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
TIFWIW, but I heard failed drug tests.
It was report earlier than Sean White was initially suspended the first two games for academics.

I have since heard it was failed drug tests as well. I've also heard this isn't the first time he has had an issue.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.