Plain Trouble on "Da Plains" (all AU posts here)

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
This was discussed last week on Charlie Trotman's show down here. He tried to put it as Gus possibly just wanting to know what plays are for each situation.

I'm not seeing it. With the performance the last two weeks, Gus seems to still be in charge of the offense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Those were Gus plays and the Gus offense, the only one he will trust...

Leeroy

All-SEC
Dec 27, 2005
Right now I see no signs that our OL can block what DL Clemson fielded yesterday. Thankfully, Hurts is capable of exploiting their pursuit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
Don't compare apples to oranges. Our OL may need a little work but, they are no where near what the Barns OL is/is not. They made Clemson look better than they really are imo. I'll let Clemson shut down a good offense or two before penciling them in the playoffs.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Don't compare apples to oranges. Our OL may need a little work but, they are no where near what the Barns OL is/is not. They made Clemson look better than they really are imo. I'll let Clemson shut down a good offense or two before penciling them in the playoffs.
We will see how they handle the real Heisman winner this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
And before we crown the Barn D as nasty as some believe they are let's not forget that that Clemson QB is playing his second game as a starter. Last year's Clemson's O led by Watson would have hung 30+ on that Barn D. Plus, if the Barn O can't stay on the field better than that, their defense will tank as the season goes on!

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
And before we crown the Barn D as nasty as some believe they are let's not forget that that Clemson QB is playing his second game as a starter. Last year's Clemson's O led by Watson would have hung 30+ on that Barn D. Plus, if the Barn O can't stay on the field better than that, their defense will tank as the season goes on!
You're correct, and if the current trend continues, I think you'll see some division between the offense and defense.

bama61

1st Team
Aug 24, 2004
North Alabama
Not too sure about that 30 points business. Last year's Watson led Clemson team beat Auburn 19-13 and was outscored 10-6 in the 4th quarter. If memory serves Auburn returned 8 starters from that defense. Just saying.....

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Not too sure about that 30 points business. Last year's Watson led Clemson team beat Auburn 19-13 and was outscored 10-6 in the 4th quarter. If memory serves Auburn returned 8 starters from that defense. Just saying.....
I was thinking for about how they hung 35 on us by year's end. I really think our D was better than Auburn's last year. Clemson really came on strong as the year progressed.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
That's what I was thinking, but it is too early to tell which teams are going to be consistently good all year at this point. It is truly amazing what we have done for ten years now from a consistency of excellence standpoint.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
This is what makes the comments from Gus even more comical when he said after the game that Stidham is young and just needs more experience. The QB that clearly outplayed Stidham was less experienced and didn't even have the best WR group in the history of college football. Ah, forever young on the plains..

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Stidham looked slightly more mobile than a statue to me.

That does not bode well at all for the SEC battles they will face. Clemson's DL may well be the best they face all year, yet there are certain to be several that are nearly as good. 11 sacks given to Clemson might equal 7 or 8 to LSU or us.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Stidham looked slightly more mobile than a statue to me.

That does not bode well at all for the SEC battles they will face. Clemson's DL may well be the best they face all year, yet there are certain to be several that are nearly as good. 11 sacks given to Clemson might equal 7 or 8 to LSU or us.
Also have to consider that Kerryon Johnson is banged up and I read today that Pettway is dealing with planter fasciitis. That's apparently something that lingers and can be tough to play with. I doubt either back will be at 100% this season. That'd be disastrous for what's left of this AU offense..

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Also have to consider that Kerryon Johnson is banged up and I read today that Pettway is dealing with planter fasciitis. That's apparently something that lingers and can be tough to play with. I doubt either back will be at 100% this season. That'd be disastrous for what's left of this AU offense..
pf is a monster to deal with, and there is no way to really deal with it other than backing way off while you treat it.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Auburn's Defense is pretty nasty much as I hate to admit it. Clemson's D was just on a whole other level though.

I don't like Gus's mickey mouse offense but they will probabaly get clicking sooner or later. Stidham is no Heisman contender, but he looks like he can be pretty good with time. He's probabaly the most talented throwing QB Aub has had since Cam. He just had no time because Clemson's front 4 was DESTROYING their OL. You can see he has talent but they have hyped him up too much.

If we played Auburn right now I think it would be a similiarly close game. Both Defense's would dictate things. I think we would win on Jalen's running ability along with our RB's but I wouldn't feel great about pass protection. Clemson's Bryant had to get out of harms way a lot himself.

They will be a tough game at the end of the year if Gus can get out of his own way. The Over/Under might be around 30. I'd pick us 17-13 right now.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
pf is a monster to deal with, and there is no way to really deal with it other than backing way off while you treat it.
I can't remember if it was on here by I thought I read somewhere that PF is similar to turf toe in that the only way it gets better is with rest and treatment and then it flares back up again when you play. I remember Eddie had turf toe when he was at Bama and it was tough to manage..

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
Dye said this is the most talented team he's seen at Auburn and Tuberville said White is as good a QB as Stidham. Sounds like they're hanging Gus out to dry.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Dye said this is the most talented team he's seen at Auburn and Tuberville said White is as good a QB as Stidham. Sounds like they're hanging Gus out to dry.
Maybe, but they'll never take away his fearsome offensive playcalling handle of "Guess" Malzahn(c) ...

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
My take of the Auburn Clemson game was that Clemson was pretty good on defense, but I am not crowning them just yet. Auburn's offense is pretty bad and I think we'll see that when they play state week after next. I think the state game will be tell us about how good or bad Auburn is or isn't. Clemson is pretty good on offense and Auburn holding them to 14 appeared to be really good on the surface, but it is still early and again we'll see if the Clemson is a contender or pretender after they play Louisville next week. If they can score with Louisville, watch out. It may be a rubber match between us and Clemson again.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
My take of the Auburn Clemson game was that Clemson was pretty good on defense, but I am not crowning them just yet. Auburn's offense is pretty bad and I think we'll see that when they play state week after next. I think the state game will be tell us about how good or bad Auburn is or isn't. Clemson is pretty good on offense and Auburn holding them to 14 appeared to be really good on the surface, but it is still early and again we'll see if the Clemson is a contender or pretender after they play Louisville next week. If they can score with Louisville, watch out. It may be a rubber match between us and Clemson again.
Clemson has no running game other than Bryant with the QB keeper. he is a very good passer with some of his strikes against auburn secondary.
but I will wait as well to see if they are for real. against Kent St. they could name the score. against auburn, they had to work for every yard.
we will know much more vs Louisville this Sat. the ACC will give Clemson all the test they need and then some.
IMO, when Watson was the man and they had Williams as a WR and Gallman as their RB, their offense was difficult to stop. I just don't see it with this offense when facing better defenses, maybe they will prove me wrong. But as of right now, Kelly Bryant is Mr. Everything in that offense.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.