Plain Trouble on "Da Plains" (all AU posts here) - Page 258
Page 258 of 263 FirstFirst ... 158208248251252253254255256257258259260261262263 LastLast
Results 3,342 to 3,354 of 3408
  1. #3342
    BamaNation All-American
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,319

    Re: Plain Trouble on "Da Plains" (all AU posts here)

    They changed the font from something to Sabon... pronounced "Sabin". :

  2. #3343
    BamaNation Hall of Fame AUDub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
    Posts
    10,258

    Re: Plain Trouble on "Da Plains" (all AU posts here)

    Quote Originally Posted by BamaInBham View Post
    When should Alabama have won easily and lost in J-H? Not once. Actually, Bama has played over their heads more than not: 1995, 1997, 2001, 2003 come to mind. IMO, only 2005 and 2017 have they played a poor game. They barely escaped in 2009 but that was the only really close call. They've only played them 14 times. AU was fortunate to play 6 of those 14 games while Bama had crippling sanctions.

    Richt had a 5-3 record in J-H. I don't remember one upset, in fact, UGA probably upset AU a time or two. AU is 29-20 vs P5 teams in J-H since 2008, Bama is 41-4 in B-D.
    Thing is no one's quite sure what to make of Auburn yet, and there's a lot of football to be played between now and our final home stretch.

    We have the tools to be very good and challenge for the west. Whether we pull it all together is still up in the air.
    Just a barner.

    There goes Davis!

  3. #3344
    BamaNation All-American bamamc1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Haleyville, AL
    Posts
    3,206

    Re: Plain Trouble on "Da Plains" (all AU posts here)

    Gus offense: miss direction run, miss direction run, 3rd and 7, throw as far as you can down the middle of the field. Kirby could never figure it out. He was labeled an “offensive genius “. He was against a Kirby Smart defense. Hopefully, he beats UGA again and they keep him another year. High school. That’s what they have.

  4. #3345
    BamaNation All-American
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    3,223

    Re: Plain Trouble on "Da Plains" (all AU posts here)

    Quote Originally Posted by AUDub View Post
    Thing is no one's quite sure what to make of Auburn yet, and there's a lot of football to be played between now and our final home stretch.

    We have the tools to be very good and challenge for the west. Whether we pull it all together is still up in the air.
    I agree with most of what you say. I do think this version of Alabama "could" be too good for even a "very good" AU to legitimately compete for the West. But everything "is still up in the air".

  5. #3346
    BamaNation Hall of Fame colbysullivan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Gulf Breeze, FL
    Posts
    7,906

    Re: Plain Trouble on "Da Plains" (all AU posts here)

    Quote Originally Posted by bamamc1 View Post
    Gus offense: miss direction run, miss direction run, 3rd and 7, throw as far as you can down the middle of the field. Kirby could never figure it out. He was labeled an “offensive genius “. He was against a Kirby Smart defense. Hopefully, he beats UGA again and they keep him another year. High school. That’s what they have.
    Weird things happen in JHS

  6. #3347
    BamaNation Hall of Fame deliveryman35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Gadsden, AL
    Posts
    11,675

    Re: Plain Trouble on "Da Plains" (all AU posts here)

    Quote Originally Posted by colbysullivan View Post
    Weird things happen in JHS
    That and we always seem to play tight there.
    "Football is a hard game. These spread coaches forget that. Until good defenses remind them." Gene Stallings

  7. #3348
    BamaNation Hall of Fame AlexanderFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    5,621

    Re: Plain Trouble on "Da Plains" (all AU posts here)

    Quote Originally Posted by bamamc1 View Post
    Gus offense: miss direction run, miss direction run, 3rd and 7, throw as far as you can down the middle of the field. Kirby could never figure it out. He was labeled an “offensive genius “. He was against a Kirby Smart defense. Hopefully, he beats UGA again and they keep him another year. High school. That’s what they have.
    I’ve said it since he got there: any offense that depends more on the defense not executing than it does on the offense executing is doomed to fail. When the SEC began to lock down fundamentals the sledding got much tougher for him.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "It's not luck, it's random bursts of talent." - Gage Robinson

  8. #3349
    BamaNation Hall of Fame JustNeedMe81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    10,908

    Re: Plain Trouble on "Da Plains" (all AU posts here)

    https://www.al.com/auburnfootball/20...scrimmage.html

    Umm, sounds like 2nd scrimmage isn't any better than the first one. It is going to be a rough year for them.
    We are champions. We can prove it! *counting 15 championships*

  9. #3350
    BamaNation Hall of Fame TideFan in AU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Almost close enough to the pasture to smell it!
    Posts
    7,179

    Re: Plain Trouble on "Da Plains" (all AU posts here)

    Which usually means they’ll win a whole bunch of games! 😂

  10. #3351
    BamaNation Hall of Fame 92tide's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    East Point, Ga, USA
    Posts
    36,469

    Re: Plain Trouble on "Da Plains" (all AU posts here)

    Quote Originally Posted by AUDub View Post
    Thing is no one's quite sure what to make of Auburn yet,
    i can help with that.

    s.n.a.s.s.
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

    - George Orwell

    If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.

    — Thomas Pynchon

  11. #3352
    BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    19,878

    Re: Plain Trouble on "Da Plains" (all AU posts here)

    Quote Originally Posted by bamamc1 View Post
    Gus offense: miss direction run, miss direction run, 3rd and 7, throw as far as you can down the middle of the field. Kirby could never figure it out. He was labeled an “offensive genius “. He was against a Kirby Smart defense. Hopefully, he beats UGA again and they keep him another year. High school. That’s what they have.


    ???????

    2009 - 21 points - that included a bit of early razzle dazzle and, oh yeah, a break the week before

    2010 - 28 points.....a team that averaged 41.2 ppg and was in the game mostly because of Alabama O mistakes....and oh yeah, a break the week before

    2011 - 0 points for the Malzahn offense (they had a fumble recovery TD and a kickoff return TD)

    2013 - 34 points (13 in the final 31 seconds), and again won because of Alabama OFFENSIVE mistakes.....and oh yeah, a break the week before

    2014 - 44 points (okay, I'll give him this one, he lit us up.....and still lost)

    2015 - 13 points, and that lone touchdown had nothing to do with sensational play-calling, it was a lucky grab

    Kirby Goes to UGA

    2016 - 7 points

    2017, game 1 - 40 points
    2017, game 2 - 7 points

    2018 - 10 points


    so.....Gus has faced Kirby ten times and lost seven.

    He's been shut out once, topped 28 points 3 times, and held under twenty FIVE times.

    (Even if you want to use the argument, "But all those 5 stars at Alabama," fact is that 3 of those 5 below twenty games were at UGA).

    In other words, he's not even an offensive genius against Kirby Smart.

    One can reasonably argue that Auburn's better showings during the prime era of the dynasty owe as much to extra rest/recovery as they do whatever alleged genius Gus is.


    I just don't think he's nearly as good as what they're paying him. I think they should have let him flee rather than fear the fallout, because I think they could hire a better coach in a snap. Not as exciting an offensive guy, no.

    But they'd trade that for winning more games, too.
    My New Year's resolution for 2019 is this year I'm not going to drink anymore. I'm not going to drink any less, either.

    I was married for 25 years, but if I'd killed her on the honeymoon, I'd have been out in less than 20.

    Butch Jones has richly earned his title, The Archbishop of Talentbury

    After reading all the horrible things drinking will do to you....I gave up reading.

  12. #3353
    BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Greenbow, Alabama
    Posts
    15,855

    Re: Plain Trouble on "Da Plains" (all AU posts here)

    Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    ???????

    2009 - 21 points - that included a bit of early razzle dazzle and, oh yeah, a break the week before

    2010 - 28 points.....a team that averaged 41.2 ppg and was in the game mostly because of Alabama O mistakes....and oh yeah, a break the week before

    2011 - 0 points for the Malzahn offense (they had a fumble recovery TD and a kickoff return TD)

    2013 - 34 points (13 in the final 31 seconds), and again won because of Alabama OFFENSIVE mistakes.....and oh yeah, a break the week before

    2014 - 44 points (okay, I'll give him this one, he lit us up.....and still lost)

    2015 - 13 points, and that lone touchdown had nothing to do with sensational play-calling, it was a lucky grab

    Kirby Goes to UGA

    2016 - 7 points

    2017, game 1 - 40 points
    2017, game 2 - 7 points

    2018 - 10 points


    so.....Gus has faced Kirby ten times and lost seven.

    He's been shut out once, topped 28 points 3 times, and held under twenty FIVE times.

    (Even if you want to use the argument, "But all those 5 stars at Alabama," fact is that 3 of those 5 below twenty games were at UGA).

    In other words, he's not even an offensive genius against Kirby Smart.

    One can reasonably argue that Auburn's better showings during the prime era of the dynasty owe as much to extra rest/recovery as they do whatever alleged genius Gus is.


    I just don't think he's nearly as good as what they're paying him. I think they should have let him flee rather than fear the fallout, because I think they could hire a better coach in a snap. Not as exciting an offensive guy, no.

    But they'd trade that for winning more games, too.
    I keep hearing that and even asked this question in another thread. No responses, so any ideas?
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

    "The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

  13. #3354
    BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    21,848

    Re: Plain Trouble on "Da Plains" (all AU posts here)

    Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    I keep hearing that and even asked this question in another thread. No responses, so any ideas?
    Someone like Holgorsen would have jumped at the job.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

TideFansStore.com Bama Gear