Plain Trouble on "Da Plains" (all AU posts here)

superbamashane

1st Team
Aug 14, 2006
Sylacauga, AL
I think the situation will run deeper with Auburn Basketball before it is over. I wont say who he was or where I was employed at the time, but I had a personal encounter with a then current basketball player at my previous job. After displaying a large sum of cash he went into one of our offices and had a speakerphone conversation with someone. He openly spoke about receiving money from an agent and heat being on him. He also told the person on the phone that Pearl was aware of the situation and they had spoken about it. He was suspended indefinitely shortly after and left the team. I won't call his name but you can look at last years roster and figure it out.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Of course not, and at the moment neither should anyone else. Every major program should be on pins and needles.
Not necessarily. Anthony Grant would have little to do with AAU BB. It was a complaint by many that he would not play ball, thus he did not recruit as well as many thought he should. If he were still at Bama I would have almost zero apprehension. Avery does play ball with them. Does that mean he or his staff cheats, not necessarily, but it opens up the possibility. I.e., I would not be shocked but a little surprised if Bama was involved. If Mark Gottfried or Wimp were here I would be surprised if Bama was not involved. Btw, I've always felt that CBB was by far the most corrupt sport, one player can change the entire trajectory of a program. But I do believe there are relatively clean programs. I think there is a decent chance Bama is one of them, 3 years ago I would have felt there was a great chance.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I don't think the notion that Pearl was not aware of this situation will fly. Logic tells you that Chuck Person in Auburn ,Alabama is not going to contact a financial advisor in New York out of the blue without someone pointing him his direction. Who at Auburn has a history of signing players from New York? Hmm. There are more questions than answers at this point, but if Auburn really wants to correct things, they need to clean the athletic dept house completely starting with Pat Dye. The culture there for years has been "if you can't prove it, we didn't do it".

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
reading their boards on this latest fiasco, one doesn't need to look very long to see the hateful bunch known as auburn fans quickly deflect from their doomed athletic shenanigans by pointing out that Alabama football is more corrupt than anything that goes on in their lovely institution of higher learning.

they are predictable as the rising sun.
http://scout.com/college/auburn/Boa...ns-NCAA-fraud-hotline-asks-for-tips-108043652

right on cue. they never miss an opportunity, do they??

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
I don't think the notion that Pearl was not aware of this situation will fly. Logic tells you that Chuck Person in Auburn ,Alabama is not going to contact a financial advisor in New York out of the blue without someone pointing him his direction. Who at Auburn has a history of signing players from New York? Hmm. There are more questions than answers at this point, but if Auburn really wants to correct things, they need to clean the athletic dept house completely starting with Pat Dye. The culture there for years has been "if you can't prove it, we didn't do it".
That someone was Michel, the guy with the suit store in Atlanta. Read what the DOJ released. It's all there.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Not necessarily. Anthony Grant would have little to do with AAU BB. It was a complaint by many that he would not play ball, thus he did not recruit as well as many thought he should. If he were still at Bama I would have almost zero apprehension. Avery does play ball with them. Does that mean he or his staff cheats, not necessarily, but it opens up the possibility. I.e., I would not be shocked but a little surprised if Bama was involved. If Mark Gottfried or Wimp were here I would be surprised if Bama was not involved. Btw, I've always felt that CBB was by far the most corrupt sport, one player can change the entire trajectory of a program. But I do believe there are relatively clean programs. I think there is a decent chance Bama is one of them, 3 years ago I would have felt there was a great chance.
I knew Grant didn't play ball with the AAU. Someone mentioned it yesterday in the BB thread.

Makes Grant look pretty smart in hindsight.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Could both major programs in Kentucky be getting looked at by the FBI? If Nike is being looked at could the flagship Wildcats be next?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
That someone was Michel, the guy with the suit store in Atlanta. Read what the DOJ released. It's all there.
So we are to believe that a guy selling suits in Atlanta hooked up with the financial advisor in New York and put the deal together. Chuck person was essentially entrapped and an innocent victim. BTW, AU has already hired Lightfoot, Franklin again. Gee, I wonder how much of our tax dollars go to this firm to defend AU athletics.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I don't know the details of this so I may be wrong, but this looks to me like a huge failure and embarrassment by the NCAA. Am i wrong?
The interesting thing is the FBI and the NCAA seem to have completely different priorities and approaches.

In the past, NCAA lead investigations have in order of biggest to least concern gone after:
Schools
Players
Coaches
Agents
Shoe Companies

The AAU scene has been dirty for a while, people knew the shoe companies and agents have been doing shady things for a while. But, in part because it's just out of the NCAA's jurisdiction, and also I think because the NCAA legitimately didn't seem to care that much. It was like they didn't care who was paying the players or why, just that they got paid and that was the problem. You'd think a more proactive NCAA could have done more to keep agents and shoe companies at arms length. Then if you look at what the FBI is doing, they basically flipped that list. They're calling the school and players victims, while going after shoe companies, agents and coaches.

I still wonder how the NCAA will handle this. This is nothing like what they are capable of doing, or what they seem to try to do either.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I don't know the details of this so I may be wrong, but this looks to me like a huge failure and embarrassment by the NCAA. Am i wrong?
Yes, you're wrong. Read about how all this came about. The NCAA doesn't have subpoena power and the investigation started with something that the NCAA would never have knowledge of..

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Not really - at least not yet. The FBI stumbled upon this when someone they had in their sites started talking in order to reduce his potential jail time. The FBI has two distinct advantage over the NCAA that allow it to find things that otherwise might remain hidden:
1- subpoena power (including warrants to search bank records, etc.)
2- the threat if prison.

At this point, the idea that the NCAA should have known is a bit premature, imo, but if this investigation continues as the FBI has said it will, and if (BIG if) Nike is also involved, this will look bad for everybody, not just the NCAA.

I can actually see this really blowing up and essentially convincing the larger programs that it's time to leave and start their own organization.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
If Nike is dirty, I guarantee you KY is. Heck, they have Calipari as their head coach - need I say more?
Wonder if the FBI takes a trip down Tobacco Road after they play Bluegrass? This could lay waste to the division one basketball landscape potentially.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
So we are to believe that a guy selling suits in Atlanta hooked up with the financial advisor in New York and put the deal together.
The DOJ had an informant relaying this info to them. This was the "financial advisor" in question. Read the report. It's all there.

And this wasn't just any old guy selling suits. He had been a ref in college and the pros, and his store has furnished outfits for some high profile athletes. Fournette and Deshaun Watson being two of them. This guy was in deep.

Chuck person was essentially entrapped and an innocent victim.
Hardly. They may have given him the rope, but he hung himself with it.

BTW, AU has already hired Lightfoot, Franklin again. Gee, I wonder how much of our tax dollars go to this firm to defend AU athletics.
An independent investigation is absolutely necessary in a situation like this.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.