Plain Trouble on "Da Plains" (all AU posts here)

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Possibly because the program's APR (Academic Progress Rate) can be improved (earn bonus points) by having a student athlete return and complete their degree? Not saying this is the case, but it is a possibility.

What doesn't pass the smell test is taking and passing an online course final (with a perfect score no less) a few weeks into the course.

And let's take a stroll down memory lane to 2012 when Auburn was looking to eliminate Public Administration because it didn't fit the school's "academic mission". And low and behold over half of the public administration majors (111 majors) were athletes and 40 of those were football players. So important was "Public Administration" to the athletic department that they offered to fund it. Nothing fishy about that...

Then step back to 2006 and the Sociology no show classes in which papers were being written in lieu of class attendance and had a disproportionate number of athletes in the class. And the course was a required course for graduation in sociology and the course was being directed by a Professor in Criminology. Nothing fishy about that...

And who can forget the James Brooks story of a guy that left there after four years functionally illiterate. My brother was on faculty at Auburn at the time. When the story broke during his child support court case, my brother said that Brooks' issue was well known among faculty.

If there is hanky panky going on in academics, it wouldn't be the first time.
Brent Fullwood? Wasn’t there an old joke that the eagle died because Fullwood was supposed to feed it on the way to class? I don’t think he went to class the whole last fall semester he was there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Brent Fullwood? Wasn’t there an old joke that the eagle died because Fullwood was supposed to feed it on the way to class? I don’t think he went to class the whole last fall semester he was there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fullwood quit attending class a few weeks into the fall quarter of his final year at Auburn. He was by all intents and purposes academically ineligible but it wasn't "discovered" he wasn't attending classes until after the season was over. Dye still played him in the bowl game he wasn't "technically" ineligible until his grades posted and the next term started.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
If I'm working as a part-time tutor and want to get paid, and they require me to sign a "no knowledge of wrongdoing" statement in order to get a check, I'm signing that thing every time - no matter how much wrongdoing I know about. It doesn't mean I don't have actual knowledge of wrongdoing, it just means I have a greater want/need of my paycheck. If I tell them I know of wrongdoing; a) how long does that delay receiving my check and b) does that jeopardize my continued employment? The only purpose those type statements serve, especially in conjunction with pay, is to enable AU to do exactly what they're now doing: were you lying when you signed the forms or are you lying now - either way it succeeds in eroding the creditability of the claimant and deflects attention away from the real issue of whether infractions were committed. You don't suppose a certain law firm would have come up with that idea, nah...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If I'm working as a part-time tutor and want to get paid, and they require me to sign a "no knowledge of wrongdoing" statement in order to get a check, I'm signing that thing every time - no matter how much wrongdoing I know about. It doesn't mean I don't have actual knowledge of wrongdoing, it just means I have a greater want/need of my paycheck. If I tell them I know of wrongdoing; a) how long does that delay receiving my check and b) does that jeopardize my continued employment? The only purpose those type statements serve, especially in conjunction with pay, is to enable AU to do exactly what they're now doing: were you lying when you signed the forms or are you lying now - either way it succeeds in eroding the creditability of the claimant and deflects attention away from the real issue of whether infractions were committed. You don't suppose a certain law firm would have come up with that idea, nah...
Fair enough, but some people put their personal integrity first. If a person has no integrity, they become even less credible.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
What doesn't pass the smell test is taking and passing an online course final (with a perfect score no less) a few weeks into the course.
Have you ever taken an online course where you could have your final grade (and credits for the course) awarded at any time during the course as long as you could get a passing grade on the final? I have taken a few of these classes for continued education stuff for work, and it is actually pretty easy if you are even moderately intelligent and prepare. We don't know the subject involved, so that is a factor, but mine were management classes and getting a perfect score would simply require reading the material.

Look, I don't know if there was cheating involved or not. All that I am saying is that ESPN published a story that would never have been published by a reputable news agency when I was growing up. They should have, and would have, required a second source or some corroborating evidence, not just the word of a disgruntled former employee.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Have you ever taken an online course where you could have your final grade (and credits for the course) awarded at any time during the course as long as you could get a passing grade on the final? I have taken a few of these classes for continued education stuff for work, and it is actually pretty easy if you are even moderately intelligent and prepare. We don't know the subject involved, so that is a factor, but mine were management classes and getting a perfect score would simply require reading the material.
This isn't unique to Auburn. Pretty much every school that offers online classes has something like this. Weekly online assignments that you submit through CANVAS or something. Each assignment takes like 20 minutes, and they are all available to complete from the beginning of the term.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I took several online courses during college. A few were setup like a typical class. Every few weeks you have a test on so many chapters. A couple other ones were "here's your assignments; have them completed by the last day of classes."

And depending on what the course was, making a 100 on a final isn't out of question. Never read any for my World History class and still had an A or B. I had the book right in front of me while writing the essay tests.

It's not hard.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
This isn't unique to Auburn. Pretty much every school that offers online classes has something like this. Weekly online assignments that you submit through CANVAS or something. Each assignment takes like 20 minutes, and they are all available to complete from the beginning of the term.
You're talking about weekly quizzes or assignments and the article is talking about a final exam..

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I took several online courses during college. A few were setup like a typical class. Every few weeks you have a test on so many chapters. A couple other ones were "here's your assignments; have them completed by the last day of classes."

And depending on what the course was, making a 100 on a final isn't out of question. Never read any for my World History class and still had an A or B. I had the book right in front of me while writing the essay tests.

It's not hard.
So did I. I took several at UAH and a few at Colorado State. Most of the ones I took were to get my electives out of the way so they were easy classes like physical education or food nutrition and health. Even though I made an A in those classes the finals were not easy. They were generally 75 question multiple choice (normally 5-7 choices) and you really had to pay attention to the slides throughout the course and read the book to know the answer to some of the more obscure questions. I seriously doubt that most football players could make a perfect score on a final exam, even in an easy class, a few weeks into the course..

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
After letting North Carolina walk on what is probably the worst long term case of academic fraud in history.... well the NCAA should just say "excuse me" and leave Auburn alone. One adviser who claimed to take one test for a player is NOTHING to what was going on at UNC. Like most on this board, I would like to see AU suffer, but this NCAA ruling on UNC is just terrible.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I agree with the NCAA with respect their decision on UNC. Their accreditation should be at risk. They have been exposed as a paper mill university, and their degrees are garbage. Really has nothing to do with sports.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
You all make valid points about the academic matters but why shouldn't they apply to both. The NCAA is a paper tiger and not worth what it costs to maintain. It has been shown to be inept unless those it targets are more inept at covering their misdeeds or wish to maintain some integrity in sports.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
You all make valid points about the academic matters but why shouldn't they apply to both. The NCAA is a paper tiger and not worth what it costs to maintain. It has been shown to be inept unless those it targets are more inept at covering their misdeeds or wish to maintain some integrity in sports.
Because the NCAA's bylaws deal with athletics, not academics.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
Respectfully disagree because they deal with academic eligibility and this kind of cheating would certainly render an athlete ineligible.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Respectfully disagree because they deal with academic eligibility and this kind of cheating would certainly render an athlete ineligible.
But they don't deal with academic eligibility. The school would have to rule a player (recruits are different story) ineligible.

OBMS

1st Team
Jan 9, 2011
But they don't deal with academic eligibility. The school would have to rule a player (recruits are different story) ineligible.
The last time Auburn ruled someone academically ineligible was prior to Shug Jordan.

OBMS

1st Team
Jan 9, 2011
Eric Smith.
One? Since 1957?
For 1 game? A bowl game against Northwestern after a 7-5 regular season---where they learned how to pull what they pulled the next season and postpone grades until after the bowl game?

This is why he was dismissed.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/06/former_auburn_rb_eric_smith_se.html

Quote - In late February, an Auburn spokesman told reporters Smith was dismissed from the team for an unspecified violation of team rules. The university did not say when Smith was dismissed from the team.

Please don't take me wrong Dub, I like you---just please don't try to sell it here.

Last edited:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.