Plain Trouble on "Da Plains" (all AU posts here)

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw

An average coach would play conservative with such a lead going into the fourth quarter. But Gus is not an average coach so he would not play conservative in the fourth. But coach O knows Gus is not an average coach thus Gus can’t open it up in the fourth quarter. But Gus knows that coach O knows that Gus is not an average coach so Gus must play conservative in the fourth quarter. But wait, I’m just getting started.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
Gus's decision making is wasting what talent we have. He's a deer in the headlights when the pressure's on. It sucks when you go into the final quarter with a lead but know exactly what's coming.
Been there and done that with some past coaches. It is truly frustrating when you know what these guys get paid. I think many AD's around the nation should be fired TODAY. The folks hiring and paying this huge money to coaches who look so inept at times is crazy. The AD's probably do more research buying their new BMW or Benz than they do assessing coaches. It is sad how many multi millionaire idiots are head coaches. Then add in the huge buyouts for this foolishness. Quit hiring names and hire talent.Probably 20 coaches in the lower levels of college that are better than some of the SEC failures we call coaches today. I mean if you can recruit and win at small schools, seems logical they can recruit and win at larger schools. They know how to RUN a program, all the DC and OC hires has shown one weakness, calling plays is not the same as over seeing a BILLION dollar program. A head coach must run a program not one side of a team in a game. The stuff we never see is the hard part, but that is the part that wins on weekends. Recruiting, planning, balancing media events. Controlling the beast, that is why Nick is so good, his attention to detail and his willingness to delegate, but hold those he delegates to accountable. Nick is not that great at the X's and O's to me except on defense. But he hire the best turns it over to them, yet holds them to a high standard. Nick may get mad on the sideline but he never looks lost. Many of the failures look so clueless at times. it show in delay of games, wasting time outs and bad clock management . Not saying he has not messed up, but it is rare.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017

An average coach would play conservative with such a lead going into the fourth quarter. But Gus is not an average coach so he would not play conservative in the fourth. But coach O knows Gus is not an average coach thus Gus can’t open it up in the fourth quarter. But Gus knows that coach O knows that Gus is not an average coach so Gus must play conservative in the fourth quarter. But wait, I’m just getting started.
For a minute I understood this post, then my head exploded:confused:

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Discipline, coaching talent and focus wins titles. Many things make up great teams, one ex player with zero experience as a coach, recruiter or motivator does not win games. Tebow motivated as good as any player on the planet, how did that work when Bama player made plays? MANY many things make a team great, and better men than this kid have failed. I hope you guys hie him, one less game to ever worry about again.
Interim though. Write this one off while we can. Beating UGA is a pipe dream. We're not getting over the hump with Gus. Let him come in and be all "rah rah" and let his coordinators coordinate, maybe we'll steal a game we're not supposed to and go to a decent bowl, but start trying to go after PJ Fleck or Jeff Brohm.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
The fact he wants this job , and can't spell/use proper grammar on his application, is a STRONG indicator.
He wants this job cause his playing days are over and that aub degree is not landing him any fortune 500 CEO jobs. being former aub player he knows qualifications is not high on the list to Jay Jacobs :biggrin2:

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013

Fool! He fell victim to one of the classic blunders. The most famous is "Never get involved in a land war in Asia," but only slightly less well known is this: Never go in against a Sicilian when the game is on the line!

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
Fool! He fell victim to one of the classic blunders. The most famous is "Never get involved in a land war in Asia," but only slightly less well known is this: Never go in against a Sicilian when the game is on the line!
Or rest on a 20 point lead in death valley.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Been there and done that with some past coaches. It is truly frustrating when you know what these guys get paid. I think many AD's around the nation should be fired TODAY. The folks hiring and paying this huge money to coaches who look so inept at times is crazy. The AD's probably do more research buying their new BMW or Benz than they do assessing coaches. It is sad how many multi millionaire idiots are head coaches. Then add in the huge buyouts for this foolishness. Quit hiring names and hire talent.Probably 20 coaches in the lower levels of college that are better than some of the SEC failures we call coaches today. I mean if you can recruit and win at small schools, seems logical they can recruit and win at larger schools. They know how to RUN a program, all the DC and OC hires has shown one weakness, calling plays is not the same as over seeing a BILLION dollar program. A head coach must run a program not one side of a team in a game. The stuff we never see is the hard part, but that is the part that wins on weekends. Recruiting, planning, balancing media events. Controlling the beast, that is why Nick is so good, his attention to detail and his willingness to delegate, but hold those he delegates to accountable. Nick is not that great at the X's and O's to me except on defense. But he hire the best turns it over to them, yet holds them to a high standard. Nick may get mad on the sideline but he never looks lost. Many of the failures look so clueless at times. it show in delay of games, wasting time outs and bad clock management . Not saying he has not messed up, but it is rare.
You're not wrong. I agree.

You will never see Gus get in a coordinator's face like CNS does. He displays no fire on the sideline and he can't keep his hands out if the offense, which is badly in need of an overhaul. We were hoping the new blood with Chip would freshen things up, but it's the same old song and dance.

Steele has been his best hire, but there's nothing you can do when the O can't move the ball and keep them off the field.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Imagine if they both had REAL coaches who knew how to coach, the west would be a scary place to play.
Well, I'm not complaining, but there's no question that the head coaching talent in the SEC has seriously degraded.

I'm not saying all these guys should still be coaching in the SEC, or what ever, but just consider some of the coaches that has been fired in the SEC and compare it to the current coaches. Petrino, Richt, Tubberville, Fulmer, Miles. Now, it's easy enough to argue that most of those guys didn't deserve to keep their jobs, but look at their replacements. The only one that looks like an adequate replacement is Kirby Smart, though I guess Auburn fans might take the one good Chizik season with the three bad. But, overall, we're talking about replacing 5 coaches with winning overall and SEC records, with 3 guys who couldn't muster winning conference records (Dooley, Bielema, and Chizik).

In addition to that, departures of Franklin, Meyer, and the retirement of Spurrier really left the SEC devoid of quality coaching talent. The ACC got Petrino and Richt, the Big 10 got Franklin and Meyer. What proven head coach has the SEC brought in since Saban arrived? Bielema? Is that the best the conference can come up with?

Edit: I should probably add that of all the fired SEC coaches that stay in conference, Muschamp is the one that manages to stay? The guy who made Florida look pedestrian?

Last edited:

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham

Perfect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
Shula had been a coach for 15 years (all in the NFL) when we hired him.

Being a position coach and Head Coach is night and day. Head coach has to totally run the entire program. Coaching is actually just a part of the job. Where a head coach makes his biggest impact is as a leader. You have to run what is basically a billion dollar beast. At large schools like Bama look at yearly money over a 5 year period you are managing a billion dollar beast. You have to please so many folks.

Imagine trying to put together practice, game plans, picking starters, etc., day to day coaching job. Now throw in RABID FANS(me included) Boosters, admin, sponsors, Media and the board. Now recruiting, keeping NCAA at bay, and trying to have a home life with all that entails.Get real people this is a 20 hr a day job if you want to actually reach the top. Shula was great guy, and good position coach, but to become first time HC at a place like Bama..... yes he failed, anyone would. Saban did not start at Bama, he was a HC at smaller program, learned the ropes and learned how to manage all that stuff. Do AD's really not know that this is a impossible job, that only a guy who has been a head coach, has any clue how to do it? Most any job is simple, you work your way to the top. You manage a few employees, then a department, then a store, long before running the entire corporation.

Maybe if AD's quit reading ESPN choices for HC and did some real research, and get some head hunters who know how to find the right people. Hire guys who have been successful at smaller programs, they know what being a HC is. Then allow them to run the beasts, that are top programs. Fighter pilots do not jump in a F22 first off, they start small and work there way up. No one flies a 747 as his first plane, you get basics and work up to the flying building with more computers than best buy LOL

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
My point was Shula had a lot more coaching experience than he was being given credit for. However, I agree I'd rather hire someone with head coaching experience. Our two worst post-Bryant coaches were never head coaches before we hired them.

But this barn guy is an idiot. If I'm their AD, I'd tell this guy to knock it off as he isn't helping matters.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
Yeah, actually he can be worse. He has less coaching experience than Shula.
Hell, LSU's coach can hardly talk, and he out coached ours. Being a head coach is more about management and motivation than being a great coordinator. It's about passion. Passion can make kids run through walls for you. It's infectious. We don't have that. If Heath brings that to the table, and he is one of my all time favorite Tigers, bring him on in the interim while we search. Can't be any worse than what we have right now.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Dubose had been an assistant for 22 years when he got the top job.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
If they want to hire a guy, temporarily or not, that spends 1/2 his days in a weight room and the other 1/2 talking into a microphone I say go for it.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.